I think I've found the best iron under $40!

pink gator

For real!

I got tired of my FHI Technique burning my double-processed hair and didn't feel like spending $100 for a Sedu and waiting for it to come.

I was checking out the GVP on Sally's site and saw some other irons that were less expensive. One was a Hot & Silky, which is manufactured by Silk Elements, which I really love, for only $36 on sale this month (it usually goes for $39, which still isn't bad). It has SOLID ceramic plates, adjustable temperature settings (5), and excellent reviews:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Flat-Iron/SBS-234110,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair09-06

I wasn't crazy about the leopard print pattern, but for $36 it was worth a shot. I lightened my hair last night and ironed it with the Silk Elements Mega-Silk Leave-In Moisture cream as a protectant.

The iron handled well and straightened my hair on medium setting with ONLY ONE PASS. I was amazed! The construction is also quite sturdy and easy to use.

I have great swing and shine and I'm very satisfied!

Man, Silk Elements has it going on with the products AND the iron!

For those on a budget and/or don't want to spend too much on an iron, this could be a good bet; check it out!

I'm interested in purchasing a flat iron and I've been doing my research. I was actually considering the Sedu or FHI. I'm not fond of the pattern of the GVP either, I'd prefer a solid color. What is your overall opinion about the FHI, (considering money not being a factor)?

Last edited:
For real!

I got tired of my FHI Technique burning my double-processed hair and didn't feel like spending $100 for a Sedu and waiting for it to come.

I was checking out the GVP on Sally's site and saw some other irons that were less expensive. One was a Hot & Silky, which is manufactured by Silk Elements, which I really love, for only $36 on sale this month (it usually goes for $39, which still isn't bad). It has SOLID ceramic plates, adjustable temperature settings (5), and excellent reviews:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Flat-Iron/SBS-234110,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair09-06

I wasn't crazy about the leopard print pattern, but for $36 it was worth a shot. I lightened my hair last night and ironed it with the Silk Elements Mega-Silk Leave-In Moisture cream as a protectant.

The iron handled well and straightened my hair on medium setting with ONLY ONE PASS. I was amazed! The construction is also quite sturdy and easy to use.

I have great swing and shine and I'm very satisfied!

Man, Silk Elements has it going on with the products AND the iron!

For those on a budget and/or don't want to spend too much on an iron, this could be a good bet; check it out!

The FHI burned your hair? Please elaborate!:nono:

The FHI burned your hair? Please elaborate!:nono:

The FHI has only one setting, which is 410 degrees. I have really fine hair, and when I use it on full heat...or even if I let it heat up and unplug it and use it after a few seconds, my hair sizzles and smokes and I start getting little bits of broken hair everywhere. :nono:

The FHI worked splendidly when my hair was natural, but not since I've been relaxed.

I'm interested in purchasing a flat iron and I've been doing my research. I was actually considering the Sedu or FHI. I'm not fond of the pattern of the GVP either, I'd prefer a solid color. What is your overall opinion about the FHI, (considering money not being a factor)?

Yeah, those holiday editions of GVP look pretty tacky, even though the red roses one is kinda cute. Sally does offer a solid black one, though.

I really like FHI. My stylists (the one who used to relax me and the one who cuts) use it and swear by it...but they use the Platform models, the ones that cost a couple hundred dollars--with adjustable heat. The pink blowdryers is the truth, too. That will be my next purchase if/when my Revlon 1875 tourmaline goes kaput! LOL!

Cost not being a factor, I'd buy an FHI Platform.

There is, however, a thread here suggesting that the GVP is made by the same manufacturer of FHI--same features and everything, with adjustable temperature. When I come across it again, I'll return and link it here.

Back