I THINK I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE

bklynLadee

Hey Ladies,

I permed my hair less than a year ago, May Will be a year...and I am not thinking that maybe I made a big mistake. I always had nice textured hair, but I could never keep a style. I would blowdry my hair every week, but I realized that my hair was getting fried and it would not grow, it was thinning out and I wanted to wear my hair down, so I figured that I would just perm my hair so I can wear my hair down without applying heat. Well now my hair is still falling out by the tons...my pony tail is looking sorry! I just Chopped my hair not a BC but, my hair used to be armpit length and now its shoulder length...I am thinking about transitioning....buuuttt I dunno. Today, I am going out with my mom to buy some products so we can go on our Dare to Have Long Hair Adventure...but im afraid that Im gonna have to rock a halle berry if I want to transition, and I have a chubby round face, I dont think I will look good with long hair...and also...I love my hair I dont Know what to do...PLZ Help!

Divine Inspiration said:
I don't understand what the question is. :confused:

Same here. Are you saying that you don't want to cut your hair because you have a round face. I have a round face too and rocked ( and I mean rocked:grin: ) the Halle Berry cut for years. You'll look good with a short hair cut. If you are wanting to go natural there are alot of women and information here that can help you with your transition. Heck, you can even learn some new hairstyles:grin:

Before you cut or transition, perhaps you should take a look at what you are doing to care for your hair. I would say the first red flag is the once a week blow drying - that's A LOT of frequent heat.

What kind of shampoo, condition, treatment, MOISTURE products are you using. The ladies here have made some very good points about low manipulation, especially excessive combing and brushing.

Would you please be more specific about the methods you are using to care for your hair? I am certain that you will get excellent advice on ways to resolve the hair problems, but you need to be more clear about what you are actually doing and using right now.

Last edited:
Sorry for not being specific...

My question is...should I transition, or Can I have healthy hair with a relaxer.

My Hair regimine was...okay I admit it...WACK!!!

I basically, combed my hair and brushed it like 5x a day (Not kidding).
Sometimes I conditioned it, if I felt like it. Most of the time I did.
I shampooed with Creme of Nature
I conditioned with whatever the Domincans put in my hair (not even sure)
At times I would use Nexxus Emergencee
I used a lot of gel...JAM.
Did not grease my scalp, nor moisturized or sealed it in any way.

Okay, so I guess, I am realizing that I abuse my hair.

You know what I LOATHE about the Dominican Hair Salons...When they wash my hair, and they get to the ends, the rub the ends together like they are hand washing clothing. I have a strong feeling that, that is damaging to my ends.

Recently, possibly about 2 weeks ago, I stopped blowdrying my hair. I just prepooed my hair last night and I am going to get it washed.

Ultimately, what I want to know is, is it possible to have long, full healthy hair with a relaxer? What are my risks if I transition.

P.S. Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

bklynLadee said:

My question is...should I transition, or Can I have healthy hair with a relaxer.

My Hair regimine was...okay I admit it...WACK!!!

I basically, combed my hair and brushed it like 5x a day (Not kidding).
Sometimes I conditioned it, if I felt like it. Most of the time I did.
I shampooed with Creme of Nature
I conditioned with whatever the Domincans put in my hair (not even sure)
At times I would use Nexxus Emergencee
I used a lot of gel...JAM.
Did not grease my scalp, nor moisturized or sealed it in any way.

Okay, so I guess, I am realizing that I abuse my hair.

You know what I LOATHE about the Dominican Hair Salons...When they wash my hair, and they get to the ends, the rub the ends together like they are hand washing clothing. I have a strong feeling that, that is damaging to my ends.

Recently, possibly about 2 weeks ago, I stopped blowdrying my hair. I just prepooed my hair last night and I am going to get it washed.

Ultimately, what I want to know is, is it possible to have long, full healthy hair with a relaxer? What are my risks if I transition.

P.S. Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

Absolutely. Open just about any thread and you'll see that it's possible. And do a search on transitioning. The only risk I can think of is breakage at the demarcation line and dealing with the two textures.

I think you need to just familiarize yourself with this site and look at fotki's. Most of the answeres to the questions you've asked are posted here everyday so just look through the threads. It will all come together for you. :)

bklynLadee said:

My question is... Can I have healthy hair with a relaxer.

Just looking at most of the ladies on here answers this question.

I would say maybe you should think of how you like wearing your hair most of the time (straight, curly inbetween?); I was texlaxed and transitioned to natural recently but the relaxed ladies here have been really tempting me to reach for the cream again but I LOVE to colour my hair (usually light brown/ blonde) and i'm worried about looking after double processed hair plus I like big hair....

Basically think of the look you want to rock before you make a decision, HHG!

Just looking at most of the ladies on here answers this question.

I would say maybe you should think of how you like wearing your hair most of the time (straight, curly inbetween?); I was texlaxed and transitioned to natural recently but the relaxed ladies here have been really tempting me to reach for the cream again but I LOVE to colour my hair (usually light brown/ blonde) and i'm worried about looking after double processed hair plus I like big hair....

Basically think of the look you want to rock before you make a decision, HHG!

I usually leave my hair down, but then it gets severly dry, so I started wearing it in curls, I would just roller set and put a setting lotion and some mouse to keep it hard. But my hair kept falling out. I guess Im just going to have to maintain it. I dont think I will transition, I think I will texlax like every 6 months or something. Thank you all for being so helpful, I think I was just panicking, everytime I comb my hair, it sheds so much.

Back