I think I'm losing my hair!!!!!!!!!

IndianAngel22

This could be me overreacting but I sware I think I just lost a LOT of hair! So from my photo you can see where I started. I decided to do the hair weave challenge for the rest of 2008 and I got a sew in August something. It's now November 24th I took it down. Ok so granted I went maybe 3.5 to 4 months with this sew in. It didn't feel like it! But yea I had it at least 3.5 months. When I took it out I had TONS of new growth and I had to drench my head in conditioner to soften it up because it was almost matted but not really. I used a wide tooth comb to pick through section by section until I could get to my scalp. Hair was just coming out all over! I felt like I was maybe pulling it straight from my scalp! Was this all normal sense I had it in so long? I then brushed through it with a "white people" brush to make sure and even MORE came out. I'm now sitting with my ORS replinishing pack in my hair and I guess I should get under the dryer. I'm just so scared that I got all that growth and probably have no progress. Now when I balled all the hair up it didn't look like much but it was SO dense. It was really a lot of hair I just don't know what to think. Normal or not....... I'm scared:nono: Please someone help me. I haven't pressed it out yet but I'm freaking out. When I blow dry what if MORE hair comes out! :sad:

Don't forget you shed on average 100 hairs a day. If you had a sew in for 3.5 months, thats well over 10,000 hairs that didn't get to naturally 'fall out'.
(I know its like a lot.)
So you're gonna have a lot of hairs coming out when you comb it.

Take a look at this page from Grow Afro Hair Long:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Scroll down the page and read the section called:

Removing The Matte Technique Works On All Types of Afro Textured hair

Hopefully you won't be so worried after you read it and see how much hair should come out after 2 months of having your hair in braids/extensions... remember you had yours in for almost twice as long!

don't worry about the shed hairs. you've just collected four months of shed hair in your weave that was not allowed to fall out until you took down your weave. as long as you don't have bald patches in your scalp, then you are probably not losing any more hair than was to be expected

That's normal for your hair to shed that much hair after you have had it braided up and protected for so long.

On an average, humans shed 100 or more hairs a day. Just remember you did have your hair hidden away for 90 days or more. During that time, you weren't able to comb the hairs or even so much as let the shedding hairs fall freely.....so they just stayed locked up in your braided hair.

Hey, don't feel bad....I wear my hair cornrowed under my wigs for 2 weeks at a time...and I have so much shedding from that 14 day time span its ridiculious.

You are doing good by deep conditioning your hair after your sew-in. This will allow your hair to regain that much need moisture.

Your hair actually looks a lot healthier, to me. And it looks more even. Have you noticed any thinning patches or areas on your head?

Your hair actually looks a lot healthier, to me. And it looks more even. Have you noticed any thinning patches or areas on your head?

I haven't noticed any so far. It still feels pretty good I think. I called an emergency appointent with my hair dresser. She's gonna press it out in about 15 minutes and then give me a quick glue in for this photo shoot on Saturday so I don't have to do the braid thing. I'm gonna take comparison shots for everyone and hopefully it looks better and not in the same condition. *bites nails* I'm so scared.

Here's a photo of my hair today December 17th. It's been MONTHS sense my last photo, but judgeing from the photo, I think my hair is better but, shouldn't it be growing at a way faster rate than what it's at right now? Do you think I lost hair? It's just a quick photo my hairdresser took I didn't really have time to fix my hair right.

IMG002981.jpg

Hmmm, I don't personally like weaves or braids (extensions) because I always have a lot of thinning afterwards. I may get a lot of growth but then it is always really thin. So I don't do this anymore.

I can concentrate all my products on my own hair better when there is no hair added to it.

yeah sweetie it does look a little thin and whispy, you probably did have more loss than what was necessary by leaving the weave in too long. You can get back to where you were before again and beyond though , just gonna take a little time and tlc for your hair

yeah sweetie it does look a little thin and whispy, you probably did have more loss than what was necessary by leaving the weave in too long. You can get back to where you were before again and beyond though , just gonna take a little time and tlc for your hair

I dunno what to do :( I was supposed to be SO much further and I just feel like my hair is going nowhere :(.......I just wanna give up

I dunno what to do :( I was supposed to be SO much further and I just feel like my hair is going nowhere :(.......I just wanna give up

no sweetie, just no more weaves, or if you do , dont leave them in that long where you have your new growth all wrapped around itself and you have to rip through it, you can do this, you just have to take care of it meticulously while in a weave

when I braided I didnt leave it in for more than 5 weeks, of course I could have went longer, but I chose not to risk it

keep your nutrition up so your hair is growing at a healthy rate, if you dont feel it is, get some blood work done, and just be careful with leaving the weave in that long

and you will make a come back and inspire many, it aint over yet girl!

Hmmm, I don't personally like weaves or braids (extensions) because I always have a lot of thinning afterwards. I may get a lot of growth but then it is always really thin. So I don't do this anymore.

I can concentrate all my products on my own hair better when there is no hair added to it.

I completely agree.

also relaxing always weakens the hair so stay up on your protein treatments to keep your hair strong and of course keep your moisture balance with that

I think you will do better by just not leaving in a weave for that long

Don't forget you shed on average 100 hairs a day. If you had a sew in for 3.5 months, thats well over 10,000 hairs that didn't get to naturally 'fall out'.
(I know its like a lot.)
So you're gonna have a lot of hairs coming out when you comb it.

Take a look at this page from Grow Afro Hair Long:

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Scroll down the page and read the section called:

Removing The Matte Technique Works On All Types of Afro Textured hair

Hopefully you won't be so worried after you read it and see how much hair should come out after 2 months of having your hair in braids/extensions... remember you had yours in for almost twice as long!

Vestaluv1...whew...your siggy pic is SICKKK!!!...Scrumptously thick in ONLY 6.5 months! :drunk:

Back