i need some moisture for my hair

lovejones82

a friend of mine told me that she had purchased some oils for her hair. I know that there are certain oils (almond, rose, etc.) that one can buy for their hair maybe at Sally's or even on the internet. I want to know which types of oils provide moisture and are good for the hair. also if anyone knows some sites where i could purchase these oils at a fairly reasonable price please let me know. i am interested in making my own hair moisturizer.

Hi Lovejones and welcome to the board. If it's moisture you're looking for, I'm not sure the oils will provide that. Oils will however "seal in" moisture that the hair already has. Some good oils for the hair are jojoba, olive, sweet almond oil and avocado oil just to name a few. Here's a site that you can order from.

www.fromnaturewithlove.com

If it's moisture you want, I would concentrate on deep conditioning the hair 2x per week under a plastic cap and dryer for about 20-30 min. This allows the hair shaft to be opened up and have the conditioner deposited into the cuticles. Once that's done, do a cool rinse which closes the cuticle. You can then apply some light type of oil mixture to seal in the moisture that you've gotten from the washing (water) and the deep conditioning. /images/graemlins/smile.gifHTH.

If you're looking to make a good moisturizer, check the hair recipes board or do a search. Many of the ladies here have already perfected some wonderful combinations. Sweetcocoa has a shea butter oil recipe that many rave about. Good luck to you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The best oil, if I understand this correctly would be Grade A or Genuine Jojoba oil as it is the closet to Sebum Oil (natural oil your scalp produces). If it is labeled 100% pure doesn't necessary mean that it is pure. To ensure that you're getting the real deal, the US FDA or something like that will stamp it Grade A or Genuine.

Hi lovejones82,

Welcome to the board! Some really good oils are Jojoba and olive oil, just to name a few. Like Armqt said, if it's moisture you're after, start washing your hair every 3-4 days. That's guarenteed to give you extra moisture. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pebbles is right, here is some information on Jojoba oil....

The Jojoba plant originated in the Sonoran Desert and is presently grown in the southwestern areas of the United States. It is a slow growing plant and takes 12 - 14 years to mature, but has a life span of over 100 years. The bean from this plant is less than two centimeters in length and weighs one gram.

From this bean, a golden, odorless, non-allergic liquid wax is produced that is known as Jojoba Oil. Jojoba Oil's structure imparts qualities and properties that are difficult to match. The chemical content of this oil is found to be the same as sperm whale oil. It is composed of liquid wax esters.

Liquid wax esters make up 25 - 30% of our skin's surface layer called sebum. As we age our rate of wax esters production steadily decreases, particularly in women. Jojoba Oil also has the ability to retard sebum excretion in people with oily skins.

It is suspected that Jojoba Oil "tricks" the skin into stopping the production of sebum through somehow mimicking sebum.

This also means that Jojoba Oil breaks down sebum in plugged-up pores. Sebum and Jojoba Oil will mix readily without sealing off the skin pores. As a result they form a non-greasy, non-tacky layer with exceptional trans-epidermal water control.

Dermatologists have also reported its non-irritating use for acne. Occlusive materials such as mineral oil can cause anaerobic microbial growth and inflammation redness and swelling in and around pores. Jojoba Oil will not cause blackheads that contribute to acne.

Studies have also shown that it is non-irritating to the eyes or skin. The skin rapidly absorbs it, thus pores and hair follicles remain open and can function freely. Another remarkable property is that it is non-greasy and leaves no oily after-feel.

Jojoba also controls transpiration water loss (water loss through skin). It controls flaking and dryness of the skin.

i will give you my newly discovered regimen for moisture which MAY work for you. i have a spray bottle of mineral water which i use to mist my hair lightly. i then section my hair into 7-8 separate ponytails. i grab a section and lightly mist again, esp. the ends. then apply some pantene smooth and sleek from root to ends and comb gently, followed by a SMALL amount of WGO or olive oil from root to ends and comb thru.then apply profectiv megagrowth to ends only. once i am done with all sections i roller set with my plastic rollers, satin tie my head and go to bed. my hair looks indeed sleeeeekkk, soft, smooth in the morning!! moisturized but not greasy and def. touchable. let's just say i dont worry about leaning against a window glass anymore!!! i love this new regimen so much i am considering mixing up a ready made pantene with some water and an essential oil as my own moisturiser. I'll keep you all posted!

i agree with armyqt.. if your looking for moisture, oil is not the right place. oils lubricate and sealmin moisture but do not provide it.
to go a step beyond armyqt's post, i would say that if you're looking for a moisturizing hairdress you should look into ORS carrot creme or Hollywood Beauty carrot creme (i used both but like hollo\ywood better). also some on the board use curl activator for moisture.
i've used many oils in the past and every time im finished with my concoctions i always go backk to WGO. my hair responds very well to this. hope i gave you some insight

Back