I really Need Somebody to talk to....

michaela

Natural 4b
Once again im Depressed. Im like a newly natural Because as a Natural i just Started Taking care of my hair Meaning No Heat What so ever( i stopped getting presses sinces its Summer). Well My Stylist an Older Lady she is a very Nice Women. Its just that the Things she Says Get To Me Alot.
I really dont appreciate her Telling everybody My buiness. I know im a teenager and all but come on Now i give her respect all the time so why cant she do this to me? School Starts in Sept and I really Need to Get Focus Im just realizing HAIR is taking part of my Life ALOt I may Sound Crazy but it has Effected my Family Friends and Guy Friend. It Takes 5 Hours a Day For me to Patienly to Do My hair. When i had Presses I really wouldnt Touch it alot No manipulation at all so that is a Huge plus Im just sick and Tired of Trying Moisturizers/Shampoo and Conditoners.
She is okay with me Shampoo/Conditoning/ heat protectors and Blow Drying My hair All She Will Do is Press it(every 3 weeks). I take Ap Classes in Highschool and i need to be really Focused in Class.So i dont think i will do well with a 5 Hour Hair Slumber Party . It was Really Fun Using No Heat Over the Summer i Enjoyed it Because i had Nothing at all to do Just a few Essays. Not Anymore.
Any people in College/School Etc Can Relate to me:perplexed
and What Can i do About my stylist? Should i have a talk with her?

Thanks for Everybody who reads this i know its kinda long but im Confused???? Help would Be Greatly Appreciated!

Honey, I feel your pain, I was natural in High School as well, and it used to take me a lot of time to do my hair before school. But not 5hr fortunately. Does that mean that you wake up very early in the morning to get ready every day. :sad: That's way too much time, you may need to find an alternative so you can have the 8hr sleeping that you deserve:grin:

To cut down the 5hr, you should try another hairstyle like wash'n'go, braids, twists or cornrows, that way you can leave your hair alone and let it grow and grow. Same thing for braid-outs and twist-outs. Whenever I don't have time to do my hair, I would put a nice Silk scarf on my head and I am ready to go. Real silk scarves are very expensive but I get mines in some second hand shops, so I have a large collection. I always get complimented on them. Hiding my hair helps me focus on other features of my face, so I always make sure to wear very nice earrings and to adjust my make-up so my eyes can pop up.

As to the stylist, you may need to talk to her. Everybody needs respect. Talk to her and she still goes on the same way, just tell her your disappointment and look for another stylist.

Hope that makes sens

Take care.

D

What exactly are you doing to your hair that it takes 5 hours to do? I'd look up styles/techniques that arent that time consuming. Also I'd get rid of that stylist. You dont need anyone thats gonna make you feel bad about yourself teenager or not. You are PAYING this woman to do your hair. She works for you and if you dont like what she does than be respectful to her and moreso to yourself and walk away. I'm sure there are plenty more stylists out there to choose from.

Good luck!

Once again im Depressed. Im like a newly natural Because as a Natural i just Started Taking care of my hair Meaning No Heat What so ever( i stopped getting presses sinces its Summer). Well My Stylist an Older Lady she is a very Nice Women. Its just that the Things she Says Get To Me Alot.
I really dont appreciate her Telling everybody My buiness. I know im a teenager and all but come on Now i give her respect all the time so why cant she do this to me? School Starts in Sept and I really Need to Get Focus Im just realizing HAIR is taking part of my Life ALOt I may Sound Crazy but it has Effected my Family Friends and Guy Friend. It Takes 5 Hours a Day For me to Patienly to Do My hair. When i had Presses I really wouldnt Touch it alot No manipulation at all so that is a Huge plus Im just sick and Tired of Trying Moisturizers/Shampoo and Conditoners.
She is okay with me Shampoo/Conditoning/ heat protectors and Blow Drying My hair All She Will Do is Press it(every 3 weeks). I take Ap Classes in Highschool and i need to be really Focused in Class.So i dont think i will do well with a 5 Hour Hair Slumber Party . It was Really Fun Using No Heat Over the Summer i Enjoyed it Because i had Nothing at all to do Just a few Essays. Not Anymore.
Any people in College/School Etc Can Relate to me:perplexed
and What Can i do About my stylist? Should i have a talk with her?

