I really have no idea what to do with my hair (VENT)

preciousjewel76 said:
That's a really pretty style, Nonie!

Thank you, PreciousJewel!
kittykisses-vi.gif

my gosh you are so meticulous with your hair. I cant part in a stright box for nothing. I love this Nonie :love:

Thanks, Ayeshia. If I couldn't part straight but had your beautiful mane, no one would be able to tell me ish! Wanna swap?

Nonie, thanks for directing me to your post thru PM ;)....

In January of this year, I initially wanted to wear my hair in two-strand twists indefinitely for the whole year of 2007 and wash my hair while in twists every 2 weeks, and re-do the twists when slightly damp. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about detangling (even though detangling isn't a problem for me anymore...it takes me 5 mins to detangle my hair).

The suggestion you just made was an idea I got from this girl: http://public.fotki.com/catheadface/ pw: snax She did this routine forever and her natural hair is down her back!

Well, when I had those twists in back in January, I got bored and wanted to do another style so I didn't get a chance to wash my hair in twists. Plus, I want to do a set of twists that I won't get bored with and that I do not mind retwisting into, ya' know (if that makes sense). See, the one's I did in January were a bit too big for my liking.

Anyway, it's so funny that you brought this up again because just a minute ago I was thinking about giving this a try before you even suggested it! :) I just need more willpower and discipline to stick to one style so I don't have worry about or think about my hair so much.

So tonight, I'm going to twist my hair up into medium size twists and try to stick with the style regardless of the shrinkage and fuzziness I may encounter as my twists age.

Bublin said:
Girl
I can understand too....for a whole year i wore wash n go's then i decided to be patient and do individual natural twists. They look great but like someone else said, it takes 5-6 hours to wash, condition and re-twist. This does not include me undoing the twists the night before, washing and leaving the conditioner in overnight.

I'm now bored with my twists....apart from braids i've never worn false hair. I'm now tempted to try half wigs or falls. I wondering how you conceal the front - with a hair band?

One thing i do know...i will never ever relax my hair again.....i'm just praying for hair long enough to go into a ponytail..........

I might try twists when I take my braids out. How to you do yours.

OT: Can someone explain how to prevent shrinkage. I am thinking about transitioning. I have been in braids since sept 06. last I had a relaxer was at that time. I understand what you're going through Bmore because I was sick of my hair not growing so I put in braids. Now I am trying to learn how to style and take care of my own hair without damaging it or going to the stylist.

Hil84figer said:
I might try twists when I take my braids out. How to you do yours.

OT: Can someone explain how to prevent shrinkage. I am thinking about transitioning. I have been in braids since sept 06. last I had a relaxer was at that time. I understand what you're going through Bmore because I was sick of my hair not growing so I put in braids. Now I am trying to learn how to style and take care of my own hair without damaging it or going to the stylist.

If somebody knew the answer to this they'd be rich. :lol: That's my major issue. I have quite a bit of hair now. My hair's almost as long now as my relaxed hair was when I chopped it 6 months ago. It just all shrinks up and looks like it's 2-3 inches long. :ohwell:

Poohbear said:
So tonight, I'm going to twist my hair up into medium size twists and try to stick with the style regardless of the shrinkage and fuzziness I may encounter as my twists age.
Poohbear, you can do it. You won't have to wear them just one way. As you can see, I used to really have fun with my twists. The updo was one way to hide messy twists as I bought time to redo them. Pigtails (yes, at my 30-sth age I wore them with pride) were also another way to wear them when I wanted to forget that they needed redoing. You can pull them back into a ponytail. (If you do these styles when your hair is damp, you'll see how easy it is to work with them). How about undoing just the part in the pony and wearing a variation of that pony (pony as a twist-out; rest of hair still twisted) One of my favorite discoveries was that if I cornrowed my twists, I could get a "twisted braid-out": hair is still twisted but twists are wavy. So when you get bored with twist, just pretend they're combed hair and play around with them and you'll be surprised what you'll come up with. And when you are ready for a change, undo them all after your hair dries and enjoy a twist-out for a couple of days - another excuse not to manipulate your hair. ;)

B'More, I honestly and sincerely feel your pain. For the past several years I've had braids and now, for almost two years, I've mostly worn my hair in twists. Sometimes I rock my afro, but it's irritating to me that my hair is almost shoulder-length when stretched and shrinks to 2 inches when wet. I know that I look okay with the fro, but even so, I'm sick of my hair, too. The only thing that gives me joy when it comes to my hair is smelling the products I use in it. Otherwise I am seriously considering texturizing or relaxing my hair, but then again, I'm so style-challenged that I don't know what good it will do.

