I think we have a winner . . .

OnlyErin

Redken Smooth Down. Good stuff! I got this because it was, in the words of the BSS owner "flying off the shelf" and she said it might help some of the dryness after my great chemical disaster. I got the shampoo, the Butter Treat, and the Heat Glide. Now, my hair was a little damp from the shower, so I smoothed in some Heat Glide. It's got the typical consistency of any serum - a little more heavy than Smooth Intense, but not as thick as Silken Seal. Nice smell (a little like orange blossoms). I noticed an immediate difference - my hair, which has been so bone dry since that disaster, felt smoother than it has in weeks, and a LOT softer. I was all
grin.gif
Seriously, this is the first time since the day after my "relaxer" that my hair has not looked like used broom.

Next, I decided to try out the Butter Treat, which on the bottle says can be used as a leave-in for "extremely dry and unruly hair." It's white and creamy, but a little sticky. Same scent as the Heat Glide.
ohwell.gif
I used a dab on a particularly dry spot, and woooweee! Softness! And I just checked - still soft.

So, this is working well for me. I'll reserve total judgment until I use the whole system (shampoo, Butter Treat and Heat Glide). I give it a tentative thumbs-up, though. One caveat - My hair responds very well to Redken products on the whole, so if your hair dislikes Redken products, this may not be for you. I think it's worth a shot though, esp. the Butter Treat. This morning I was thinking that I may have to do a "big chop" because my hair has so much breakage in the crown area and was so dry no matter what I did, but this Smooth Down stuff has me believing that in a little while, I'll be good to grow again.

OE

Sounds good OE - and whatever you do - DON'T CHOP.

I won't, if you won't.
wink.gif

Keep working on your hair. You'll be able to repair it with some TLC and attention....
smile.gif

Thanks for the review. Ever since I saw the pic on Faith's signature, I have been wanting to try this product, well at least the leave-in conditioner part of it!

I'm still looking for a leave-in conditioner that leaves my hair soft, moisturized, reduces shrinkage, increases slip, and is anti-breakage without being greasy for my 4b hair!

I was just thinking about buying this line due to my 20% off at trade secret. Did you try the butter treat as a deep conditioner yet? How did that pan out?

I just bought the Shampoo, Butter Treat, and Heat Glide today. I plan on using the Heat Glide tommorow and all three together on Thursday or Friday. I'm expecting great results since I've liked every Redken product I've used so far. I'm particularly interested in how the Heat Glide will compare to the Heat Treat. I also want to compare the Smooth Down line to the All Soft line. The Heat Treat really protects my hair from heat. My ends are still pretty even since my hair was trimmed in August. The Heat Glide seems to be a serum (which I didn't realize) and basically cones and oils.

Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide (protective smoother for very dry/unruly hair)
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-125 Akyl Benzoate, Fragrance/Parfum, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil/Macadamia Ternifola, Candelilla Wax/Candelilla Cera (D4952/1)

HOw did you like the heat treat?I tried the so soft line fo shampoo, conditioner and heavy cream and did not like it at all.

bump

Oh and just do a search for " Heat Treat" and you will find my raves for the Heat Treat as well as other reviews.

Back