Thanks for Everybody who reads this i know its kinda long but im Confused???? Help would Be Greatly Appreciated!
YES, YES YES!!!
I will be attending a university this fall, I have two wonderful children, and a DH! I have noooooo time to be all in my hair. This summer I did, but I CANNOT continue this into the fall. So I was wondering what to do, because I cannot be so focused on my hair all day.:nono:
I say go very low maintenance. I mean so low, it takes you a few minutes. Also, tuck that hair away, when you leave it alone, it grows, and you don't think about it. My sister got GREAT growth doing this, and she swears buy it. Just do the staples like moisturize! DO what is best for YOU!
Standing up for you is a must. If you don't like what she is saying about you, pull her to the side, BE CLASSY, and tell her what you don't appreciate. You have so many things going on with you, you don't even have time for BS from a stylist.:nono:
I wish you luck, in school and with your hair!:yep:

Honey, I feel your pain, I was natural in High School as well, and it used to take me a lot of time to do my hair before school. But not 5hr fortunately. Does that mean that you wake up very early in the morning to get ready every day. :sad: That's way too much time, you may need to find an alternative so you can have the 8hr sleeping that you deserve:grin:

To cut down the 5hr, you should try another hairstyle like wash'n'go, braids, twists or cornrows, that way you can leave your hair alone and let it grow and grow. Same thing for braid-outs and twist-outs. Whenever I don't have time to do my hair, I would put a nice Silk scarf on my head and I am ready to go. Real silk scarves are very expensive but I get mines in some second hand shops, so I have a large collection. I always get complimented on them. Hiding my hair helps me focus on other features of my face, so I always make sure to wear very nice earrings and to adjust my make-up so my eyes can pop up.

As to the stylist, you may need to talk to her. Everybody needs respect. Talk to her and she still goes on the same way, just tell her your disappointment and look for another stylist.

Hope that makes sens

Take care.

D

As of now My Sleeping Schedule is JACKED! i mean i stay up Over nite starting from 8 til 3am Doing it. I so use to staying up at nite to do my hair so I go to Bed around 11am:nono::nono::nono:
My Social Life has went Down the Drain and im Not HAPPY:cry3:
. I Really Love Scarves But We Have Uniforms and i dont Think My School Would Like that at all. Me and My princaple Dont Get Along LOL he was my Ex-German Teacher and Yeah he Will Quickly Put me in my spot After all the times i had it out with him:lachen:
I will talk to my stylist.

:perplexed
What exactly are you doing to your hair that it takes 5 hours to do? I'd look up styles/techniques that arent that time consuming. Also I'd get rid of that stylist. You dont need anyone thats gonna make you feel bad about yourself teenager or not. You are PAYING this woman to do your hair. She works for you and if you dont like what she does than be respectful to her and moreso to yourself and walk away. I'm sure there are plenty more stylists out there to choose from.

Good luck!

Thanks.
The Only Real Reason Why it takes 5 Hours For me To Do my hair well Because i have Very Tangly Hair Its Crazy one Wrong Move and im Done:wallbash:
She only Charges 7.50 Compare to 30.00 But i dont Care About the Money I know A Reallly great Sallon Jc Pennys Who Flat irons Hair my Friends One Who is Biracial (black and Mexican all Natural) And the other Who is Relax Shes Black. They Go there and I fall in love once i see the Results. I went There one day i Got Curls For Home Coming. I loved it!
I have a huge problem.....white Women/men in the salon do Great hair Hands Down but i dont like Getting weird Stares when getting my hair done. When it Comes to things like that im very Shy/scared The salon is more of a all White Salon Compared to the one i go to.:ohwell:

YES, YES YES!!!
I will be attending a university this fall, I have two wonderful children, and a DH! I have noooooo time to be all in my hair. This summer I did, but I CANNOT continue this into the fall. So I was wondering what to do, because I cannot be so focused on my hair all day.:nono:
I say go very low maintenance. I mean so low, it takes you a few minutes. Also, tuck that hair away, when you leave it alone, it grows, and you don't think about it. My sister got GREAT growth doing this, and she swears buy it. Just do the staples like moisturize! DO what is best for YOU!
Standing up for you is a must. If you don't like what she is saying about you, pull her to the side, BE CLASSY, and tell her what you don't appreciate. You have so many things going on with you, you don't even have time for BS from a stylist.:nono:
I wish you luck, in school and with your hair!:yep:

Thank u So Much!
I wish u the same Too.

You should not be doing your hair every day. 5 hours a day is crazy! I spend less than that each week and my hair is a very tangly knotty type and I have a lot of it. Put your hair in a style that can last a week. If you aren't yet good at styling, do twists. Those are the easiest to master. After detangling your hair put relatively small twists in and they should last you a week. When the week is up, wash your hair in the twists and immediately after (do not let them dry) take them down one at a time, add a little moisturizer to the undone twist, comb it out gently and twist it back up.

There are many routines that you could try and things you can do, but what's above should be easy, prevent tangles, and should mean you don't have to mess with your hair for a week at a time.

