I need help with my 3-year old daughter's hair!

BamaBelle

Hey y'all!

My daughter has wavy, coily, curly hair. I have no idea what index it is, I just know it isn't 4a or b because that's what I am (I'd guess on her's being in the 3-something range).

I wash and deep condition once a week to every ten days, depending on the weather since we airdry (I tried blow drying it once with an attachment on the dryer: her ends were extremely dry, the entire texture was just plain weird). I apply Motions Leave-in Conditioner, Motions Leave-in Spray, WGO to the scalp, Woojee Creme to the ends and Carrot Oil Creme all-over. Then, I usually braid in small plaits or sectioned braided ponytails with Ouchless bands (even on the ends to keep the moisture on the ends of the hair and to avoid losing more barrettes at school :mad: - tired of buying them to be swept up by the custodian every evening - I digress, as usual.

Here are my issues/concerns:
1 - Her ends have been looking dry/brittle/fragile lately.
2 - Can y'all recommend other conditioners and leave-ins to use on her hair?
3 - She's only 3: is it too soon to consider a trim?
4 - Is it too soon to consider a visit to the Dominican Salon across the street?!:eek:

Below is a picture of her hair after washing and conditioning, no additional product.

View attachment 1693
Thanks y'all! I appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Get her a denman d3 brush! I use this along with my K Cutter comb to detangle my hair. Use the denman to smooth each section of hair before braiding it. When I do this and let my hair dry, it feels like its been pressed because my hair is so smooth. For conditioner, I like Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner (pink bottle). Use a little on each section as a leave in. It makes my hair very smooth and shiny.

I'm glad you posted this. My 3 1/2 year old has extremely dry hair as well. It's funny because when it's wet (like after washing) the edges are are wavy and her hair get's really curly. But once it dries it starts looking crazy..lol. I have tried everything. Last weekend I put some olive oil in it for like a day then washed it out. Her hair wasn't as dry as it normally is. I might keep that up. Store bought hair care products are really not doing anything for her dryness so I'll stalk this thread to see if you get more responses.

BamaBelle said:
Hey y'all!

My daughter has wavy, coily, curly hair. I have no idea what index it is, I just know it isn't 4a or b because that's what I am (I'd guess on her's being in the 3-something range).

I wash and deep condition once a week to every ten days, depending on the weather since we airdry (I tried blow drying it once with an attachment on the dryer: her ends were extremely dry, the entire texture was just plain weird). I apply Motions Leave-in Conditioner, Motions Leave-in Spray, WGO to the scalp, Woojee Creme to the ends and Carrot Oil Creme all-over. Then, I usually braid in small plaits or sectioned braided ponytails with Ouchless bands (even on the ends to keep the moisture on the ends of the hair and to avoid losing more barrettes at school :mad: - tired of buying them to be swept up by the custodian every evening - I digress, as usual.

4 - Is it too soon to consider a visit to the Dominican Salon across the street?!:eek:

Below is a picture of her hair after washing and conditioning, no additional product.

View attachment 1693

To me, she looks like a 3c/4a. In my opinion, at age 3, she is way too young to be going to a dominican style salon. Just some things that came to mind:

-does she sleep with anything covering hair?
-does she have a satin or silk pillow case?
-does she get her hair wet when she takes a bath/shower?
- how often do you moisturize? You should do it at least everyday and focus on the ends.

ALSO: not too early to trim!

My daughter hair is kinda of like that text.(She's TERRIBLE 2. Although That's another story) Her hair is very dry also so I went to the BSS to find a product to help I found Sofn'free n' pretty
Carrot oil creme
and Sofn'freen'pretty Olive Oil spray I use both when I wash her hair or whenever I comb it and it makes a big difference with dryness and overall silkness and smoothness

Last edited:
OOps I forgot I also use BlueMagic Hair Dress. LOL!!! I know that's old school but it works for me. so again I use those 3 products carrot oil creme oliv oil spray and blue magic hair dress

goldensensation said:
To me, she looks like a 3c/4a. In my opinion, at age 3, she is way too young to be going to a dominican style salon. Just some things that came to mind:

-does she sleep with anything covering hair?
-does she have a satin or silk pillow case?
-does she get her hair wet when she takes a bath/shower?
- how often do you moisturize? You should do it at least everyday and focus on the ends.