You are definitely not alone. And you always look fly (hence your name), and I know it's true because remember when we bumped into each other on the street?!! So take heart in your coolness and let this moment ride :)!

naijamerican said:
Sometimes I rock my afro, but it's irritating to me that my hair is almost shoulder-length when stretched and shrinks to 2 inches when wet.

I hate this!! :swearing: I can tell my hair is growing but I can't see it. Aww thanks hun! :) You have no idea how much of a rough day I was having that day you saw me. I was trying to keep it together.

You are most welcome!!! :rosebud: :) I know that you will be okay! As for me, maybe when we next meet I'll be rocking straight hair!!! :lol: (or not, I always go back and forth!!!)

Poor thing, I hope you find something that works for you.

Since I did the BC, I've been wearing wash 'n go's with various headbands, non-stop. That's pretty much all I can do with a TWA. It doesn't seem as if you have a TWA since your hair has really grown, but you can still rock a wash 'n go.

TSUprincess04 said:
Poor thing, I hope you find something that works for you.

Since I did the BC, I've been wearing wash 'n go's with various headbands, non-stop. That's pretty much all I can do with a TWA. It doesn't seem as if you have a TWA since your hair has really grown, but you can still rock a wash 'n go.

TSU, I still have a TWA and this month (April 15) marks a year since my last relaxer. My hair is neck length but it still shrinks to like 2-3 inches. It sucks. :(

naijamerican said:
You are most welcome!!! :rosebud: :) I know that you will be okay! As for me, maybe when we next meet I'll be rocking straight hair!!! :lol: (or not, I always go back and forth!!!)

You never know what hairstyle you'll catch me with either. I was rocking a straight weave that day. :lol:

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks ladies...IDK I guess it's just too many of them. Everytime I move I feel like somebodys touching me. :look: I hate washing them bc they drip all over the place. It's just too much hair. :ohwell: But I don't want my $200 going down the tubes either. I'll only be at week 3 on thursday.

I got tired of the wigs and half wigs bc I always wanted to take them off when I got in the house. (Plus I've been wearing them since 2002) :ohwell: I always feel like I need to put it back on before I go out bc my hair is all over my head from being mushed under the wig all day. Don't let somebody ring the doorbell - you'll see me just and get the wig on quick fast and in a hurry. I felt like I was becoming a slave to it.

If I wear my hair out I'm gonna have to fight with it in the morning and wash it every few days bc it'll get mushed when I sleep on it. I'm already late enough in the morning with my roll out of bed and do nothing hairdos. I really don't know what to do. :cry3:

$200!!!! :eek: See, that's why I shy away from braids, weaves and wigs. 'Cos I'd pay top dollar to have it all done right, to look good. But the money! The money!!!! I found myself in the same boat. I was too cheap to hide my hair, so I resorted to wash and goes. I used a good leave in, haven't found the perfect one, but my goal was and is to shape and activate whatever curl pattern the product can find. :lol: It continues to grow and I use headbands to pile it into a makeshift ponytail, because its so thick now. It stretches to about my shoulders, but to look at it, its only at my ears. Which is fine, because its a mass. It falls flat at the crown, so I'll never get my big Angela Davis super fro, but that's okay. I'll probablly start to twist it abit to add a different styling to it. However, the only "protective" style I do, is that I wrap my hair up at night. I feel guilty, because I only do that to keep it outta my face, it drives me crazy otherwise. I'm thinking about the satin pillows though, cos your hair can get tangled up in the dang knot of the scarf! Dang always somthing! :lol:

Last edited:
cabellera said:
$200!!!! :eek: See, that's why I shy away from braids, weaves and wigs. 'Cos I'd pay top dollar to have it all done right, to look good. But the money! The money!!!! I found myself in the same boat. I was too cheap to hide my hair, so I resorted to wash and goes. I used a good leave in, haven't found the perfect one, but my goal was and is to shape and activate whatever curl pattern the product can find. :lol: It continues to grow and I use headbands to pile it into a makeshift ponytail, because its so thick now. It stretches to about my shoulders, but to look at it, its only at my ears. Which is fine, because its a mass. It falls flat at the crown, so I'll never get my big Angela Davis super fro, but that's okay. I'll probablly start to twist it abit to add a different styling to it. However, the only "protective" style I do, is that I wrap my hair up at night. I feel guilty, because I only do that to keep it outta my face, it drives me crazy otherwise. I'm thinking about the satin pillows though, cos your hair can get tangled up in the dang knot of the scarf! Dang always somthing! :lol:

Yeah braids are expensive. :ohwell:

Back