I stopped using creme moisturizers in my hair =)

Which do you prefer to texturize?

• Yes, it's a must for my hair.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Occasionaly, but I don't depend on them.

• No, I don't use creme moisturizers.

• Yes

• No, not yet

• n/a

• Total voters

Sweetyb

I used to use CD HHB, CD Hair Milk, Protectiv Ends/Hair, Carrot Creme, ORS Shea Butter, ORS Olive Oil Creme, QP Mango Butter, and tried many creme leave-ins like Neutrogena and Nexxus Headress... but my hair would feel anything from too thick, sticky, greasy, and/or smelled real funky after a while. One thing that made me examine my use of such moisturizers was, funny enough, a thread about men who love good smelling hair! I've never had my hair smell fresh for more than one day because of the use of creme moisturizers. I've found, for me, that what I do in the shower matters the most for my hair, not necessarily what I put in it afterwards. I can actually say that I've FIIIINNALY found a shampoo and conditioners that work well with my type of hair. Once I found these products and learned how often I need to use them, I actually haven't had the need for any creme moisturizers for the past month *crossing fingers*
grin.gif
. I've found myself using leave-in sprays or braid spray (for my twists) and coconut oil, which is odorless. When necessary, I will rub a pill-sized amt of my hair milk on my ends, and that's it. My hair smells fresh, looks shiny (which has been my goal for a looong time), and actually feels... GOOD! I can touch my hair and not have to wipe my hands, I can actually feel my hair *tears of joy*. I really feel like it's a miracle, or a dream come true!

Have any of you ladies decided to cut back on creme moisturizers?

Re: I stopped using creme moisturizers in my hair

<font color="purple">I don't even mess with them, they suck the moisture out like a sponge. I'm sticking with good old-fashioned coconut milk, Hot 6 Oil and EVOO. </font>

I use Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme &amp; I love it. it's the best moisturizer I've used.

I'm lovin' the coconut milk thing, sooo far
wink.gif
. Do you use it as a leave-in though?

well i just rediscovered break free and its working so far. but i only use it at night
smile.gif

I like cream moisturizers but only if they're oil-based. Water-based ones just dry out my hair.

SweetyB you and I must be on the same wavelength. I remembered earlier when hairlove was talking about water vs oil based moisturizers. For my last press I only used an oil based moisturizer and my hair did not revert, however after a few days my hair started to smell stale.

Last night I washed and conditioned my hair but after I got out the shower I was too tired to do anything so I just put it in a ponytail, product free. When I woke up this morning my hair was soft and shiny.

I've used very small amounts of CD MHH for flat twists that I kept for a few days then washed out. My MHH is about 4/5 years old - I keep it in the fridge so it's still ok. Other than that, I've never used any of the products in your list. Oh wait... I bought the hair milk but couldn't get past the smell.

I used to feel the need to smother my hair in heavy products to "control" it, but I soon realized my hair was choking so I set it free.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I like cream moisturizers but only if they're oil-based. Water-based ones just dry out my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]
me too
ohwell.gif

What shampoos and conditioners do you use that are so moisturizing that you don't need a creamy moisturizer? Inquiring minds want to know!
grin.gif

I like Profectiv breakfree, I use it as a leave in and every night as a moisturiser. I like it because it softens and gives sheen and strenght, but its not greasy or heavy.

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
I like Profectiv breakfree, I use it as a leave in and every night as a moisturiser. I like it because it softens and gives sheen and strenght, but its not greasy or heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Profectiv Breakfree is the only creme moisturizer that i like so far.

I like ORS Olive Oil, I saturate my wet hair with it, especially the ends, after I shampoo then blow dry. Usually I don't have to add any other mositure until I wash again which is every 4-5 days.

I love using Headress has my creamy leave-in. I use Protectiv Breakfree at night. The only exception is Biolage Leave-in Tonic - a little more watery, which I also love. My hair always smells nice and fresh too.

Yeah, I've cut back. Even though I LOVE Mango Butter and ORS Carrot Oil, I'm happy with just some Healthy Ends mixed w/ EVOO.

As a natural, I've discovered some creme moisturizers work like a charm on me. The ones I try to stay away from are those containing petroleum or any type of wax (beeswax, paraffin, etc.).

I hear you Sweetyb, I even found a moisturizer thats ok and me and I still rarely use one. I mostly use serums to maintain my hair between washes.

I use very small amounts of ors olive oil lotion every other day after wetting my hair. I find that it locks moisture in. Can't say that it's a miracle worker, but it's good stuff.

The thing that REALLY helps my hair is watery leave-ins.

You've given me an idea! I'll see how my hair reacts to not using the moisturizer. It'll just be razac leave in conditioner, my oil mix, a little s-curl and some gel tonight. Maybe I'll wind up saving the 4 dollars that I use to buy the olive oil lotion every few months.
smile.gif

I've found that using moisturizers in moderation is best for my hair.
smile.gif
I use to place handfuls and handfuls of CD SoMM in my hair, now I just use a dab at best. I also save my olive oil based hair smoothies for the day before I wash ... it seems to be working out well that way.

Since I have fine hair, they tend to make my hair limp. And most of them have a fruity or floral smell and I do NOT like anything that smells loud. On top of that, if I wrap my hair up at night---it smells stale----hell, it stinks.
Furthermore, I don't think they really do anything "good" for my hair. Just a waste of $$$$$$.

[ QUOTE ]
IrisDaVirus said:
As a natural, I've discovered some creme moisturizers work like a charm on me. The ones I try to stay away from are those containing petroleum or any type of wax (beeswax, paraffin, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too!

I discovered this recently too. The less I put on my hair the softer it feels. Now I just wash with Dr. Bonners or black soap and once a week deep condition. My hair is much softer this way.

I spray occasionally with braid spray. My hair looks better too. A nice natural sheen, and it's so soft.

I figured back in the day women used to just wash their hair and put a little oil on it after. No need for leave in conditioners, instant conditioners. I'm trying that as my regimen. The only conditioner for me is a deep conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
mikki727 said:
I use Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme &amp; I love it. it's the best moisturizer I've used.

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that. It leaves my ends VERY
shocked.gif
moisturized
smile.gif
It also adds some shine to my hair

I use NTM leave-in mixed with olive oil before I roll my hair up at night. It works alright, but I am on the lookout for something better.

The more products I put in my hair, the worse it feels! I've kept to the same regimine for 7 months and the only moisturizer I use is Biosilk Silk Therapy. Not one drop of oil or creme has touched it since October. With cremes and oils my hair is way to heavy and everytime you slick your fingers through, there's a residue. yuck! When creme and oil is used in access all it does is attract dust and dirt. My philosophy is if you have a good deep conditioner, you won't need a heavy moisturizer--I light one will do just as well if not better!
wink.gif

Juju - does the alcohol from the Biosilk Silk Therapy bother you? Apparently, your hair is doing well with this product. I just learned that it contained alcohol and that scared me away from it.

Back