I NEED YOUR HELP!!

drjo91

Hey you guys, its been a month after my bc and i need to change my products. Why? Well they contain bad ingredients and i want to stay away from them as much as possible. I also need a GOOD MOISTURIZER. I use carefree curl but it does not moisturize enough and it contains CONES!!!. I also use silicon mix as a deep conditioner and it detangles my hair easily but it contains MINERAL OIL and lot sof CONES which is a NO NO. So please lady i need your help.

So please list MOISTURIZER, LEAVE IN, DEEP CONDITIONER that you know.

Hey you guys, its been a month after my bc and i need to change my products. Why? Well they contain bad ingredients and i want to stay away from them as much as possible. I also need a GOOD MOISTURIZER. I use carefree curl but it does not moisturize enough and it contains CONES!!!. I also use silicon mix as a deep conditioner and it detangles my hair easily but it contains MINERAL OIL and lot sof CONES which is a NO NO. So please lady i need your help.

So please list MOISTURIZER, LEAVE IN, DEEP CONDITIONER that you know.

For leave-ins I use (and like): SE Silken Child.. no mineral oils, HE LTR Leave in and I've heard great things about Hawiian Silky 14in1

For DC I bought: SE Mega Silk DC yesterday, haven't tried it yet but I've heard good things about it, I also like ORS Hair Mayo (the original product with keratin), Adding salt to a good cheapie really works wonders as well. I've also heard great things about Dominican DCs like Miss Keys which is MO free

Moisturizers: I like ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer.. I also LOVE sealing with Castor Oil.. I just love castor oil :drunk:

I'm a fan of natural products myself. Here's what I use...

Moisturizer: water sealed with castor oil. or water sealed with shea butter.
Castor oil is my number one love (especially when I'm rinsing everyday) and unrefined shea is running a close second (particularly for bantu knot outs and twists).

I don't really use a conditioner or deep conditioner. When I detangle with olive oil (great slip and moisture) then I'll use coconut milk to rinse it out, which leaves my hair really soft and would be considered a mild protein conditioner.

I love doing overnight treatments with castor oil or coconut oil. Basically I wet my hair (not soaking wet) and then either slather on castor or coconut oil, cover with a cap and bonnet and then rinse out in the morning (usually with a baking soda mix). Castor and coconut oil both have the ability to penetrate the hair so that's why I use them.

ETA: I heard that melted shea can be used as a conditioner so I'm going to try that soon.

Care Free Curl? No. My hair laughs at that stuff.

Here's what works for me:

MOISTURIZER: Whipped Shea Butter (1 part melted shea butter, 1 part conditioner, 1 part oil). I found the recipe online and so far it's awesome. I use V05 HoneyDew Smoothie for the conditioner and safflower oil for the oil.

LEAVE IN: None. At best, I leave a little bit of whatever conditioner I'm using to co-wash/DC. I don't rinse it off fully.

DEEP CONDITIONER: Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix. Natural ingredients. It's the best DC I've tried by far. It leaves my hair super soft and smooth.

Girl listen, if your hair loves mineral oil and cones, USE IT! When I first joined, I made the mistake of staying away from cones and MO because of all of the bad things said about them. My hair was a dry and tangled mess :nono:

All you gotta do is clarify monthly or bi-weekly and you won't have a problem. Use what works for YOU!

Girl listen, if your hair loves mineral oil and cones, USE IT! When I first joined, I made the mistake of staying away from cones and MO because of all of the bad things said about them. My hair was a dry and tangled mess :nono:

All you gotta do is clarify monthly or bi-weekly and you won't have a problem. Use what works for YOU!

The reason why i am changing it is because the care free curl does not moisturize my hair AT ALL. My leave in, is like is seating on my hair and does nothing. Silicon mix detangles my hair very well, but as soon as my hair is dry...lord have mercy on my hair.

Care Free Curl? No. My hair laughs at that stuff.

Here's what works for me:

MOISTURIZER: Whipped Shea Butter (1 part melted shea butter, 1 part conditioner, 1 part oil). I found the recipe online and so far it's awesome. I use V05 HoneyDew Smoothie for the conditioner and safflower oil for the oil.

LEAVE IN: None. At best, I leave a little bit of whatever conditioner I'm using to co-wash/DC. I don't rinse it off fully.

DEEP CONDITIONER: Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix. Natural ingredients. It's the best DC I've tried by far. It leaves my hair super soft and smooth.

@ the bold part. Thats exactly what my hair does!! Care free curl does NOTHING!! Where do you get the whipped shea butter from?

Well, I use Infusium Repairologie for my leave it. I put it in a squirt bottle for even distribution. My hair LOVES it. Then I use Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 for my Moisturizer. LOVE IT!!! And then I use Aussie Deeeeep 3 min Moisture treatment. It is awesome. and then I use ORS replenishing pak. I used to be a product junkie until I found these products and now my hair is doing really good and it stays moisutrized. Hope this helps:)

P.S. I can't wait to see you hair grow out. I read the story about your mom and sis not being supportive a couple of months ago and now I can't wait to see your hair at APL and the shock they'll have. Keep us posted.

