I now prefer 'protective' styles....

sweetcocoa

I now prefer \'protective\' styles....

I remember when I first started wearing my hair up instead of always down...I was a little resentful cause I really wanted to wear my hair down. The past 2 weeks I've been wearing it down cause it was looking nice and healthy. Then I couldn't believe it ...Thursday I began missing my protective styles. I think the fact that my hair is really growing healthy from the nightly rinses and wearing it up or in a bun, makes me feel 'good' and want to continue wearing it this way. I don't know if I'm making sense... or if I even understand it myself. Maybe it's because I can relax and not worry about it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: I now prefer \'protective\' styles....

how are you drying your hair after the nightly rinses? also what do you rinse with?

I'm toying with the idea of conditioner washes which is why I ask...also toying with the idea of wearing my hair up more often. has it made that much of a difference already in your hair's health?

thanks sweet c /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I just do rinses with distilled water rather than conditioning washes because they didn't work for me(I get buildup easily). I shampoo 2-3 times a week(one shampoo is heavy duty) and rinse the other nights. I dry my hair over night because it takes so long to dry. I feel it definitely makes a difference as far as the growth of my hair. It is loving the constant moisture(water..the best moisturizer in my opinion) sealed in by a combo of conditioner and my pomade(1 teaspoon melted) as a leave in). Also I saw your post about keeping your hair thick as it grows. I feel wrapping daily made my hair thin out in the past and although I still wrap occasionally I definitely stopped doing it every night. Also my hair seemed thinner when it was in layers. Here's a link to my journal where I describe how I do my hair at night when I just rinse(wash and go).
http://www.geocities.com/sweetc0c0/Sweetcocoa_page.html

Allandra has always told me this would preserve my hair's thickness and health. I still haven't gotten it quite together. But I do put my hair up more now - about 2-3 days a week.

I'll be saving this thread for when I am tempted to be bad. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I'll be sure to tap you on the shoulder again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'm that way too, sweetcocoa. i really loved wearing my hair down, especially since it has grown alot, but lately that has kind of changed. i haven't decided if it's because protective styles are easier for this lazy person to do, or if it's because of the results of wearing them. either way, it's a win-win situation for me... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Ditto. At some point I hated wearing my hair up. I don't wear protective styles because of hair health though. I was actually required by one of my jobs to wear my hair out of my face and I just got used to it. I even wear my braids in a bun now. I can wear this same bun for the whole week without worrying about my hair. I think it is just sheer laziness on my part.

I've worn my hair up for years. My mother showed me how to do a french roll when I was going through a hair crisis. I had a bald spot in the back and she showed me how to hide it. Anyways that roll gave my hair the break it needed and that spot grew out. I have been wearing my roll off and on for years. Now basically out of sheer laziness. But I find that my hair does better when it's up in a loose bun or roll versus wearing it down consistently. There were times when I would wear it down for weeks, but I usually found that there was always some type of damage afterwards either dryness, breakage, etc. So thanks to you ladies, I now roller set on Saturday (I've gotten real good at this too /images/graemlins/grin.gif) wear down on weekend and pin up during the week. Shampoo mid week, which I've started to do conditioner washes mid-week and pin and go too. I think this is helping to keep the moisture in my hair. Oh, and lets not forget the Shea mixture and Jeri juice. These are keepers. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am always so late in replying. 2.5 more weeks and my applications for grad school will be done! Yeah!

I have tested this for the last few weeks. In the winter, if I wear my hair down, it gets sooo dry! I like protective styles but sometimes I like a little bang or something. Mid-day, the little bang is dry and actually has to be re-wet and moisturized.

The beginning of January, I hope to post a bunch of pictures since I now have a digital camera. I mostly wear the bun but I make it interesting and don't keep it in the same place everyday depending on the look that I am going for. I have 3 mains looks.

1. The bun on the very top/center of your head. You can wear it very curly and pin the ends down towards the middle of the ponytail so that they will be protected. Take a little bit of hair out near your sideburns and let it hang down.

2. This is my favorite for a sophisticated look. The side ponytail, behind your ear. Using bobby pins, twist the hair around and pin it down. And don't forget the noticiable lipstick.

3. On lazy days, the bun in the center of your head towards the back. To make it look a little more exciting, take a few loose hair out and let them do their thing.

I will post pictures of these styles in January.

i love your hair journal site sweetcocoa!!!!
my problem is that i love to blow dry my hair (straight or wavy) and wear it like that a couple of days. but i go to the gym a lot and then i sweat and after that i usually put my hair in a bun or in two or one braid. so i wear my hair in a protective style almost all the time and i save the blow drying for special occasions /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i love your hair journal site sweetcocoa!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

Funny you bumped this topic because I was just thinking it. I have been wearing buns since August and I wore my hair down for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I couldnt WAIT to get my hair back in my bun, it felt more secure!
smile.gif

This has been my experience too! How funny! I decided last month that I was going to do my own personal winter "challenge" of wearing protective two-strand twists for a week at a time, with two-day breaks in between. When my hair was shorter, and I didn't like them, I really had to force myself to keep them in. But now, I like my twists, and I'm going to easily wear them for two weeks at a time, with a short "out" break in between, so I can thoroughly shampoo and deep condition.
The great thing about my twists is that I can rinse them in the shower whenever I want, and condition them too. So, even while my hair is in a protective style, my scalp isn't being neglected.

I also like wearing my hair up more than down. I reduce daily tangles and reduce shedding that way. I am still working on the best looking bun but I'd like to keep my ends out of sight more often, too.

Back