I need help! Tell me all you know about Neem and Shikakai Powder!

Neith

The neem I am interested in because I have read that:

It's an antiseptic - it'll get my scalp clean

It's high in sulfur - good for growth

It's great for eczema too... what? Sounds great :yep:

I'd like to know if neem powder dries your hair out? Is it stripping or gently cleansing on the hair? Does it have a strong smell?

What is the most effective way to use it to cleanse the hair/scalp? Mixed with water and made liquid, as a paste, mixed with conditioner?

I am doing research, but really good info on these powders is a little difficult to get and absorb quickly, lol.

I'm also interested in Shikakai Powder for cleansing my hair.

Is this stuff harsh or gentle on the hair?

Do either of these products have any effect on the color or texture of your hair?

I mix my neem with amla and shikakai. It doesn't have a strong smell. They all kind of have a tea-like smell to them.

I know you're not supposed to use shikakai alone because it's a cleanser, so you can either mix it with a conditioning powder or with conditioner (there's a famous co-washing recipe that keeps popping up in threads).

And... I had no idea that neem was high in sulfur. Hmmm... I may have to track down some neem oil for scalp massages.

Last edited:
I mix my neem with amla and shikakai. It doesn't have a strong smell. They all kind of have a tea-like smell to them.

I know you're not supposed to use shikakai alone because it's a cleanser, so you can either mix it with a conditioning powder or with conditioner (there's a famous co-washing recipe that keeps popping up in threads).

And... I had no idea that neem was high in sulfur. Hmmm... I may have to track down some neem oil for scalp massages.

Yeah, neem sounds amazing. I'm getting some (right now I'm already on a website ordering some :lol:) and I'm going to try it on my skin for sure.

On my hair, I just am unsure how to go about it and what the affects would be.

If anyone knows that co wash shikakai recipe, please post it!

I have both powders. I haven't tried Neem yet. I didn't know it's high in sulfur. I'm going to try it soon. I agree with Rosie, you should use Shikakai with a conditioning powder like Amla or Maka or in a condish. LongHairDontCare has a good recipe for this. Shikakai is great for cleansing the scalp and hair growth.

Yeah, neem sounds amazing. I'm getting some (right now I'm already on a website ordering some :lol:) and I'm going to try it on my skin for sure.

On my hair, I just am unsure how to go about it and what the affects would be.

If anyone knows that co wash shikakai recipe, please post it!

I mixed some amla and neem into a powder and applied to my face once. OMG! My skin is naturally soft, but I have NEVER felt that level of soft. It was awesome. I then applied coconut oil...:love2:

I have both powders. I haven't tried Neem yet. I didn't know it's high in sulfur. I'm going to try it soon. I agree with Rosie, you should use Shikakai with a conditioning powder like Amla or Maka or in a condish. LongHairDontCare has a good recipe for this. Shikakai is great for cleansing the scalp and hair growth.

Thanks!

I'm going to have to go look up Maka now because I haven't heard of that one. I'm not that interested in the Amla because I read that it darkens hair over time.

I have a large container mixed with 1 box of Alma, I box of Shikakai, and one box of Neem. I use this mixture in Cowashes, I also used the same powders to make an oil, I just use Coconut oil, my powder mixture & let it simmer in a small Crockpot I bought just for this purpose, I let it simmer for a few hours then let it sit over night. By the morning all the sludge has settled to the bottom & wallah!!!! Infused oil with no straining!!!! Then I just poured it into a glass bottle with a nozzle. The kind for salad oils, I got it from Target. Also my dd had acne on her face & chest, I had her make a paste out of the Neem and apply it to these areas, let dry then rinse. It cleared it up almost overnight!!! She repeated this for about a week & her skin was clear.

I have a large container mixed with 1 box of Alma, I box of Shikakai, and one box of Neem. I use this mixture in Cowashes, I also used the same powders to make an oil, I just use Coconut oil, my powder mixture & let it simmer in a small Crockpot I bought just for this purpose, I let it simmer for a few hours then let it sit over night. By the morning all the sludge has settled to the bottom & wallah!!!! Infused oil with no straining!!!! Then I just poured it into a glass bottle with a nozzle. The kind for salad oils, I got it from Target. Also my dd had acne on her face & chest, I had her make a paste out of the Neem and apply it to these areas, let dry then rinse. It cleared it up almost overnight!!! She repeated this for about a week & her skin was clear.

Wow! Thanks for telling me about your daughter. I always have skin issues :(

Question : When you add cleansing powders to your co wash conditioner, how much cleansing do you get? Is it more clean than just co washing without adding powders?

Wow! Thanks for telling me about your daughter. I always have skin issues :(

Question : When you add cleansing powders to your co wash conditioner, how much cleansing do you get? Is it more clean than just co washing without adding powders?

Yeah I would say so, but it's stiil not stripping & more gentle than doing them as a paste. Also I only use this mixture about once a month. I have a mixture of Bhrami, Alma, Bhringhaj that I use for my cowashes mostly. Because of the moisture.

Back