I should have known better...

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Saturday I had to buy some hair stuff, but I didn't have enough things for the $15 minimum for ATM/credit cards. The line was getting long, so I just grabbed a warm brown rinse from the Clairol Beautiful Collection since I wanted to cover up a couple of grays. Since it said no peroxide and no amonia, I grabbed it, paid for my stuff, went home and washed my hair.

When I rinsed the color out, my hair was hard and tangled :shocked:. When I got the bottle out of the garbage and looked at the ingredients, I realized it had cetearyl alcohol along with some other unrecognizable stuff in it. I used the Suave Coconut conditioner to detangle my hair, but it wasn't working. I ran water through my hair for 5 minutes, did a second conditioner, and then a deep condition with the Motions Moisture Plus.

My hair was back to normal and soft, but my hair thinned out in the process. I was sooo mad at myself because I knew alcohol dries my hair. Maybe that was the problem??? To top it all off, I washed all the rinse out of my hair and those stupid little grays are still there :(.

Well I learned my lesson:
-don't make quick decisions or freak out
-read everything about the product before purchasing
-do a search on the LHCF forum/ask a question

My hair has been growing well for the past year, thanks to all the great tips here. I guess I got a little education, and forgot how to act. :lol:

:o Can some give me some recommendations for moisturizing rinses. Thanks!

The type of alcohol in the product was a fatty alcohol and shouldn't have been a problem. It's in most conditioners. But it's not like rubbing alcohol.

I think what may have happened was that the protein in the rinse or, in the alternative, whatever is in there that causes the color to "stick" to the hair caused the strands to stick together and caused some tangling. That happens to me as well....

Your best detangler should have done the job of detangling well enough...I'm sorry it didn't.

At least you know now...

The only rinse I use is by Dudley's it is called blue/black. It leaves my hair so black and shiny. There are others on the board that uses colourshines I think it is by Sebatians.

Last edited:
I always do an instant conditioner after my semi-perm if I detect any hardness or tangles (like Tracy said the protein may cause it, but not always). Don't rake through it if it feels hard, just go straight to the conditioner. Motions Moisture Plus is a good one, or L'oreal Mega Moisture or GPB.

I don't think it was the alcohol that did it. Cetearyl alcohol is supposed to be beneficial for the hair. There must be some other culprit

CETEARYL ALCOHOL: A naturally derived alcohol that provides the creamy consistency of the conditioner and facilitates its application on the hair. Also functions as an additional lubricating and combing aid, helps prevent moisture loss, and adds richness and texture to the conditioner for uniformity of application. :sekret:

Thanks for the info and suggestions ladies!

That really freaked me out at first. I used Posners a long time ago to change my hair to black, and that didn't happened to me.

I have to check out these conditioners and rinses when I go back to the store because I used the last of my Motions Moisture Plus.

I'll do it again this Saturday. I'll be prepared this time :).

Back