Good luck.

Stylists sometime look down to the young customers. They think we don't know much, and we willl listen to their every word haha. LAME... Anyway wear some kute braid outs or natural puffs! They always look kute and fun looking. Don't get frusrated ova the hair. If all else fails put it in a pony tail and bun it. Or you coould find a kute afro wig and wear it. People will think it's you're real hair lol. My friend found this kute one in Sally's the other day. She just did the BC this summer, the afro is bigger than her real hair but everyone thinks it's hers loool. You'll do well in school, just don' spaz out on me over something as little as hair. Get some kute hair accessories and rock dat hair gurl!

You should not be doing your hair every day. 5 hours a day is crazy! I spend less than that each week and my hair is a very tangly knotty type and I have a lot of it. Put your hair in a style that can last a week. If you aren't yet good at styling, do twists. Those are the easiest to master. After detangling your hair put relatively small twists in and they should last you a week. When the week is up, wash your hair in the twists and immediately after (do not let them dry) take them down one at a time, add a little moisturizer to the undone twist, comb it out gently and twist it back up.

There are many routines that you could try and things you can do, but what's above should be easy, prevent tangles, and should mean you don't have to mess with your hair for a week at a time.

Good luck.

Thanks Well its More like Every 2-3 Days. But Still its time Consuming.
I braided My hair It took Forever But im happy i dont have to Touch it!
I will keep it Moisturized since its already detangled.

Stylists sometime look down to the young customers. They think we don't know much, and we willl listen to their every word haha. LAME... Anyway wear some kute braid outs or natural puffs! They always look kute and fun looking. Don't get frusrated ova the hair. If all else fails put it in a pony tail and bun it. Or you coould find a kute afro wig and wear it. People will think it's you're real hair lol. My friend found this kute one in Sally's the other day. She just did the BC this summer, the afro is bigger than her real hair but everyone thinks it's hers loool. You'll do well in school, just don' spaz out on me over something as little as hair. Get some kute hair accessories and rock dat hair gurl!

Thanks for the Words of Motivation!
Twist outs are Cute and l love Big hair!
I always Wanted to Get my Hair Braided and Rock The Rihanna Bob(the wig) One day i will!

i still dont know wth you are doing that takes 5 hours...no offense or anything but i would rather say screw it and wear a scarf, or since you cant wear scarves throw it in a pony puff and save that ish for the weekends. i began my transition last year which was my 3rd year in college...i had a sew-in from august to october so i really didnt have to touch it except for when i moisturized or did braidouts, then i started getting dominican blowouts and maintained them by wrapping my hair every night, that way i was using heat but only once or twice a month. by the time i was 9 months into my transition that is when i found LHCF (and that is where all my time went, LOL) but i would DC while studying, cowash at night so my hair would be dry in the morning, then spritz it, pull it back and go. when i got tired of that i would spend a saturday or sunday afternoon, you know when it wouldnt affect my schedule, pulling out all the stops - washing, DCing, flat ironing if need be, doing all the experimenting with bantu knots and twistouts/braidouts. that would last me another 2 weeks and save me the money from going to the dominicans. now that i am natural i am using this summer to get my techniques down...i have kinky twists now that i have perfected the WNG, which i will probably do up until my bday in october when its too cold for wet hair in the morning, and when these come out i will work on my rollersets so i can get a soft bonnet dryer for my room and do these on the weekend. by december/january i anticipate being at least APL so i will reward myself by flat ironing and bunning throughout the winter whenever i don't have my hair down. your hair should never overtake your life especially when you are a student.

get that hair together girl!!! :spank:

i still dont know wth you are doing that takes 5 hours...no offense or anything but i would rather say screw it and wear a scarf, or since you cant wear scarves throw it in a pony puff and save that ish for the weekends. i began my transition last year which was my 3rd year in college...i had a sew-in from august to october so i really didnt have to touch it except for when i moisturized or did braidouts, then i started getting dominican blowouts and maintained them by wrapping my hair every night, that way i was using heat but only once or twice a month. by the time i was 9 months into my transition that is when i found LHCF (and that is where all my time went, LOL) but i would DC while studying, cowash at night so my hair would be dry in the morning, then spritz it, pull it back and go. when i got tired of that i would spend a saturday or sunday afternoon, you know when it wouldnt affect my schedule, pulling out all the stops - washing, DCing, flat ironing if need be, doing all the experimenting with bantu knots and twistouts/braidouts. that would last me another 2 weeks and save me the money from going to the dominicans. now that i am natural i am using this summer to get my techniques down...i have kinky twists now that i have perfected the WNG, which i will probably do up until my bday in october when its too cold for wet hair in the morning, and when these come out i will work on my rollersets so i can get a soft bonnet dryer for my room and do these on the weekend. by december/january i anticipate being at least APL so i will reward myself by flat ironing and bunning throughout the winter whenever i don't have my hair down. your hair should never overtake your life especially when you are a student.

get that hair together girl!!! :spank:

LOL Thanks!
I like having Funs with Buns and Stuff for my Grades I will stick to a)Getting it Flat iron Every 2 weeks or B) Get a press Every 3 weeks.
My Presses Hold pretty Good. Im a Cheerleader/ and i do Gymnastics.
I will Just Look For a Good Butter Moisturizer. I should Be good After that.

