I Never Would Of Thought...

MonaRae

I would ever wear a wig but I am. I have reached a point that I am willing to do just about anything to grow my hair. The wig allows me to cornrow my hair leaving it for days giving it a chance to grow. The plan is to re-braid my hair every 3 days.

I've been a member here for just about 2 years and my hair is the same length as day one. I am completely frustrated by this :wallbash:. And I am too lazy for kinky twists or braids so the wig is my best option.

Are there any tips out there for a first timer like me? Like should I wear a cap under the wig?

Thanks In Advance!

Hi. I don't have any experience with wigs. But I have heard that using a wig cap ( i think that's what it's called) is important to avoid damage to your hair line.

If you dont mind me asking what methods have you used b4 to gain length?

Oh I tried it all (baggy, no manipulation, daily co-washing, that awful MTG, Henna, etc.).

In the end I realize that my hair can't take all of that. It took me this long to "get it". Now I wash weekly (with or w/o poo) condish and I learned not to comb my hair while wet (with or w/o condish in it) :nono:!

No manipulation is best for me so the wig (btw its a half wig) is my best option.

I used to do the wig method but got tired of it b/c I generally cant stand anything on my head for too long. However, tips I got from people were: (1) Always use a wig cap to protect ur hair, (2) make sure ur wig cap is not too tight bc ur front hair will start thinning, (3) someone suggested a satin cap so ur hair is really protected & doesnt snag, & (4) dont leave the wig on for too long when u get home, take it off. I cant remember the reasoning behind this one though :perplexed.

That's all I can remember I'll post as I think of more...

I never would have thought it, either for myself.... But I'm appreciating the half-wigs, which allows my hairline to be exposed or at least not completely covered. I can blend my hair in the front....

I'm in a wig right now to give my hair recovery from slighty "rough" ends.
I normally just C/W it then put some condtioner on it and put over a shower cap. My hair is alot softer but I ned to start back up with my vitmans/deit and running and my hair well grow.

I was going to do that too. I purchase several wigs and several half wigs, but I just can't stand anything on my head for just about any length of time. I rather cowash my hair everyday and use some form of butter on it after I use some leave in. Twist the back up and put a clip in. Do something to the front whether I leave it curly or roll it up or pin it down and go thats it. thats all I do now. I know I have tried the wig thing and I tried the cornrows but I just can't stick to one style to long.

Hey MonaRae,

I am in kind of similar predicament. I have had to cut my hair (to 1/4 of an inch) twice in the last 2 years or so. I constantly have dryness and breakage issues. My hair grows really well, but i just can't seem to find anything that works great to keep it strong and healthy. I recently purchased the Aveda line, so i'm hoping for a change. I think the wig may be just the thing you need. When I was a braid wearer my grew like weeds and was even thicker than now. Too much manipulation definetely is bad for my hair.

There are so many to choose from, I'm sure you'll find one that fits in with your lifestyle and personal taste.

ETA: My cousin is a natural who wears a wig as a styling option and she wears a wig cap to protect her hair and it also makes the wig lay flatter on her head.

I would ever wear a wig but I am. I have reached a point that I am willing to do just about anything to grow my hair. The wig allows me to cornrow my hair leaving it for days giving it a chance to grow. The plan is to re-braid my hair every 3 days.

I've been a member here for just about 2 years and my hair is the same length as day one. I am completely frustrated by this :wallbash:. And I am too lazy for kinky twists or braids so the wig is my best option.

Are there any tips out there for a first timer like me? Like should I wear a cap under the wig?

Thanks In Advance!

Hey MonaRae!

Your options in Wigs have come a long way- they are so much more light weight now. You can buy half wigs (that can be blended with your front hairline or a "full cap" that give you total coverage!

Please check out the "Wig Challenge 2007" thread for great tips from others that are rocking this method.

My only advice is make sure you use a good braid/leave in spray to keep your hair moist underneath the wig and you can go later than 3 days between re-braidng your cornrows.

Good luck, CD

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. This is day 2 and I must learn how to put this wig on without it pulling on my scalp. Other then that I really like it.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. This is day 2 and I must learn how to put this wig on without it pulling on my scalp. Other then that I really like it.

Best of luck to you. i wear a IW everyday. I do not blend the hair in the front anymore. After i moisturize and seal and put on the sating wig cap. I carefully pull the top of the wig cap back about an inch and a half, insert a few of the middle part of the wig comb on top behind the cap. Then in the back, I pull the wig cap up a little bit and stick in only one tooth from the wig comb on each side to anchor it. Its very secure this way without using the whole comb. And there is no damage that way. Then i finish it off with a satin or silk headband or scarf to cover where my hair stops and the IW starts. Headbands are very chic. Soon as I get home, I take it off. My hair has been so happy with this, and now I can air dry and use no heat whatsoever.

Great advice eajaye2u! I went and got a wig cap yesterday. They only had the nylon kind. I did not know they made satin wig caps. Did you get it off line?

Good luck, MonaRae! I hope wigs offer you a solution to your problem...I know it did for me:grin: However, you may wanna rub a little castor oil or some other type of protectant along where the combs slip into your hair to avoid breakage...other than that happy wigging!:yep:

I decided not to use the combs for fear of popping off my hair. Instead I use barbie pins (lots of them :lachen:) but honestly you realy don't need many. I use about 6 - 8 in total.

Back