What are bad ingredients?? I'm new and I'm thinking I should go home and label all my stuff with bad ingredients so I can try to determine if my hair likes them or not. Whats wrong with mineral oil and cones? What is cones?

@ the bold part. Thats exactly what my hair does!! Care free curl does NOTHING!! Where do you get the whipped shea butter from?

I order shea butter online from www.crabapplesoap.com to make the whipped mixture. There are other places too -- www.mountainroseherbs.com , www.amazon.com , Whole Foods , www.madinaonline.com .

I recommend that you mix the shea butter with something to soften it and help penetrate the hair. I've seen some mixtures on the forums -- shea butter + an oil, shea butter + aloe vera gel , etc. Just use your favorite oil and experiment. What's working for me is shea butter whipped with conditioner and safflower oil.

HTH!

Well, I use Infusium Repairologie for my leave it. I put it in a squirt bottle for even distribution. My hair LOVES it. Then I use Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1 for my Moisturizer. LOVE IT!!! And then I use Aussie Deeeeep 3 min Moisture treatment. It is awesome. and then I use ORS replenishing pak. I used to be a product junkie until I found these products and now my hair is doing really good and it stays moisutrized. Hope this helps:)

P.S. I can't wait to see you hair grow out. I read the story about your mom and sis not being supportive a couple of months ago and now I can't wait to see your hair at APL and the shock they'll have. Keep us posted.

Awww omg thank you so much!!!

What are bad ingredients?? I'm new and I'm thinking I should go home and label all my stuff with bad ingredients so I can try to determine if my hair likes them or not. Whats wrong with mineral oil and cones? What is cones?

Hey, WELCOME!!!!!
Mineral oil is very bad for our hair and specially bad for curly hair. It is very drying and it does not penetrate the hair to moisturize. Cones are SILICONES any product that you see with the ingredients ending with CONES are silicones. It does the same thing as mineral oil, it will dry your hair out. Products that contain silicones are good to use when you are going to use heat because it will protect your hair. Otherwise, they are not good but it can work for some people.

Here is a list of the bad ingredients....I saved this up from a post that someone made a while ago. I hope this helps.

If you want natural products, you have to be willing to search them out. Learn to read labels, and refuse to settle for half-natural hair and skin care. Below I've listed and described the "ten most wanted"—the ten chemicals I most want to see off the labels of so-called natural hair and skin care products.

1. Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl Paraben — Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Studies have shown that they are weakly estrogenic and can be absorbed by the body through the skin. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic.

2. Diethanolamine (DEA), Triethanolamine (TEA) — Often used in cosmetics as emulsifiers and/or foaming agents. They can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation and dryness of hair and skin. DEA and TEA are "amines" (ammonia compounds) and can form cancer-causing nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time.

3. Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea — These are widely used preservatives. The American Academy of Dermatology has found them to be a primary cause of contact dermatitis. Two trade names for these chemicals are Germall II and Germall 115. Neither of the Germall chemicals contains a good antifungal agent, and they must be combined with other preservatives. Both these chemicals release formaldehyde, which can be toxic.

4. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate — A cheap, harsh detergent used in shampoos for its cleansing and foam-building properties. Often derived from petroleum, it is frequently disguised in pseudo-natural cosmetics with the phrase "comes from coconuts." It causes eye irritation, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, skin rashes and other allergic reactions.

5. Petrolatum — Also known as petroleum jelly, this mineral oil derivative is used for its emollient properties in cosmetics. It has no nutrient value for the skin and can interfere with the body's own natural moisturizing mechanism, leading to dryness and chapping. It often creates the very conditions it claims to alleviate. Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

6. Propylene Glycol — Ideally this is a vegetable glycerin mixed with grain alcohol, both of which are natural. Usually it is a synthetic petrochemical mix used as a humectant. It has been known to cause allergic reactions, hives and eczema. When you see PEG (polyethylene glycol) or PPG (polypropylene glycol) on labels, beware—these are related synthetics.

7. PVP/VA Copolymer — A petroleum-derived chemical used in hairsprays, styling aids and other cosmetics. It can be considered toxic, since inhaled particles can damage the lungs of sensitive persons.

8. Stearalkonium Chloride — A quaternary ammonium compound used in hair conditioners and creams. Developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, it is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which are beneficial to the hair. Causes allergic reactions. Toxic.

9. Synthetic Colors — Used to make cosmetics "pretty," synthetic colors, along with synthetic hair dyes, should be avoided at all costs. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. Example: FD&C Red No. 6 / D&C Green No. 6. Many synthetic colors can be carcinogenic. If a cosmetic contains them, don't use it.

10. Synthetic Fragance — The synthetic fragrances used in cosmetics can have as many as 200 ingredients. There is no way to know what the chemicals are, since on the label it will simply read "fragrance." Some problems caused by these chemicals include headaches, dizziness, rash, hyperpigmentation, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritation—the list goes on. Advice: Don't buy a cosmetic that has the word "fragrance" on the ingredients label.

Last edited:
Back