ALSO: not too early to trim!

Hey GS! Thanks for the questions... (I know, I know: I'm stalking the thread 20 minutes after posting the question!!! I'm online doing some research for a paper that was due three weeks ago :D ...)

Here we go:
-She sleeps with one of those satin caps on her hair...
-Miss Thang also has a satin pillow case (and insists on having both the pillow case and the cap!)
-Generally her hair doesn't get wet when she bathes
-I moisturize in the manner I originally described approximately every other nite, but will quickly apply some kind of moisture in the morning as needed (Carrot Oil Creme, WGO, Woojee Creme, etc... Something!)

I, like you, don't think she's old enough to visit the Salon but I have seen little girls her age in the chair! (And they have long, seemingly healthy hair... hum...) Regarding the trim, can I go to the salon for that? Maybe wash and condition it and take her across the street for them to trim it (under my critical, careful eye)? All I know is: I DON'T KNOW NUTHIN' 'BOUT TRIMMIN' NO HAIR!!!

Many, many thanks to all y'all!
:p

How are you using the Blue Magic, Dark&Lovely? On the scalp or the hair? Blue Magic? Daggoneit! You took me way back! Back to Dixie Peach days!!!

Nice thread!!! :up: My daughter is 2 y/o and a little over a month ago I noticed that she was getting split ends so I clip the tips then I purchased Mane n Tails Olive Oil cream. I wash her hair with Just For Me conditioning shampoo then I apply the leave-in conditioner detangler...after I style her hair I treat the shaft of her hair with the Mane n Tail Olive Oil cream daily....I'm proud to say I haven't seen one split end since and ya'll know I've been stalking every hair on both of our heads since I joined LHCF :lachen: Her hair is a 3a....as pretty as her hair is to look at she's tenderheaded like a mug :( she screams bloody murder if I come near her with a comb or brush....I told her to suck it up, that's what she gets for being born a girl. :lachen:

Have you considered trying Carol's Daughter products for your daughter's hair? I would recommend the Healthy Hair Butter and also the Hair Milk. I think they'd both keep your daughter's natural hair moisturized and bring out the curls.

Hi,
I totally understand your situation, I have a 5 year old her hair is midback when stretched, her hair used to be really dry until i came to this forum, I started doing, cowashes on her with coconut milk, amla oil, olive oil and any conditioner, I only use generic nexxus therappe shampoo on her and generic nexxus humectress conditioner on her hair those are great for moisture and gentle on her hair. don't take your daughter to the dominicans she's way too young for that. just wash her hair every week, i blow dry my daughter's hair after I section it and put it in ponytails, blow drying it with a brush will cause major damage, check my fotki out for pix of my 5 yr old, i think i mention what i do to her hair there.

I would highly recommend just trying coconut oil
I have a soon to be 2 year old and I was having the same issues
I went to Whole Foods and bought a jar of coconut oil and I use it for deep conditioning and a lil as a leave in
And her hair has completely changed

BamaBelle said:
How are you using the Blue Magic, Dark&Lovely? On the scalp or the hair? Blue Magic? Daggoneit! You took me way back! Back to Dixie Peach days!!!
:lachen: :lachen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know BM is old school :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use it in the scalp & on the hair from root to ends.
I use the carrot oil creme the same way.
And I just spray the olive oil detangler spray over the whole head

You can also spritz her hair every morning with a little water, IMO that's the best moisture, a little water, a little moisturizer and a little oil every day. All the moisturizer and oil won't wake her hair up like a little water. All I use on my daughter's hair is CON, conditioner, (every week or 2)moisturizer and oil. Most days all she needs is a little spritz of water and some oil. Twists are also great for a little one's hair, then you are not combing and tugging all of the time. Btw, her hair is just beautiful. Please, please, please do not take her to a dominican salon:nono:, all that heat on a baby's head would be terrible. Also, don't be scared to trim her ends, the easiest way is to braid or twist all over and dust or snip maybe 1/4 inch off the ends.

