I think I have Sun-Damaged Hair

NewlyNature12

This might be a dumb post so I apologize in advance.

Up until a few years ago I played softball in the hot Texas sun without a hat. The short term result: kinda cool red/blonde highlights in my hair. But now that I'm actively trying to grow my hair back to my previous length, I think that all that time in the sun damaged my hair.

I've had a series of chops in the past few weeks due to frizzy, ugly looking ends. They weren't split, but I honestly couldn't stand looking at my ends anymore so I had to cut. I've noticed that the ends of my hair (the frizzy ugly parts) are really highlighted by the sun, and they are a completely different texture than the rest of my hair, no matter how much TLC I give them.

I thought I'd post this because it's beginning to get hot here (at least in Texas, haha), and I wanted to warn you ladies. Here's an article from MSN:

http://women.msn.com/783251.armx

:)

Texas summers are BRUTAL. If you played ball in that with no cap, I'm sure that it must have damaged your hair.

Did that article say that oil protects your hair from the sun? If so, what kind of oil? Does the oil just help your hair retain moisture or does it actually act as a sunscreen? Does anybody know?

Okay, I'm off to see if my leave-in contains a sunscreen.

From the article:
"Deep condition your hair using a product containing keratin, jojoba oil, wheat germ protein or other natural ingredients that increase moisture, shine and elasticity."

That's really the only thing it says about oils. It does recommend that we use a sunscreen and leave-ins to protect the hair. I wish I had known that earlier!

It's funny that you posted on this subject today. i just got an e-mail from Redken about a new product line to protect your hair from sun damage. Here's some info:

http://www.redken.com/consumer/products/index.cfm?action=newredken
Introducing new UV Rescue for sun-exposed hair & scalp. Rescue hair and scalp from UV damage with a broadband environmental defense. Redken’s exclusive Interbond Conditioning System and an energizing
C2 Solar Complex help combat UV damage, dryness and discoloration to hair. Specialized ingredients help provide vital UV protection for hair, help reconstruct the hair’s internal structure and soothe and replenish the scalp. Hair is protected, revitalized and shiny. Why Hair and Scalp Need UV Rescue

There Are No Safe UV Rays

Physical Changes to the Hair from Sun Exposure
Gradual shedding of cuticle scales, and eventually their disappearance, makes hair rough, brittle and lack shine. Scalp can experience dryness and be prone to sunburn with prolonged sun exposure

Chemical Changes to the Hair from Sun Exposure
Amino acids oxidize resulting in the decomposition of lipids, reduction of intracellular cements and the overall weakening of the hair’s structure. Hair’s melanin oxidizes, disintegrates and discolors.

Sea and Pool Water Can Discolor Hair
Protect hair with UV Rescue Blonde Guard and Brunette Guard color-saving swim creams and help prevent “chlorine green” and brassiness caused by exposure to sea and pool water. Both products contain specialized ingredients that help block the absorption of minerals and help keep hair bright, smooth and shiny.

I've read an article where they suggest to dilute 1/2 teaspoon of sunscreen in water & sprits onto the hair to protect from sun damage...
perplexed.gif

Oh, most definitely the sun can damage hair! I live in Florida and love being out in the sun whether its doing yard work or hanging out on the beach!

Right after the summer everyone thinks I highlighted my hair cause I have those reddish blonde streaks going on (you can see an example of it in my hair album under hairstyles at work, second pic). I had read somewhere that permed and relaxed hair is much more prone to being colored by the sun cause the hair cuticle is much more vulnerable to damage due to the chemicals, or something like that.

Anyway, everything seems fine until the damage really starts setting in and along comes the incurable dryness and even some breakage. I use to be good about using hair products with sunscreens in them but I really slacked off last summer. I'm going to be much more diligent with the protection products this summer and maybe buy a few cute hats so I'll actually wear them. :lol:

dtachi said:
Oh, most definitely the sun can damage hair! I live in Florida and love being out in the sun whether its doing yard work or hanging out on the beach!

Right after the summer everyone thinks I highlighted my hair cause I have those reddish blonde streaks going on (you can see an example of it in my hair album under hairstyles at work, second pic). I had read somewhere that permed and relaxed hair is much more prone to being colored by the sun cause the hair cuticle is much more vulnerable to damage due to the chemicals, or something like that.

Anyway, everything seems fine until the damage really starts setting in and along comes the incurable dryness and even some breakage. I use to be good about using hair products with sunscreens in them but I really slacked off last summer. I'm going to be much more diligent with the protection products this summer and maybe buy a few cute hats so I'll actually wear them. :lol:
Oh yeah, born & raised in Miami, Fl myself & I went from Jet Black hair to Dark/Medium Brown Hair....
Frustrating... I loved my Jet Black color.... Dang sun & chemicals(relaxers)!!!!!!!! :angry2: :censored: :swearing:

Ashee said:
Oh yeah, born & raised in Miami, Fl myself & I went from Jet Black hair to Dark/Medium Brown Hair....
Frustrating... I loved my Jet Black color.... Dang sun & chemicals(relaxers)!!!!!!!! :angry2: :censored: :swearing:

LOL! Yeah, my hair is naturally a very dark brown. I didn't mind the sun lightening it up but I did mind the damage that followed. :mad: I should've seen that coming though.

Back