I thought I was doin' all right until...

mistee11

I took my hair out of my plaits from underneath my 1/2 wig just so that my head could breathe for a minute and lo and behold hair just fallin out all over the place. I look like a plucked chicken! :wallbash: I'm gonna have to start all over again! I thought I was doin' the damn thing with my MT, BT, relaxer stretchin' (it's been a little over 9 mos), wig and weave wearin... only to have my head end up lookin like who did that to her??? I'm so sad I could cry. It was just a month ago when I was marvelling at how much length I had acheived through all my efforts now I see it all in the sink with straggly once lengthy peices of relaxed ends barely hangin on. :nono: :whyme::cry2:

I don't know what happened! I guess it was overkill. Trying to do too much at one time. Don't do it y'all! Step away from the bandwagons!!

Hmmmm, you are sure it is not just naturally shed hair?

Also, are you sure you are internally healthy? Might you want to go to the doctor?

And are there any other major changes you have made in your diet or medication?

And are you sure your scalp is okay? Do you think you might need a dermatologist? It is an extension of our face and the rest of our skin, and hair loss is a clearer alert for when there may be a skin-related issue with the scalp. It was for my aunt.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Have a good cry and then a deep moisturizing conditioner. Your hair will grow - maybe slower than you want, but it will grow.

Are you sure that you aren't just freaking out at the sight of all the fallen hair? Maybe it's just shedding. I was freaking out about a week ago myself because there was hair ALL OVER wherever I went I was leaving a trail (shedding and breaking). I have been using Ayurvedic products and MegaTek (about a 19/20 wk stretch) and I SWORE last week that it was not working and I was becoming balder by the second, but this weekend when I got my hair done my SIL/hairstylist and the beautician that owns the shops she works at were both marveling at how much thicker and healthier my hair looked.

Maybe you should sweep up the hair, step back and breathe....It might not be as bad as you think...and may even be quite the opposite of what you are thinking. :yawn:

aww i'm sorry this happened to you..
i'm thinking it could be naturally shed hair. Hair is suppose to shed daily... maybe its just appears excessive as it happened all at once
don't worry it will grow

Also, are you sure you are internally healthy? Might you want to go to the doctor?

And are you sure your scalp is okay? Do you think you might need a dermatologist? It is an extension of our face and the rest of our skin, and hair loss is a clearer alert for when there may be a skin-related issue with the scalp. It was for my aunt.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, have you been keeping up with your moisturizing DC's while using the MT?

Do you know the difference between shedding and breakage? Shedding will generally have the white bulb on the end (which can be tiny so you'd have to look closely).

I gotta whole lotta crazy business going on internally... taking prescriptions for vitamin d deficit... taking high blood pressure med... have asthma and eczema... just to name a few. :nono:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, have you been keeping up with your moisturizing DC's while using the MT?

Do you know the difference between shedding and breakage? Shedding will generally have the white bulb on the end (which can be tiny so you'd have to look closely).

I moisturized with NTM Deep Hair Recovery and used a African Royale braid sheen spray and shea butter.

I took my hair out of my plaits from underneath my 1/2 wig just so that my head could breathe for a minute and lo and behold hair just fallin out all over the place. I look like a plucked chicken! :wallbash: I'm gonna have to start all over again! I thought I was doin' the damn thing with my MT, BT, relaxer stretchin' (it's been a little over 9 mos), wig and weave wearin... only to have my head end up lookin like who did that to her??? I'm so sad I could cry. It was just a month ago when I was marvelling at how much length I had acheived through all my efforts now I see it all in the sink with straggly once lengthy peices of relaxed ends barely hangin on. :nono: :whyme::cry2:

I don't know what happened! I guess it was overkill. Trying to do too much at one time. Don't do it y'all! Step away from the bandwagons!!
this sounds like shed hair. when i use to wear half wigs and i took out my braids underneath i had lots of shed hairs. everything's gonna be ok :bighug:

Are you sure that you aren't just freaking out at the sight of all the fallen hair? Maybe it's just shedding. I was freaking out about a week ago myself because there was hair ALL OVER wherever I went I was leaving a trail (shedding and breaking). I have been using Ayurvedic products and MegaTek (about a 19/20 wk stretch) and I SWORE last week that it was not working and I was becoming balder by the second, but this weekend when I got my hair done my SIL/hairstylist and the beautician that owns the shops she works at were both marveling at how much thicker and healthier my hair looked.

Maybe you should sweep up the hair, step back and breathe....It might not be as bad as you think...and may even be quite the opposite of what you are thinking. :yawn:

You may be right. I really can't tell ... for one I can't even comb my hair because of all the new growth. But hair seems damaged because all the relaxed hair is sparce.

I gotta whole lotta crazy business going on internally... taking prescriptions for vitamin d deficit... taking high blood pressure med... have asthma and eczema... just to name a few. :nono:

That is your problem...it's internal. All those health issues and the medication that goes with them. Especially the Vitamin D deficiency.

Of course, I never think it's a good idea to do too much at once because then it's harder to back track and figure what works and what doesn't. You probably shouldn't be doing too many different topical things while your body is in transition and getting healthy. So maybe scale back to one growth aid. I think stretching your relaxer is great, especially right now while your hair is weaker due to your health issues. And protective styles (wigs, etc.) will help you keep your mind off your hair.

