I need a little color... Tracey Help!!!!

BrownBetty

Hello Folks,

I need a little help. I am a relaxed 4 a/b (mizani mild lye). I have a dark rinse with Coffee bean, cellophane (sebastians). My hair is damn near midnight!

Now I have had this rinse for about a year and a half (refresh every 2 - 3 months, damn this early greying).

I want hi lites. My hair dresser claims that I can get them without bleaching my hair that it can be done with color. She claims that this would cause no breakage and they way I take care of my hair it shouldn't be a problem.

I only go to her for a touchup every 8 weeks, the occasional wash and set if something comes up. I do a protein treatment at least once a month, my favorite conditioner is the wheat germ from salerm and the greatest leave in ever is instant silk by goldwell. I have a BSS in my house nexxus, elucence, kenra ect..

I know I can take care of them but will the intial process cause a lot of damage? Better yet because my hair is black can the hilites even be done?

TIA

Here is the info on the leave in (I attached a pic):

Instant Silk Fluid - Kerasilk - goldwell
Leave in treatment that revives dry dull hair and creates shine and manageability
Highly concentrated moisture formula for all hair types
Repair as well as surface effect
combability to frizz control
Excellent Variation of amount used leads to multiple effects from instant shine, care for split ends
Silk Protein, Wheat Bran Lipids and Jojoba Oil for instant smoothness and restructuring
Ultra light care layers enhanced with Vitamin E to protect hair from external damage

P.S - Nice to be back!

Hey Miss Vee!

I think depending on the color you want, the suggestions your stylist made are good ones. If you want a blond, you are right - you may have some trouble. But if dark caramel, burgundy, auburn or mahoghany work for you, she could be absolutely right - permie color - no bleach - could be enough to get a nice shade without the damage. I rarely think one should use bleach no matter the task - so that's how I feel about that. :)

I also agree that it sounds like you use good products, and your hair should be well taken care of. Just be sure to add some protein to your regime if it's not already there. Sounds like both of you are right, to me! :) Just depends on what color you want....

Thanks!!

What happens when I go in for a touch up of the rinse? Will it darken the color of the hi lites? How often do the hi lites get redone? I have never had a permanent color and your the expert.

yeah, a perm. color should be fine for the highlights. and yes, when you get a rinse it will darken the highlights. maybe you can put a color block on those parts and/or fold them up in foil.

hOnii said:
yeah, a perm. color should be fine for the highlights. and yes, when you get a rinse it will darken the highlights. maybe you can put a color block on those parts and/or fold them up in foil.
Thanks! I have no clue about "real" color. I am just sooooo bored with my hair but I don't want to do anything to damage it.

Back