I Think I Need Help....

Cheekychica

So I've been a member for almost a month now and in this short time I have bought:

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Morrocan Oil treatment
Chi Silk Fusion
Kenra Moisturizing CON
Keracare Hydrating Poo
Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe Desert Herb CON
Yes To Carrots CON
Yes To Carrots Mask
Joico K-Pak
Vatika Oil
Shikakai Oil
Linange Relaxer (unused yet)
Hooded hair dryer

And I am eyeing more! (Hairveda, afroveda, qhemet, hana elite)

I am overdosing on hair products, but this is not why I feel I need help (even though I do). I have started washing and deep conditioning my hair every week instead of the "whenever I think it's dirty" method I was using before. I think I may have started my HHJ too late... :wallbash:

Most of my life I've had short hair styles, sometimes a bit longer and I've been natural twice (I'll attach pics in the next post).

Here are some pics of my hair from last Saturday after washing, and while I'm flat-ironing (only once a week and then I wear wigs the rest of the time). I am 8 weeks post and it looks like a jungle to me. The back of my hair is so uneven and I think I have split ends. I need help. Should I cut my hair off? Just the ends? I'm torn (as are my ends!)

*pics deleted*

Last edited:
Umm, so where is the problem you are needing help with?

LOL, you've got a lot of good stuff...I came in here to make my product junkie joke but now I'm adding stuff to my Black Friday shopping list.

Umm, so where is the problem you are needing help with?

LOL, you've got a lot of good stuff...I came in here to make my product junkie joke but now I'm adding stuff to my Black Friday shopping list.

I know, I wasn't clear right! I am SO a PJ. However, I need help with my hair. I think I need to cut it to start off right. The back is just a mess. The front looks ok but at the back, OMG. Wow. It is breaking... Normally I would just cut it all off. I was wondering if there are any other solutions. :perplexed

Last edited:
well your hair is beaitful in all the pics.
but in the first set of pics it does look greasy and that could be causing a problem when you flat iron. causing the hair to burn and cause split ends if you thin you have them. what products do you use on your hair.
maybe flat ironing once a week is too much for you.

I know, I wasn't clear right! I am SO a PJ. However, I need help with my hair. I think I need to cut it to start off right. The back is just a mess. The front looks ok but at the back, OMG. Wow. It is breaking... Normally I would just cut it all off. I was wondering if there are any other solutions. :perplexed

Have you identified what is causing the breakage? I think that is important because if you cut your hair without addressing the breakage, as your hair grows out you may have the same issue. I say stop the breakage and once it stops you can have it trimmed/cut. Does that make sense? BTW, you have a great "pj" stash!

@ chebaby

Hmm...I was using a heat protector and then after I finished flat-ironing I took the EVCO on my fingers and passed my hand through my hair to the ends. I think I have all these products and don't know how to use them properly. If it helps, the heat protector is IC straightening serum (thats what the girl at Sallys recommended to me).

I did spray after with Olive Oil finishing sheen :perplexed... I wanted my hair to look purty for the pictures...

Well heat protector can only do so much. Heat once a week may be too much for your strands. Try going every 2 weeks and see if your hair does any better.

Well heat protector can only do so much. Heat once a week may be too much for your strands. Try going every 2 weeks and see if your hair does any better.

I'll try that, thanks. I will just air dry and braid my hair instead (since I will just put a wig on it anyway).

Try using the coconut oil (just a bit if you are going to flat iron) on naked, damp hair before anything else. It can help prevent damage. I suggest pre-pooing with it too.

Using heat can make damage that you didn't know you had show out. Almost 3 years into my journey heat has forced me to have to give up hair that I was trying to hold on to from before I knew as much about my hair as I know now.

I say ease up on the heat or roller set after a small trim.

Gorgeous pics btw!

Have you identified what is causing the breakage? I think that is important because if you cut your hair without addressing the breakage, as your hair grows out you may have the same issue. I say stop the breakage and once it stops you can have it trimmed/cut. Does that make sense? BTW, you have a great "pj" stash!

I think cutting my hair was what I've always done because it's the "easy" solution. I will just have to figure out what the problem is!

As for my stash, I tell myself that I'm just trying to find the perfect products and that I'll stop when I do. :lachen:

@ chebaby

Hmm...I was using a heat protector and then after I finished flat-ironing I took the EVCO on my fingers and passed my hand through my hair to the ends. I think I have all these products and don't know how to use them properly. If it helps, the heat protector is IC straightening serum (thats what the girl at Sallys recommended to me).

I did spray after with Olive Oil finishing sheen :perplexed... I wanted my hair to look purty for the pictures...
ewwww i hate that stuff. it made my relaxed hair so greasy:nono:. when i was relaxed i flat ironed once a week too and i didnt know that was too much for me. i know every hair is different but i still have to give the side eye to weekly flat ironing. i used two heat protectants and leave in and my hair still got damaged. plus with it getting colder that sounds like split end city.
coconut oil is good. it stops hair fall and it penetraits so thats good but you have to make sure its great for your hair.

As soon as you find the perfect products the stupid manufacturer either changes the good ingredients to crappy ones or discontinues it altogether, that's why I'm always finding back ups for my staples, and back ups for my back ups....that way I'm always prepared lol.

I think cutting my hair was what I've always done because it's the "easy" solution. I will just have to figure out what the problem is!

As for my stash, I tell myself that I'm just trying to find the perfect products and that I'll stop when I do. :lachen:

I was guilty of doing the same thing prior to joining LHCF. Heck, I was guilty of mistreating my hair horribly. I agree with the other responses - too much heat may be your problem. Just take it one step at a time. All of the ladies, including myself, are here to help!

I really wish I had known about this site when I was natural. The main reason I always went back to relaxer was because I wanted that straight look and I was bored with my fro. I swear to God I never knew about all the different hairstyles I could have attempted or that a flat iron could get my 4B hair straight (I need a new one)! :grin:

Just back in September before I bought my wigs, I was flat-ironing every single day after I worked out. My hair is too short for a bun or a pony and I needed to style my hair for work; I didn't know any better. :nono:

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I think I may trim, but I won't cut it all off. I will lay off the heat too. Should I invest in carusos? :sekret:

I started out trying to find the perfect stash and now have cabinets full of product that don't work. I've noticed (a little too late) that my hair does not like a lot of product. The more I experiment with the more I shed and break. From now on I'm going to try and keep it simple.

Rollersetting is a healthier option for the straight look. There are tons of threads and vids on YouTube too.

Before you buy anything else you should see if your current stash is working for you. Rotating products unnecessarily can cause a set back. I started building my regimen with low manipulation in order to access my hair needs, then the basics: Poo, Con, leave in/detangler, good brushes combs and tools, and plenty of research. I started adding and rotating from there. I learned alot about my own hair very quickly and kept hair on my head and away from the floor/sink.
Hth.

I used (half) wigs too. Convenient, huh?

Before you buy anything else you should see if your current stash is working for you. Rotating products unnecessarily can cause a set back. I started building my regimen with low manipulation in order to access my hair needs, then the basics: Poo, Con, leave in/detangler, good brushes combs and tools, and plenty of research. I started adding and rotating from there. I learned alot about my own hair very quickly and kept hair on my head and away from the floor/sink.
Hth.

I used (half) wigs too. Convenient, huh?

I live in an extremely dry climate. The one thing that I feel I am missing is a good moisturizer. I'm not sure if I should be using EVCO or EVOO (which I have) for that. Other than that I think I don't need no more Con! :nono: I am going to simplify but I do feel that is the one area in which I am lacking.

I am trying to stop my PJ ways though. Seriously. :sekret:

Back