I scratched my scalp so hard ....

Selene

I literally started bleeding. I am so frustrated with my hair. I've been to dermatologist, I have a great hair dresser (who has natural hair, used to have a relaxer) and I have topical perscription cream for my scalp. As some folks know, I have MAJOR psorasis. It flares up with stress, and in my field, that's unavoidable.

I am wondering if having a relaxer has any effect on my scalp condition. My stylist is careful not to get relaxer on my scalp, but I am wondering if I need to just break down and wash my hair every day...I don't see how I could possible maintain my relaxed hair in a good state doing that. Not to mention the time constraints.

Any advice for me...

maybe daily conditioner washes will do ok? my mo had the same problem and she went natural because of it. try to lightly scratch your scalp with a comb. it will help ease the flakes off your scalp letting it breath easier and it will save you from having to do deep digging with it. and keep oils ans such off of your scalp, my moms doctor said the oil wasnt helping her situation b/c it just caused more buildup on the scalp that it had to try to get rid of or sometihing like that.

anywho, my mom is doing mUCH better now that she is natural. she started co washes daily and now she can go like 5 days without a wash. her scalp is much better and she is loving it!

Blaxel-- I am an attorney as well. You could do a conservative chignon (using a real bun if long enough, or a small piece to enhance as necessary). Also, your wig need not look like Beyonce or anything. There are some really nice short wigs that could emulate your hair; it would just look like you've been to the beauty salon. A woman in my office had a weekend incident at a hairdresser and I never knew!! I kept on complimenting her on her hair (innocently really), and she finally broke down and told me she had a mishap over the weekend and had to buy a wig. It just takes good shopping to find a good wig, if that's an option that could assist you. Good luck.

If you are considering going natural, believe me when I say that there are attorneys who wear their natural hair.

Natural hair is neat, professional, classy and can be conservative.

Being in Corp. Finance myself, I wear either a curly fro or a curly puff every day. As you know it is illegal to discriminate against a person because of their race, etc.

Our kinky, coily hair is part of our genetic makeup. We cant do anything about that. Yet we shouldnt feel like we have to change who we are to make others feel comfortable.

I just gently say that to say, dont let your job dictate your hair choices. Research some styles that my fit with your personal style and feel good about that.

With a skin condition, it is best to treat it carefully. My husband had the condition as well. Every blue moon he gets painful pimples in his scalp and must sleep on a dark colored pillow case at all times due to the bleeding that can occur simply from rolling over in bed.

Tee tree oil helped IMMENSELY. Shea butter mixed with aloe helped heal his scalp as well. Non Drying shampoos relieved the itching. And massaging his scalp with Surges Motion Lotion (it has I believe 9 different oils in it) keeps his scalp soft, moisturized, and itch, flake free.

Definitely ask your doc about the benefits of refraining from using the relaxer. I got a scary pic from a sis with follicilar degeneration. She had a scalp conditon. Her doctor told her to avoid the relaxers, but she felt they were "neccesary"...as a result she has severe baldness now.

Not saying that will happen, but dont risk it for the sake of "beauty" if you can help it.

I have great books on the benefits of some natural oils that may help...other than the ones I have listed here. If you would like them...PM me and I will be thrilled to share.

blaxalrose,

how long have u been relaxing? how often do u relax?

If I had psoriasis in my scalp, I definitely WOULD NOT be relaxing my hair.
frown.gif

I agree with what has been said. My mother suffered from the similar thing. She had gone to the dermatologist and tried the fungal shampoo, but it still didnt work to prevent the sores. She eventually went natural and her scalp is thanking her for it. She no longer has the sores.

Well she is transitioning, but she just needs options for now until her hair is at a length that she is comfortable with.
smile.gif

Blax, I agree with what was said before. There are some VERY realistic wigs out there. Curly, Straight, Short, Medium Length etc. You might want to check that out, because it would cut down on some of the everyday upkeep of your relaxed hair.

BlaxalRose, have you tried doctor's prescribed FS Dermasmoothe scalp oil? It helps with scalp irritation.

Also, try Parnevu T-Tree Scalp Oil. It helps with itching.

I had scalp irritation from Affirm Fiberguard No-Lye perm and it stopped once I switched back to Affirm Lye. But if you are having severe irritation, then I would consider not relaxing at all.

I agree with wearing the cute "phony buns". I think they will look very professional and nice at work.

