I need help trying to reduce heat :(

soslychic

Hey everbody.
I'm wondering if someone can help me out.
Recently I've been enjoying flat ironing my hair. I don't do this too often and I don't think that in itself is causing any harm at least for now because I keep my hair well moisturzed and deep conditioned. The problem is that while my hair is straight, I use the flat iron everyday to flip out the ends and style it. I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet (split ends or dry or burnt hair) but this can't be good and I know bad things will happen if continue doing this.

So my question is how can I style my hair in between so that I only use heat when I go through to straighten my whole hair and not for daily styling? Even when I wrap it and take it down although it's straight because of the cut which I'm not changing because I'm growing it out) and the length (layered-back a little past the end of nape, front to the middle of cheek) it doesn't look right unless I flip or curl it in some way. Is there someway I can get pretty curls on flat ironed hair without the heat? Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks so much! :)

Have you tried pin-curling your hair at night? I take the curls down in the morning and wrap it while I'm getting ready for work. Keeps my hair flipped all day long!:grin:

HTH

In the evening, tou could use Satin Rollers in your hair for an hour or so after you moisturize it. Remove the rollers, but don't comb it out oo much and then sleep with a satin bonnet.

You could also roll it with the satin rollers in the morning before getting ready and take them out before you leave.

I have done these both.

That is what prompted my "Do you tie or wrap your hair at night?" thread. My hair is always flat when I wrap it, but it is not as much when I don't wrap it.

I am afriad to use heat everyday so I have been doing the methods I listed at the top. But, even that has gotten old for me. :(

It may not give you the best results, but sponge rollers came to mind (first cover with the paper), or even the caruso rollers to avoid heat damage :)

Hair Peace said:
Have you tried pin-curling your hair at night? I take the curls down in the morning and wrap it while I'm getting ready for work. Keeps my hair flipped all day long!:grin:

HTH

What kind of pin curls do you do? When you wrap it in the morning, it doesn't knock any flip out?

HoneyDew said:
In the evening, tou could use Satin Rollers in your hair for an hour or so after you moisturize it. Remove the rollers, but don't comb it out oo much and then sleep with a satin bonnet.

You could also roll it with the satin rollers in the morning before getting ready and take them out before you leave.

I have done these both.

That is what prompted my "Do you tie or wrap your hair at night?" thread. My hair is always flat when I wrap it, but it is not as much when I don't wrap it.

I am afriad to use heat everyday so I have been doing the methods I listed at the top. But, even that has gotten old for me. :(

satin rollers... i can't get a picture in my mind. Could you tell me what they look like?

*Dee* said:
It may not give you the best results, but sponge rollers came to mind (first cover with the paper), or even the caruso rollers to avoid heat damage :)

I was thinking of the caruso rollers too but will not the steam not unstraighten the hair?

I do this thing with my hair at night where I bend over at the waist and gather all my hair into a pontail. Then I roll my hair onto intself in one big roll and secure with a satin scrunchie. Then I cover with my scarf. When I wake up, I have tons of body and my ends are turned under. I bet you could do the same thing, just roll up if you want the ends flipped.

soslychic said:
satin rollers... i can't get a picture in my mind. Could you tell me what they look like?

These are the ones I use:
http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=1&pid=172&lp=36

They are just regular foam rollers with satin on them. I like the scunci ones because they are soft. I have checked out others and they had hard foam underneath and did not get the curls tight enough.

172_l.jpg

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.
Has anyone tried wrap snap and go rollers from Sally's? How do you think those would work?

caligirl said:
I do this thing with my hair at night where I bend over at the waist and gather all my hair into a pontail. Then I roll my hair onto intself in one big roll and secure with a satin scrunchie. Then I cover with my scarf. When I wake up, I have tons of body and my ends are turned under. I bet you could do the same thing, just roll up if you want the ends flipped.
This technique sounds easy and I bet it looks very pretty when you let your hair down.:)

Very large pin curls will give you the look you want. I use the larger clips to give me less curl. Plus you can sleep on them all night w/o going insane :)

HoneyDew said:
These are the ones I use:
http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=1&pid=172&lp=36

They are just regular foam rollers with satin on them. I like the scunci ones because they are soft. I have checked out others and they had hard foam underneath and did not get the curls tight enough.

172_l.jpg
OMG.... I have been SEARCHING for satin covered rollers on the net!! I think there's even a thread in the vendors section about it. Thanks for posting that.

ETA: There's no place on the site to buy them. :( I guess I'll have to go searching at a CVS or something for them.

Last edited:
Try using steam rollers from Sally's Beauty Supply. They are about 30 bucks for a set. No damage what soever because your hair sets with steam vs dry damaging heat.

This is how I managed to kick the heat bucket. I did a review on them. I use them every day so far for a year. No damage what so ever!

SerenityBreeze said:
Try using steam rollers from Sally's Beauty Supply. They are about 30 bucks for a set. No damage what soever because your hair sets with steam vs dry damaging heat.

This is how I managed to kick the heat bucket. I did a review on them. I use them every day so far for a year. No damage what so ever!
Very true! :up:

I agree. Pin curling combined with using the Caruso rollers is a good solution. If you don't want to have to use the rollers every day, I would pin curl at night. It may take you one or two tries to figure out how to get the best set with the Caruso rollers. Your hair should not revert. It would only possibly be frizzy if you steam the rollers too long (they become to soggy) and you do not allow your hair to dry before taking them out. There is a $4 off coupon at Sally's right now. Good luck!

Steam rollers would be a great alternative. I was like you about two years ago constantly putting heat to my hair. I have not used direct heat on my hair since 2004.

secretdiamond said:
OMG.... I have been SEARCHING for satin covered rollers on the net!! I think there's even a thread in the vendors section about it. Thanks for posting that.

ETA: There's no place on the site to buy them. :( I guess I'll have to go searching at a CVS or something for them.

The ones I love are new apparently. I cannot seem to find them online at all. I bought a package from CVS and loved to so much I wiped out their whole stash the next day.

SerenityBreeze said:

I have to get a set of these!! I have wanted to try them.

It's just that I think of steam and all I can see is frizz and a picture of myself looking like a poodle. But with all the ladies that rely on them, I am going to put my skepticism away for a bit. :)

I bought 2 packs of those black satin rollers from Walmart yesterday. I'll see how they work!

I also want to try those Caruso rollers. I'll see if I can come up with some extra cash. I'm too young to be goin' into debt yall :D :D

soslychic said:
What kind of pin curls do you do? When you wrap it in the morning, it doesn't knock any flip out?

I just finger curl my hair and secure with a large bobby pin. It doesn't knock the flip out at all. Whenever I do it everyone always asks how do I get the curls to last all week? ;)

soslychic said:
I was thinking of the caruso rollers too but will not the steam not unstraighten the hair?

I use these often and the steam heats the roller, and the roller curls your hair so I don't think it will unstraighten the hair. I was going to suggest Caruso or the Ionic steam rollers. A couple years ago I was using them frequently throughout the week and I never had heat damage.

Back