I have the opposite problem but simular, my daughter hair is extra, extra soft. It is like it never change from birth. It is soft and frizzy, in it natural state, it will draw fuzz, and dirt to it like a lint roller. But is pretty when first comb. Since I have been part of LHCF, I have changer her products to Cantu shampoo, ORS condition once a month, ORS Carrot Oil Cream & Aloe Vera gel. The Aloe help keeps the soft wavy frizzy hair in control. Here hair has grown, a documented 4 1/2 to 5 inches since I have joined. She is 5 and my mom said to me when she came up here for Christmas that she was loving how her hair was looking, man wait until she see her this July. Thanks LHCF Family.....
Links to her pics below of that funnny hair, not like mine...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/neonbright/ColeCurlsFront.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/neonbright/ColeCurlsSide.jpg

Last edited:
mizztasha49 said:
I went to Whole Foods and bought a jar of coconut oil and I use it for deep conditioning and a lil as a leave in

I second this... I would follow a leave in moisturizer with an oil. I use Sweet almond oil or coconut oil on my little girl. Her hair is still soft by the end of the day!!

neonbright said:
I have the opposite problem but simular, my daughter hair is extra, extra soft. It is like it never change from birth. It is soft and frizzy, in it natural state, it will draw fuzz, and dirt to it like a lint roller. But is pretty when first comb. Since I have been part of LHCF, I have changer her products to Cantu shampoo, ORS condition once a month, ORS Carrot Oil Cream & Aloe Vera gel. The Aloe help keeps the soft wavy frizzy hair in control. Here hair has grown, a documented 4 1/2 to 5 inches since I have joined. She is 5 and my mom said to me when she came up here for Christmas that she was loving how her hair was looking, man wait until she see her this July. Thanks LHCF Family.....
Links to her pics below of that funnny hair, not like mine...
She is beautiful and her hair is so pretty and shiny!! Thanks for the tips .. I have to try this out on my little girl!! Where do you buy Cantu shampoo?

Hey y'all!

I definitely have to thank every one of y'all for your help!!! Coconut oil? I'll stop by Whole Foods on the way home tomorrow night... BTW: I gave up the idea of the Dominican Salon for her - y'all beat a sistah up so bad!!! :whip:

I purchased a set of shears today at the BSS and will trim homegirl's hair this weekend when we wash and deep condition. I'll continue with the Motions potions and ORS Carrot Oil until we come up with other ideas. Luckily she isn't tenderheaded and takes getting her hair done as her cue to fall asleep! I can cut it then... Don't want her to see Momma using scissors in her hair and get the idea that it's okay to play like that... Oh no! :eek:

Anyway, thank y'all, again, for all your support and ideas. I'll be better this weekend: I'm going to actually 1- buy a digital camera (are we the last folks on the planet to get one? Just got a DVD player last year... as a gift!!!) and 2 - upload some pictures to Fotki to create albums (I've had that account for almost 6 months and don't have a single photo in it!)

Best,
BamaBelle

If her hairl likes olive oil you might want to try Qhemet Biologics products, they are really good and made w/ olive oil

BamaBelle said:
Hey y'all!

View attachment 1693

Quick Question, what type of comb are you using to detangle her hair? Also what kind of shampoo and conditioner? I second hairlove and think that Carols Daughter products like Hair Milk would be good for her, it may be able to negate the various other products that you are using. Healthy Hair butter is good as well but ever since they added the corn oil, I stopped being a fan. Asha has some great products that you can check out (www.myashas.com) A good conditioner is Organic Hair Mayonnaise which I like to mix up with the Carols Daughter Khoret Amen Oil, place a shower cap on top and then a wool hat on top of that (to trap in heat) for about an hour or so. It's not too early to slighty trim the ends after you've braided or twisted her hair. Another option is to detangle thoroughly and check the ends and then do a little snip. HTH

mizztasha49 said:

This message is for Mizztasha49. I have a 3 year old also with very dry hair, her hair is great when it is wet. I went to whole food and they were out of the cocunut oil, but I tried the tester on display. How often do you use the coconut oil on her hair, and when you use it as a deep conditioner do you wash it out? What shampoo and conditioner do you use on your daughter. I have tried several shampoos, so far I like Jane Carter solutions shampoo and condition. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I expected my daughter to hair down her back by now. But it is still short.

Thank you!! I just love this website, so much great info!!:)

Back