I swear my hair sucks up moisture like a vacuum@

*ElleB

Ever since I was a little girl, my mother would tell me "Dang, girl your hair is like a damn sponge!!!" I can moisturize at night, then the next afternoon, it is looking try like the Sahara! What gives?
ANd the fact that it has been cold here in NY,(for like 2 days, anyway, lol) doesnt help it at all....I'll comb my doobie (wrap) down in the morning and I can see the m oisture and shine from my moisturizer, then when I do a hair check in the bathroom at school that afternoo, it was looking all sickly :mad:

I just needed to rant, because now that I am on this new hair journey, actually making an effort to care for it properly it still don't want to act right!!!!

BTW, I use Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil, and I dabbled in Mango butter once or twice, (I just bought it...SO far it's aiight...I have to sit it on my cable box, (ghetto, I know) to warm it, so I doesnt go on White...)

3 words, Roux Porosity control. You can find it at any BSS, it comes in poo, conditioner and treatment, but I just use the conditioner after DC I leave it on for 30 sec. comb through and rinse.

Welcome to my world! Moisture and my hair are enemies it seems. Things have improved by doing CW's and deep conditioning more often. But my hair does still get dry by the end of the day.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
3 words, Roux Porosity control. You can find it at any BSS, it comes in poo, conditioner and treatment, but I just use the conditioner after DC I leave it on for 30 sec. comb through and rinse.

So u think my hair is porous? I've heard that term but I don't know what that means....And when I pick this is up, should use this as my regular condish?

Have you tried sealing in your moisturizer with a light coating of a natural oil? You can also try an ACV rinse to help your porosity issue until you get the Roux's...that or any other acidic rinse will help your cuticles close tighter and you'll be able to hold moisture much better:D If that works, you might not even need the Roux's.:lol:

Sistaslick said:
Have you tried sealing in your moisturizer with a light coating of a natural oil? You can also try an ACV rinse to help your porosity issue until you get the Roux's...that or any other acidic rinse will help your cuticles close tighter and you'll be able to hold moisture much better:D If that works, you might not even need the Roux's.:lol:

Well, only once, I used my Hollywood Beauty Oil over the Mango butter, but I didn't put the Mango butter all through the hair cuz it was turning white...THe Oil is a mixture of many oils...alot which I cant name right now, lol....

But thanks for the ACV rinse tip...How many parts ACV and water is that....?

Elle, I understand what your going through. I live in the NYC area too, I would follow the advice that the others suggested and also I would suggest that you do a baggie treatment once or twice a week. Just sleep with a baggie cap with oils over your head for the entire night and you'll be amazed at how much moisture you'll retain. Also you may want to use oils to seal your ends when wet, this has helped me alot!

*ElleB said:
Ever since I was a little girl, my mother would tell me "Dang, girl your hair is like a damn sponge!!!" I can moisturize at night, then the next afternoon, it is looking try like the Sahara! What gives?
ANd the fact that it has been cold here in NY,(for like 2 days, anyway, lol) doesnt help it at all....I'll comb my doobie (wrap) down in the morning and I can see the m oisture and shine from my moisturizer, then when I do a hair check in the bathroom at school that afternoo, it was looking all sickly :mad:

I just needed to rant, because now that I am on this new hair journey, actually making an effort to care for it properly it still don't want to act right!!!!

BTW, I use Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil, and I dabbled in Mango butter once or twice, (I just bought it...SO far it's aiight...I have to sit it on my cable box, (ghetto, I know) to warm it, so I doesnt go on White...)
My mother would say the same. Mango butter, etc did nothing for my hair which is super thick and sucks up moisture like a "sponge". Right now I and my daughters are having great success with Cantu products and a light coat of regular caster oil. Cantu is good but a small dab of caster oil over it will leave your hair moisturized for a few days.

my hair used to be very dry and suck up moisture quickly after taking msm, silica, flaxseeds and using suplhur oil, for over 3 months my hair retains moisture for much longer.

BeautifulWideEyes said:

BWE I am going to buy this for my sis....thanks for posting about it.

At the risk of sounding like a product pusher, I'd say clarify big time. Not w/ baking soda, ACV, or a clarifying shampoo but with something specifically designed to remove products AND mineral deposits. Moisturizing stuff will just sit on your hair (and evaporate) if it can't get in because of buildup. :yep:

sareca said:
At the risk of sounding like a product pusher, I'd say clarify big time. Not w/ baking soda, ACV, or a clarifying shampoo but with something specifically designed to remove products AND mineral deposits. Moisturizing stuff will just sit on your hair (and evaporate) if it can't get in because of buildup. :yep:

Now you know you can't come in here and not name a product! :lol: Any recommendations?

Back