I TEXLAXED, NOW WHAT?

tt8

I have thoroughly researched this forum and the texlax support thread about texlaxing but my questions still weren't addressed. So maybe you all can help and or offer up some friendly advice...

1. I used Mizani No-lye Medium. Do I need more moisture or protein with no-lye?

2. how often should you use lite or heavy protein beside the week after a touch-up?

3. Ceramides? WTH? and should I only be using products with them since I used No-Lye?

4. what are great leave-ins to use with no-lye treated hair

5. what are great moisturizers or particular ones to use with no-lye treated hair?

6. is wash n go out the question and or dependent if you relax with lye vs. no-lye?

7. are there particular shampoos to use

thanks in advance

I have thoroughly researched this forum and the texlax support thread about texlaxing but my questions still weren't addressed. So maybe you all can help and or offer up some friendly advice...

Im not a big expert on "texlaxed" or anything, but i used to relax, and not bone straight.....

IMO you need moisture and protein, although i've heard that no-lye drys hair out more because of buildup on the hair,---you may also want to use a chelating shampoo for that cause

2. how often should you use lite or heavy protein beside the week after a touch-up?
Some people do the heavy one every 8 weeks, and light one weekly, or just light one weekly, or medium one monthly---You just have to look at your hair and see when it starts getting week/breaking alittle bit, and go from there (imo)

3. Ceramides? WTH? and should I only be using products with them since I used No-Lye?
No, i havent looked into those that much, i see some of my products have them in there, but people have been doing well using no-lye without ceramides, i think their just like something extra, i dont think hair "needs them", just that they may do you some good.

Any you like---NTM, Lacio Lacio, 911, ect.

5. what are great moisturizers or particular ones to use with no-lye treated hair?
Any one you like as well---you have glycerin moisturizer, water based, oil based. I think what really maters is how your going to wear your hair. I think glycerin is good for airdrying hair and curls, oil based when your trying to keep your hair straight/from reverting (or a thick water based one)
--ORS moisturizers, Carefree, Elasta Qp's

6. is wash n go out the question and or dependent if you relax with lye vs. no-lye?
Were you saying what is wash and go? ---Im not really sure on any methods, but i know its no hassle/no bothering hair, just washing and scrunching maybe or throwing it back and thats it.
It doesnt matter what type of relaxer you have

Nope---You may want to use moistuerizing ones though
thanks in advance

Basically IMO your regimen doesnt have to change depending on if you are no-lye or lye that much, and you can do something similar to a person with relaxed hair regimen if you are texlaxed.

8. are there any deep conditioners I should use particularly for moisture level

No, whatever makes your hair feels soft and good---
Some good ones are Silicon Mix, ORS Replenish, ....I think people like the Nexxus hummectress, ....(cant think of anymore really poplular ones right now)

Congratulations on your new texlax, tt8! I have been texlaxed for a few years, but I've always used a lye relaxer. I think your haircare would be similar whether relaxed with lye or no-lye. I'll attempt to answer some of your questions:

1. I used Mizani No-lye Medium. Do I need more moisture or protein with no-lye? Whether using lye or no-lye, I think it's important to monitor your hair to make sure it's balanced, and if not, give it moisture or protein as needed.

2. how often should you use lite or heavy protein beside the week after a touch-up? I use a protein reconstructor (Motions CPR Reconstructor) during the touch-up process only. That's enough for me because my hair doesn't seem to need much protein.

3. Ceramides? WTH? and should I only be using products with them since I used No-Lye? Sorry, I'm not familiar with ceramides.

I absolutely love Giovanni Direct leave-in.

5. what are great moisturizers or particular ones to use with no-lye treated hair? I use a coconut oil/water mix as my moisturizer.

6. is wash n go out the question and or dependent if you relax with lye vs. no-lye? Humm, I don't know...I never do a wash and go.

I use Motions Lavish (diluted).

8. are there any deep conditioners I should use particularly for moisture level
I use Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner.

I hope my responses have been somewhat helpful.

