I think I figured it out: Work out hairstyles for Natural Hair

naturalmanenyc

I have been trying to figure out a good work out hairstyle that won't look a hot mess after 45 minutes to 1 hour of cardio and I think I've got it!!

I did a blow out and then a twist out. I have tried wet set twist outs but my 4a hair is fine so they take a few days to look fluffy and full.

Today I worked out, pretty hard, and my hair was still cute after I took off my headband. Granted, I did not do any floor work that would have required me to lay on my hair, but for a cardio work out a twist out on blown out hair does work well.

Feel free to post any other natural work out hairstyles.

Attachments

• Blowout - twist out.jpg
    Blowout - twist out.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Blowout - twist out - workout 1.jpg
    Blowout - twist out - workout 1.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Blowout - twist out - workout.jpg
    Blowout - twist out - workout.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 150
  • Blowout - twist out results.jpg
    Blowout - twist out results.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 148
I'm glad you've found something that works for you!

I can't have too much shrinkage so my styles have to prevent that. I tend to rock cornrows or mini braids. I have even rocked a puff but now that it's long enough to make a decent pony puff, I rock one of those with a headband to keep the tension on my edges.

My cardio of choice is dancing so I have to have a style that's also presentable for the environment.

I have tried out a few twist out styles for working out but so far this one works best.

With my Senegalese twist extensions it was no issue but now that I'm back to wearing my own hair, I had to come up with something.

Attachments

• workout hair - Senegalese twists.jpg
    workout hair - Senegalese twists.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 136
I luv the twist. I too was having the same problem except my hair is texturized. My go 2 style is the mini braids. I have 2 try doing my braid out on blow dried hair

Keep the ideas coming...as a transitioner I can use all the help I can get! I sweat in my head like crazy and my hair looks crazy after working out.

I had been wearing a bandana folded as a wide headband (it would be soaked) and not taking it off until I got home and then putting a silk scarf on the edges for a while to make it dry somewhat smooth. The humidity going on in my head when I sweat kills any kind of curl or definition that may have been there from any style..so I have to set it again or bun it. Curlformer sets on the top overnight and a bun or pinup in the back is an easy everyday style when Im too lazy to braid or twist it up for an out style.

Has anybody tried those dri-sweat headbands??? Sally's only had the cap when I went looking for it, but on amazon they have the headbands and I thought that might be helpful at wicking away sweat around the hairline.

Leslie_C

No, I never used the dri-sweat headband but found a review on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Jc0diGzqE

Keep the ideas coming...as a transitioner I can use all the help I can get! I sweat in my head like crazy and my hair looks crazy after working out.

I had been wearing a bandana folded as a wide headband (it would be soaked) and not taking it off until I got home and then putting a silk scarf on the edges for a while to make it dry somewhat smooth. The humidity going on in my head when I sweat kills any kind of curl or definition that may have been there from any style..so I have to set it again or bun it. Curlformer sets on the top overnight and a bun or pinup in the back is an easy everyday style when Im too lazy to braid or twist it up for an out style.

Has anybody tried those dri-sweat headbands??? Sally's only had the cap when I went looking for it, but on amazon they have the headbands and I thought that might be helpful at wicking away sweat around the hairline.

Back