I saw my cousin this weekend...I couldn't believe her hair progress!!!!!!!

RabiaElaine

Hi ladies :wave:

Just thought I'd share. I saw my cousin this weekend whom I haven't seen since her wedding in January. Her hair was up in an updo at the wedding so I couldn't tell how long it was at that point. Anyway her hair last year this time was about about neck length. Anyway leading up to the wedding I didn't really see her hair out much, she kept it weaved up. She even had a weave at her wedding which was pinned up into an updo.

This weekend she didn't have in her weave anyway her hair is very healthy and past APL but not quite BSL :eek: . I couldn't believe it. I've never seen her with hair that long. She said it was from resting her hair in the weaves. She made sure they weren't done too tight, so she didn't suffer any hair loss from them, her hairline was fully in tact because she left the front out of the weave.

Anyway I just thought I'd share. This is even more inspiration for the "Hide Your Hair til Christmas Challenge" and the "Weave Challenge".:D :D

CandiceC said:
That's great!

Does she follow some of the other tips we follow here?

Some...she doesn't abuse her hair with heat. She does regular treatments. She covers her hair at night. She follows general hair care rules, but not as many as we do here, and even still she's retaining her length. I can't wait to see how much hair she gains after her next weaving stint.

Good for her!!! :)

This is a sew-in weave right?!

I wanna 'hide my hair' but, I'm scared of any and all weaves since having my first glue in weave about a year and a half ago.
That's how I found yawl. (LHCF) I had to find away to get my hair healthy again...:ohwell:

apples said:
Good for her!!! :)

This is a sew-in weave right?!

I wanna 'hide my hair' but, I'm scared of any and all weaves since having my first glue in weave about a year and a half ago.
That's how I found yawl. (LHCF) I had to find away to get my hair healthy again...:ohwell:

Yes it was a sew-in. Glue in weaves are the devil :mad: in my opinion. It's no wonder that you had to look for us. I had a glue in once for a few weeks and I suffered damage.

You can try quick weaves if you want to hide your hair. But if you do want to explore the sew-in weave route, you should check out Reniece's album, www.reniece.com. When she started her hair care journey, she had just come out of using glue in weaves to make her hair look thick, and she ended up suffering a lot of damage. She then switched to sew-in weaves (that she did herself) and her hair grew from paper thin above shoulder length to thick long BSL hair. Read the comments in the album, she answers a lot of questions about her weave regimen.

Reniece is the one who inspired me to start doing my own weaves. I've been using braids, but they are taking to long to put in and I don't have the patience. I have a lot more styling options with weaves anyway. I'm going to try doing my own weave for the first time in the next few weeks. I think learning to do your own is key, because you can control how tight you are braiding and sewing. My cousin doesn't do her own, because the lady that does hers knows how to put them in properly without stressing her hair.

Anyway there are other options for hiding your hair, buns, phonyponies, updos, quickweaves etc.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Hey great!
Thanks so much RabiaElaine!! :)

I've been wearing buns for over a year now--and I've had good results! (Imma complete my fotki one of these days so yawl can see my progress) :look:
But I'm a lil sick of buns now.... I wanna do something different as far as protective styles go...:ohwell:

Oh my goodness! Reniece's hair is beautiful! I haven't had time to read all the comments yet, but I skimmed the pics..... All I can say is wow!

I had never thought of doing my own sew-in weave...... but let the record show, that I can't really 'braid'. I can do french-braid types of braids (like one or two down the back of my head)....but not "braid-braid"...:perplexed

Congrats to her! I want to join the cover it till Xmas challenge but I'm not good at sticking to things. I was thinking of weaving it up this summer but I wasn't sure if it would be too hot to have a weave...

RabiaElaine said:
Anyway there are other options for hiding your hair, buns, phonyponies, updos, quickweaves etc.

But do you not think that she was able to retain the growth because the hair was plaited? My sister does nothing out of the ordinary for her hair, and despite me spending £100's on hair care her hair is growing out nicely becuase she is constantly in weaves. I would love to do a 'weave it up' cheallenge untill christmas but it is alot harder for me as i live away from home as im at uni; and its usually my mom or sister that hooks me up with my weaves. So unless i step up my weaving game i'll be unable to do this :perplexed .

But i guess i can always try and learn ;)

Sabina said:
But do you not think that she was able to retain the growth because the hair was plaited? My sister does nothing out of the ordinary for her hair, and despite me spending £100's on hair care her hair is growing out nicely becuase she is constantly in weaves. I would love to do a 'weave it up' cheallenge untill christmas but it is alot harder for me as i live away from home as im at uni; and its usually my mom or sister that hooks me up with my weaves. So unless i step up my weaving game i'll be unable to do this :perplexed .

But i guess i can always try and learn ;)

I don't think it was the braids themselves under the weave, but it was the fact that her hair was protected. She couldn't pull a comb through it every day. She didn't leave her weaves in for longer than 2 months either. I'm going to follow Reniece and leave mine in for 4-6 weeks, but more likely 4 weeks.

When I use my quickweave I cornrow (larger cornrows) the hair that is hidden under the the weave. So you can use a quickweave, almost like a sew in. The good thing about the quick weave is that you can remove it and get to your hair when you want to. I will wear these in between weaves.

I think you can learn to do your own weaves, all you need to do is cornrows (nothing fancy) and basic sewing skills. You can buy a video to help you learn how to do them, I bought one from a someone on this board. Check out the product exchange forum, you should see her thread.

Back