Bumping for more responses please. I need answers also. I am in the same boat. I texlaxed a month ago and my hair is breaking off something terrible. :perplexed

THANKS fluffylocks and prospurr4!
Keep the suggestions coming ladies. Don't let me get breakage, etc.:nono:

Generally texlaxed hair needs more moisture. You already know about the mineral deposit issue so you are fine

Go based on how your hair feels. I know I already mentioned that I seem to need less protein now. I tend to use more mild proteins as well. One of my favorites is PauL Mitchell Hair Repair. Its very creamy and moistuizing as well so I just leave it on as directed, 3-5 mintues and then rinse every now and then. ORS Replenishing is mild protein but also very moisturizing. Use a little protein when you notice your hair being a little mushy and that you are not retaining moisture as well.
Ceramides are beneficial for all hair. They are not going to make or break you, they are another way to help your hair stay strong with flexibility. Ceramides have a cumlative effect. I personally am trying to add a couple of things to my regime that have ceramides. Its really up to you.
Stick with things that are moisturizing and that help you have managablilty. I personally like HE LTR leave in, giovanni direct, Paul Mitchell the conditioner and HE none of your frizziness leave ins. Ulta has sample sizes of the paul mitchell one and the others are not expensive.
My hair gets weighted down easily. Lately I have been using BB castor oil lotion or cantu cream. I don't really have to use them often though since my conditioners work very well
6. is wash n go out the question and or dependent if you relax with lye vs. no-lye? Wash and go ability depends on the degree of which you are texlaxed, your curl pattern before and your products and methods.

You probably won't have to change much of that. If what ever you have been using is working then stick with it
thanks in advance

HTH! TTYL ....

1. I used Mizani No-lye Medium. Do I need more moisture or protein with no-lye? I have texlaxed hari with Mizani No-Lye and I find that I just make sure to deep condition with a thick moisturizing conditioner. I use Keracare Humecto and I love it. I also still use my Redken Smooth Down line even though I'm texlaxed, because I kept a lot of my natural texture. It really helps with straightening if you straighten your hair.
2. how often should you use lite or heavy protein beside the week after a touch-up? I use a reconstructor during the texlax process, it's right after I rinse the Mizani out and before I neutralize with Mizani Neutralizing & Chelating Shampoo. I suggest that you buy that particular Shampoo if you haven't, my hair was hard and dry without that step (at first) but now it's GREAT.

3. Ceramides? WTH? and should I only be using products with them since I used No-Lye? I don't use any products with Ceramides. Can't help with that question. Maybe someone else can answer?
I love Redken Anti-Snap. It's a great leave in and it really has helped slow down breakage. I also like Redken Smooth Down Leave In. It's excellent!

5. what are great moisturizers or particular ones to use with no-lye treated hair? The best moisturizer I've used so far for my hair has been a great deep condition treatment (w/heat) when I wash and then after my hair is ready to be styled I add a little B&B Oil Moisturizer without mineral oil. That's about it. I don't need to add anything again until I wash.

6. is wash n go out the question and or dependent if you relax with lye vs. no-lye? I don't do wash n'go's on my hair. I sometimes wear a conditioner lace ponytail while I work out. That's about it. I just don't like how they look on me. But give it a try and let us know.

I suggest the Mizani Shampoo (Neutralize and Chelating) for the relaxer wash out only. Other than that I enjoy Keracare Shampoo or Redken. They both work great for me. I stay away from CON shampoo and conditioner, because it leaves build up, even though it gives GREAT slip. To each his own.

8. are there any deep conditioners I should use particularly for moisture level? Find out what works best for you. But I do like Keracare as a deep conditioner. I also really loved Perfect Results conditioners, but can't find the product here in my state anymore. Again try to find out what works best on your head. Every head is responds differently. :)

I can't wait to see....Where are the pic ????
Thank you guys for all your help. I am so wanting to take pix but I lost my camera battery and I am waiting for them to send me another. :wallbash:
I can't wait to take pix to see if I've had any growth on my OCT Challenge

Back