I need a Haircut: My BF mom is a stylist can I trust her?

Falon

Now that I have decided to trim my ends I need to find someone to do it. My bf is trying to push me into going to see his mom but I'm not sure if that is a good idea.

The main reason is that she is peurto rican and has type 1 hair and works in a salon that services mainly white people.

His ex-gf is black and is still friends with his mom and gets her hair done at her salon but I have never met her nor seen a picture of her hair so who knows?

His mom is really reputable and she has even been on some reality T.V shows...like Queer Eye for the straight guy and she did Omorosa's hair. But I don't think most people come out looking all that good on those shows anyway. I mean she works at some fancy salon in mid-town Manhattan so she should be good right? But why do I get the feeling she is one of those people who don't get it?

And worst yet. If I don't see her that still leaves me with having to find someone else to do it. This is why I dreaded getting my hair trimmed. I don't have anyone reliable to do it. My sister and mom are clueless about hair and my mother cuts uneven anyway!

well, i'd say that you go ahead and let her. since you dont have anyone els ereliable to do it. i mean, its all up to you, if you watch the shows she's on and dont like how the people come out, then maybe you should consider going elsewhere to get it done. maybe you shoukd talk to her and let her know what your looking for, and if she can do it, then take that chance..

I don't know girl. If she jacked you up (like cuts off too much), it might be very uncomfortable and awkward.

I say follow your instincts. Theres always the salon review board, i remember reading about a NY stylists thats suppose to be really good with trims. I'll bump the thread for you on the salon board..

I know I am such a crybaby you would think my hair was down my back or something. But I feel like I am finally seeing some results after 2 and a half years of frustration...I dont' want any set backs now.

I am going to call the place Denali03 recommended. I know it sounds weird to trust someone you never met over someone you know. But I have never seen any heads my bf's mom has done and I don't know how good she is with "our" kind of hair since she works with mainly white clients.

I really would trust a stylist recommended by an LHCF member over someone I know cuz I KNOW how picky the ladies on this board are.

I also don't want a problem cuz she is the "Master Stylist" So I don't know how open she would be to me telling her her business. I don't want it to be tense if she doesn't so what I want. And it will be tense so I will avoid the drama.

Thanks guys. I will wait till the weekend then I will post some more pics of course. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wouldn't let her b/c like SG said, if she jacks you up that might be awkward. You should always keep a professional relationship w/ stylists, and never get too close or personal b/c at the end of the day, if you have to tell her about herself, or go to another stylists, you don't want to hurt her feelings or your BF. JMHO

Back