Blaxal,

You know I'm an attorney as well. And I'm transitioning. A short afro IS conservative enough. Also, a short wig is also conservative. I literally can't wait until all my hair is natural. I'm going to wear the biggest fro that I can. Hopefully it will stick out about 7 inches all over. But then again, I'm known for not conforming. Always have been like that. Even when I was clerking in the private area, the other clerks were holding their breath while I said what I thought and at the end of EVERY clerkship, I was complimented on being open and honest. Guess who was most sought after?? I got specific call-backs whereas the others had to go back through the interview process.

IMO, you should certainly stop the chemicals. I tend to believe that the relaxer is exacerbating the condition.

And think about this, if you HAD to wear your hair natural because you were allergic to all the ingredients in it, do you think that they would get rid of you because you choose health over a style? I'm pretty sure you don't want to be bald. But if you keep scratching like that and getting scabs and healed over skin, no hair is going to grow from those spots and it will inevitably spread to other areas.

Check with the doctor about refraining from relaxing. As I see it, you have one of two choices - refrain from relaxing or choose another profession.

Blaxal...feel free to check out my transitioning album.

I did it for 7 months until I got a length I was comfortable with.

I wore a style similar to my natural hair. The 2 strand twist bantu knot out. I have had many compliments on it and one of the words used was "classy"...not bragging just explaining that I appreciate conservative styles myself...and my transition style fit that category. I no pood all during the transition and that helped me keep my ends until I was ready to cut them.

The password is "In Transition".

Feel free to take a look.

Wishing you the best.

I think my boyfriend might have the same thing you do. He hasn't been officially diagnosed, but the symptoms look to same - flakes that accumulate more and more if he doesn't wash often and the occasional scalp bleeding. It's not so terrible for him, but I imagine that if he had relaxer chemicals applied, it be 1000 times worse.

It sounds like you ought to just bite the bullet and do what you have to do to have a healthy scalp. You probably should wash every day or every other day to keep the itching down. Better that that scratching until you bleed.

I feel for you chica. Hang in there. Have you tried aloe vera gel and oil?

Shea butter is an excellent slow healer and made my hair super soft through transition and beyond.

Olive oil and honey is an excellent healing/moisturizing deep conditioner that you can use also.

Since you sensitive skin and a medical condition to boot...you might want to try as many natural products withough preservaties or harmful synthetics.

Do what you can. Hopefully your life situation will calm down and the flare ups will calm down too.

Contact adrienne0914. I believe she has/had psorasis. It's her hair that you see at the top of the homepage. I know that she'll have some good suggestions for you and she also has a relaxer.

Good luck.

I used to have the same exact same problem! I used to get horrible flakey patches on my hair line. Also the only area that would burn during relaxing no matter how short it was in my hair
ohwell.gif
Then I would scratch till they bled. Anyways I haven't had them in a couple of months now
clap.gif
I started washing every 3 days and stopped blowdrying. I would suggest washing more
smile.gif

Maybe you should start taking flax oil with lignans. I don't know if it'll help for psorasis on the scalp but it'll help if you have it on your face, etc. I had psorasis on my forehead and after taking flax oil for a while it's completely gone. My skin isn't dry or flaky at all, it's smooth and soft. But maybe that will help.

When my scalp is itching sometimes I take benadryl. or any otc antihistamine. It only works temporary, but it can help take the itchies away till you fall asleep. They can be abused though, and they cause drowsiness. Abusing them could cause tearing in your upper GI. So if you do take them dont make it a habit. Has anyone else tried benadryl when they have the itchies. I will when ive braided my hair and cant comb it for awhile...and its itchin like crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
I literally started bleeding. I am so frustrated with my hair. I've been to dermatologist, I have a great hair dresser (who has natural hair, used to have a relaxer) and I have topical perscription cream for my scalp. As some folks know, I have MAJOR psorasis. It flares up with stress, and in my field, that's unavoidable.

I am wondering if having a relaxer has any effect on my scalp condition. My stylist is careful not to get relaxer on my scalp, but I am wondering if I need to just break down and wash my hair every day...I don't see how I could possible maintain my relaxed hair in a good state doing that. Not to mention the time constraints.

Any advice for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

EMU OIL, is a cure for your problem. it is know to help psorasis as well as eczema. try it.
smile.gif

Back