Are you exaggerating when you say "5 hours a day"? But anyway, go back to pressing your natural hair if that worked for you and saves you time. There are members here with natural hair that press all the time (Pinkskates, unlvgirl, So_So_Chic, etc) and they have long healthy natural hair.

Last edited:
Are you exaggerating when you say "5 hours a day"? But anyway, go back to pressing your natural hair if that worked for you and saves you time. There are members here with natural hair that press all the time (Pinkskates, unlvgirl, So_So_Chic, etc) and they have long healthy natural hair.

Every 2-3 days only when i Comb other than that im in a scarf.
When my hair is Really Tangled i have To break it down and it is no tellin
how long that Could take because my arms get tired and i have to take Lots of breaks:nono:

I agree with the ladies who said you shouldn't be spending so much time each day on your hair (too much handling on natural hair can lead to breakage and more tangles). And don't feel bad about finding a new salon to go to. I've gone to "white" salons a few times and it was fine.

But maybe you could also look into finding a salon that specializes in doing natural hair. You could try out twists or comb coils. You could also ask to face the mirror while they do your hair and see if they'll show you how you could achieve that style on your own.

Every 2-3 days only when i Comb other than that im in a scarf.
When my hair is Really Tangled i have To break it down and it is no tellin
how long that Could take because my arms get tired and i have to take Lots of breaks:nono:

Your natural hair shouldn't be so hard to deal with. Are you moisturizing your hair everyday? What kinds of products are you using on your hair? Are you using a satin or silk scarf to tie your hair up at night?

Your natural hair shouldn't be so hard to deal with. Are you moisturizing your hair everyday? What kinds of products are you using on your hair? Are you using a satin or silk scarf to tie your hair up at night?
ITA, for real, especially about the moisturizing part...i just read where you said the 5 hours is spent combing, so does that mean it takes more time to style?

oh and i read that other thread you posted about that stylist who presses your hair with blue magic :nono: ...something is not right if you have been going to her and she has not said or done anything about your hair that takes 5 hours to detangle, cause if it doesnt take her 5 hours as well, either your comb is too small, your hair is too dry, or she is ripping out like half your hair. i say dump her, find someone who may be more expensive but actually gives a crap about you and your hair, and who more importantly will show you how to maintain your hair between visits!!!

ITA, for real, especially about the moisturizing part...i just read where you said the 5 hours is spent combing, so does that mean it takes more time to style?

oh and i read that other thread you posted about that stylist who presses your hair with blue magic :nono: ...something is not right if you have been going to her and she has not said or done anything about your hair that takes 5 hours to detangle, cause if it doesnt take her 5 hours as well, either your comb is too small, your hair is too dry, or she is ripping out like half your hair. i say dump her, find someone who may be more expensive but actually gives a crap about you and your hair, and who more importantly will show you how to maintain your hair between visits!!!
ITA with this post. I didn't read your entire post but where is your mom or auntie, some adult person in your family, or even a family friend who can help you find another salon?

What, exactly, are you doing to your hair?
How do you normally wear it?
What products do you use?
What, exactly are you doing that is taking 5 hours?
How often do you DC?
How often do you moisturize?
What are you using to detangle?

Once we have an answer to those questions, we'll be better able to suggest things that might help you reduce the time it takes - there is no way you should be spending that much time on your head every 2-3 days, at all.

Looking at your photos, it looks like your hair is about BSL when pressed? Does it fully revert when wet? Is it dry? Is it oily?

Maybe i'm retarded.... but what exactly is taking you five hours to do?
Can you gives us a full run down of your regimen/ technique. Even if you were to straighten and rollerset under a dryer, it shouldn't take 5hrs! If you could post EXACTLY what it is you do then, i think it would be easier for me to help you.

As for the stylist, you pay her. If you don't like something she does you can call her up on it or find another salon.

I'm still in school, and focusing well, and usually do my hair on friday or saturday, because I'm a night owl. HTH .. sorry about your stylist. I ditched mine.

Back