I think my protective style is damaging my hair

sheca

This is my second time doing singlese twist (kinky twist but straight) and once I take them out my hair is shorter and weaker. My BC was feb. 12, 2008 and since then I've either had my hair out or done full sew-ins and it was growing beautifully. The 1st time I did my singlese twist was August 2009 and I thought it messed up my hair because I didn't take care of it...this time I washed it and moisturized. I feel like I've taken 2 huge steps back...help please! Has this happened to anyone else?

This is my second time doing singlese twist (kinky twist but straight) and once I take them out my hair is shorter and weaker. My BC was feb. 12, 2008 and since then I've either had my hair out or done full sew-ins and it was growing beautifully. The 1st time I did my singlese twist was August 2009 and I thought it messed up my hair because I didn't take care of it...this time I washed it and moisturized. I feel like I've taken 2 huge steps back...help please! Has this happened to anyone else?

What is your regime?

Are you moisturizing your hair while in the braids?

Maybe they are too tight, more info please

While in the singlese twist I apply Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine to my scalp and every 2 weeks I wash with Organix teatree mint shampoo then the conditioner, right after I apply aussie leave-in, care free curl leave-in and garnier leave-in. The teatree mint I jus started using, before I was using the Organix shea butter poo & conditioner

REGIMEN. Don't worry. We all have setbacks. This particular protective style may be one your hair doesn't like. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and go back do doing what you KNOW your hair likes. Give her the environment she likes to thrive in. If that's sew ins, then do those. You'd be surprised how a short amount of time doing everything your hair loves can get you back on track after a setback. Best wishes!

Thanks Smukie, I def won't be doing this style again, but I was curious to see if this was the case with anyone else who had done singlese twists or if it was just what I was doing.

I do them when I need to see a growth spurt, and I also do them on my sister (and clients). They may be too tight or too small. In either event, go with what you know and stick to sew-ins if they are a good PS for you.

Back