I need some encouragement!

MissMariee

I bc'd like two years ago, attempted to go natural & that was a disaster, ended up relaxing, destroyed my hair, had to start over. I've been doing weaves for a year now, it's about time to take this install out and I WANT to keep my natural hair out, I miss MY hair. Problem is idk what to do with it! I'm not sure of the length honestly.. I want to say sl - I can bun it. I don't have patience. I feel like if I keep it out I'm gonna relax again, or really just destroy it all together. Suggestions??

Learning how to treat and style your natural hair takes time. You have to mentally transition to seeing your self with your natural hair. If you embrace the process of trial and error - you can enjoy this process. Search the board for products to try, watch videos for styles to try - it's like a salad bar - trying things/techniques will help you find the things that work for you and your hair.

I think it's helpful to find someone who has a similar texture and thickness of hair to use as a guide, but please remember everyone's hair is so different so what worked for them may not work for you. Give it a few months and take pictures to track your progress - after 2-3 months, you will be amazed at what healthy hair practices can achieve!

Good luck!

I suggest looking to the various support threads here by doing a search on roller setting, wigs, ceramides, deep conditioning, etc. IMO, with natural hair the ease & versatility of styling comes about when the hair surpasses shoulder length and is closer to APL or longer due to the amount of shrinkage. Also know there is a learning curve for most with styling and products that are compatible with your strands. if all else fails buns & wigs can be your bffs.

I bc'd like two years ago, attempted to go natural & that was a disaster, ended up relaxing, destroyed my hair, had to start over. I've been doing weaves for a year now, it's about time to take this install out and I WANT to keep my natural hair out, I miss MY hair. Problem is idk what to do with it! I'm not sure of the length honestly.. I want to say sl - I can bun it. I don't have patience. I feel like if I keep it out I'm gonna relax again, or really just destroy it all together. Suggestions??

1. learn from your past mistakes
2. take your time....wear your own hair for two weeks and get another install
3. read a book on natural hair care or video blog or whatever so you can learn some things while your hair is put away
4. stop looking at relaxed hair pics and focus on natural hair pics so you can start to get a visual goal
5. realize that this will take some time so having a goal to shoot for helps
6. treat yourself to something new as a reward for being diligent!

my first treat to myself was indian hair:lachen: now it's salon size bottles of conditioner......i've come a long way.:yep:

Last edited:
As a waited for the bus this afternoon, a lady in her late 40s stopped by me to ask "how did you get such long, beautiful hair" as if it was some type of feat.

It's not. Just hang in there. My journey started almost 8 years ago and I had no clue what I'd do when I rediscovered my hair. But it was worth it! Don't give up. My hair doesn't grow fast either. In fact, I've often wondered if it even grows the average 1/2 in per month. But I didn't give up.

As everyone else here has said, it takes patience. But trust us, you won't regret it.

I just pull it back in a puff. That's the style I always wear. I may add a twist or braid in the front

image-815825440.jpg

If you relax your going to regret it and gonna have to start alllll over again. I made that mistake too. Never again lol

Back