Did you figure out whether it was shedding or breakage? I know when I was on prednisone (a steroid) my hair was really really really thin due to shedding, like half the amount of hair I have now.

You may be right. I really can't tell ... for one I can't even comb my hair because of all the new growth. But hair seems damaged because all the relaxed hair is sparce.

Do you think your relaxed ends have been breaking off? That happens if the line of demarcation doesn't get special attention (protein and extra moisture).

Thank you ladies for all the encouraging words. I will take a chill pill and calm down. My nerves are really bad. I had 3 grand kids this past weekend which was a long holiday weekend. I was supposed to get at least one day to my self. That didn't happen but it's ok I love them anyway. But I need a vacation.

Do you think your relaxed ends have been breaking off? That happens if the line of demarcation doesn't get special attention (protein and extra moisture).

Yes they are falling off. I was trying to protect them by wearing protective styles and moisturizing them with my braid sheen and oils.

Don't worry sugar...a size 12 looks like a size 2 when it's next to a size 18 too...if you get my drift! No:wallbash:....Just keep taking GOOD care of your hair and it will be alright! :grouphug:

Hmm...you've been stretching for a considerable amount of time. Your relaxed ends will probably look very thin compared to your natural due to the differences in strand density. It's not uncommon to see people who are transitioning also have thin looking relaxed ends. Your vitamin D deficiency may also lead to increased shedding, but I would wait to assess my hair after I got a relaxer or at least straightened if I were you-if your hair is healthy enough to relax

Last edited:
Yes they are falling off. I was trying to protect them by wearing protective styles and moisturizing them with my braid sheen and oils.

Braid sheen and oils do not moisturize in the technical sense. Oils, depending on which one, can actually coat the strand and make it harder for moisture to get in. Only a couple of oils can actually be absorbed into the hair strand (coconut, olive, I think there's another).

Braid sheen, depends what's in it, but generally it's a lot of crap and fillers. And if it's mostly oil then it's probably not moisturizing.

Moisture comes from water...and since you're using MT...you need all the moisture you can get. So you may need a water based moisturizer to put on before the braid sheen and oils.

Your hair just may not have been moisturized enough (along with all the other problems), especially if you're using the MT on the length of your hair and not just on your scalp.

That is your problem...it's internal. All those health issues and the medication that goes with them. Especially the Vitamin D deficiency.

Of course, I never think it's a good idea to do too much at once because then it's harder to back track and figure what works and what doesn't. You probably shouldn't be doing too many different topical things while your body is in transition and getting healthy. So maybe scale back to one growth aid. I think stretching your relaxer is great, especially right now while your hair is weaker due to your health issues. And protective styles (wigs, etc.) will help you keep your mind off your hair.

Did you figure out whether it was shedding or breakage? I know when I was on prednisone (a steroid) my hair was really really really thin due to shedding, like half the amount of hair I have now.

You are absolutely right!!! I'm on an oral inhaled steroid that I use daily. I know that it's breakage because I don't see any bulbs on the end of the hair and I look crazy (straggly permed sparcely remaining relaxed hairs on head).

I just read another post of yours about your scalp being on fire...and you having eczema...are you allergic to sulfur? or the ingredients in MT? or maybe your scalp is just too sensitive to be putting anything on it? or maybe it's a reaction with your medication?

I'm just throwing things out there. I think with all the medication you should probably discontinue using topical growth aids...and you definitely shouldn't relax. Focus on getting your body healthy first and protect the hair you have now.

Braid sheen and oils do not moisturize in the technical sense. Oils, depending on which one, can actually coat the strand and make it harder for moisture to get in. Only a couple of oils can actually be absorbed into the hair strand (coconut, olive, I think there's another).

Braid sheen, depends what's in it, but generally it's a lot of crap and fillers. And if it's mostly oil then it's probably not moisturizing.

Moisture comes from water...and since you're using MT...you need all the moisture you can get. So you may need a water based moisturizer to put on before the braid sheen and oils.

Your hair just may not have been moisturized enough (along with all the other problems), especially if you're using the MT on the length of your hair and not just on your scalp.

I agree about the braid sheen not properly providing adequate moisture (there's no olive, coconut or other penetrating oils) in it. I was using the MT on my scalp between my cornrows along with BT on some days.

I just read another post of yours about your scalp being on fire...and you having eczema...are you allergic to sulfur? or the ingredients in MT? or maybe your scalp is just too sensitive to be putting anything on it? or maybe it's a reaction with your medication?

I'm just throwing things out there. I think with all the medication you should probably discontinue using topical growth aids...and you definitely shouldn't relax. Focus on getting your body healthy first and protect the hair you have now.

I know I thought about all of that. I'm probably very sensitive to a lot of the stuff I've been putting on my scalp. My daughter told me as she was cornrowing my hair yesterday that I shouldn't even be thinking about a relaxer now because my scalp is so irritated and all the breakage going on. You all are so right about being careful about what I shouldn't be putting on my hair and just focus on trying to get healthy. My hair will grow naturally if I just stay out of it. Well I'm going to bed now so that I can get some healthy sleep. Thank you all so much ladies and good nite... signing off!

Love,

mistee11:grin:

Last edited:
Back