I Picked up Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me

so1913

By Paula Gegon

This book is HUGE!!!! LOL, there's A LOT of product reviews in here...it's going to be a fun read. It talks about a lot of the lines/products many use here, lists suggested products by price range. It also discusses hair-care information like color, relaxing, industry info, MYTHS (can't wait to read that), allergic reactions and clogged pores, types of products (i.e. volumizing, moisturizing, clarifying, treatments, silicones, pomades, natural products/ingredients, African American hair, and the list goes on and on and on and on.

I saw a few "favorites" have met Paula's cut ;)

I think it'll be interesting to go through, I already know there will be things that I won't "agree" with, but I do think I will learn a lot. I have the 3rd edition 2004/2005.

Anyone own this? Reviews?

I'll be sure to come back and post as I read through the book with any interesting information. I'll probably also share some of the lists of "best ***** (type of product) under/over $8"

Last edited:
No reviews from me, but I will be awaiting everyone else's!

I read the book. It was pretty cool. Some of the stuff I didn't agree with her on. As a matter of fact A LOT of the stuff I didn't agree on. But I don't want my review of the book to be a spoiler. But the product reviews were cool.

But I def. recommend it!

MizaniMami said:
I read the book. It was pretty cool. Some of the stuff I didn't agree with her on. As a matter of fact A LOT of the stuff I didn't agree on. But I don't want my review of the book to be a spoiler. But the product reviews were cool.

But I def. recommend it!

ITA. A lot of the stuff I didnt agree on and a lot of the black hair care parts I think she just took some of Andre' Walkers stuff and put it in her book. Anyhoo, I wont spoil it either.

I have this book, and I like it. I also don't agree with her on everything, but she does make some good points and provide some helpful information. Her books helped me realize that many products in some line are the exact same formulation, just with different packaging. Before, I was overpaying for a "deep conditioner," only to find out it was identical to the regular one, so this has saved me a lot of money. I've found many of her product reviews to be true for me. Sometimes I'll read her product reviews before I purchase a new product, or if I'm curious about something. I would recommend her book, simply because having more information about something is usually better. I also like Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me.

I purchased it at Barnes and Noble.

Thanks ladies, I figured there'd be some dissagreement points (spotted a few while quickly skimming) but overall it seems like a pretty comprehensive and worth while read.

i own the book. I admit i haven't read it thoroughly but i do know that she did say alot of stuff that i disagree with. the main reason why i bought it is because i want to decipher the ingredients list. I was thinking about that the other day..i need to study this so that i can make educated choices on which products to use. her product recs sound half-azzed and anways u cant take anyones word for it especially if she tried it out on caucasian hair. My hair may respond differently to an ingredient that your hair loves which is precisely why i was interested in studying the ingredients and what they do and not necessarily her opinion on how good a product works.

Last edited:
I just picked this up at the library yesterday. I'm only on chapter 3, so my complete review will probably be here at the end of the week.

so1913 said:
By Paula Gegon

This book is HUGE!!!! LOL, there's A LOT of product reviews in here...it's going to be a fun read. It talks about a lot of the lines/products many use here, lists suggested products by price range. It also discusses hair-care information like color, relaxing, industry info, MYTHS (can't wait to read that), allergic reactions and clogged pores, types of products (i.e. volumizing, moisturizing, clarifying, treatments, silicones, pomades, natural products/ingredients, African American hair, and the list goes on and on and on and on.

I saw a few "favorites" have met Paula's cut ;)

I think it'll be interesting to go through, I already know there will be things that I won't "agree" with, but I do think I will learn a lot. I have the 3rd edition 2004/2005.

Anyone own this? Reviews?

I'll be sure to come back and post as I read through the book with any interesting information. I'll probably also share some of the lists of "best ***** (type of product) under/over $8"

I absolutely LOVE that book. I own all editions the old and brand new.
I been using it for the past 5 years. Thats how I found out about NTM products and Rusk smoother, all the products that work so well for me and are now my staples.

I love all of Paula Begoun's books

Princess Pie said:
I have this book, and I like it. I also don't agree with her on everything, but she does make some good points and provide some helpful information. Her books helped me realize that many products in some line are the exact same formulation, just with different packaging. Before, I was overpaying for a "deep conditioner," only to find out it was identical to the regular one, so this has saved me a lot of money. I've found many of her product reviews to be true for me. Sometimes I'll read her product reviews before I purchase a new product, or if I'm curious about something. I would recommend her book, simply because having more information about something is usually better. I also like Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me.

Now this book I love. I also enjoyed her Beauty Bible.

How funny. I just saw this @ the bookstore today and only wanted browse it. It seemed so good I actually bought it. I plan to finish it over the next couple of weeks.

Back