I need a gel or a pomade, or some kind of holding product recommendation!!

*ElleB

I've been asking about the Fantasia IC pomade lately for this reason...

Here is my dilemma. I'm 5 months post. So my hair is all puffy and whatnot. I have been using the Ampro Pro-Style (aka nasty brown gel, christened by someone on this forum:lol: ) lol, anyway, I've laid off using it everyday because it makes my hair hard and dry like broom straw. I was at school in the bathroom, looked at my hair....It was slicked down , but it looked like all the moisture had been sucked out of it. It looked horrendous! Almost dead!:eek: (Well, hair literally is dead, but u know what I mean, hehe)

SO then, I said, I'll just put some water on it and then put some oil to seal it, tie it down and the Voila! That worked for about 30 after I took the scarf off... After that, the hair on the sides was coming out of place, flying through the wind, and I'm looking like a grade-school tomboy coming home from wrestling on a concrete playground!!!!!! I caught a glimpse of myself and cringed! I looked like I know nothing about doing my hair properly, like my mama needs to get ahold of me or sumthin.

Its hard to keep that hair in check with all this NG. I've tried sooo many combos of stuff...Can sum 1 help!

Yea, I picked it up and saw that, but I figured since it would just coat my hair, and if I washed it out..., I was tryna reason with myself to find an excuse to buy another prod...

After reading the reviews about Aloe Vera Gel, I went and purchased Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel at Wal-mart and I really like it. :yep: It does not flake and gives a good hold that does not leave your hair hard or dry.

I'll check a health food store...No Walmarts here in the Big Apple unfortunately, thanks Ronda123...

Any more recs??

I use Eco Styler gel. It's brown, but has a soft, flexible, shiny hold. When I need serious hold, I use ICE Hair Spiker. If you use this stuff, which they describe as hair glue, your hair WILL NOT move and it won't dry it out. My only problem with is it doesn't co-wash out. I have to use shampoo to get it all out. I haven't had any problems with it, but I don't use it everyday. The Eco Styler is my everyday hair gel and it co-washes out easily.

I use Fantasia IC Thick n' Shine Gel (Also brown gel, but not drying). I LOVE this stuff to slick back my hair into a low puff. On my 3rd jar.

Cantu Creamy Leave In is what I use to combat new growth. It smoothes and slicks my hair down really good if I tie a scarf on my head after making a pony tail...it's better than gel...and it shines too.

Bees said:
Cantu Creamy Leave In is what I use to combat new growth. It smoothes and slicks my hair down really good if I tie a scarf on my head after making a pony tail...it's better than gel...and it shines too.

ITA! This stuff is the truth! And I also LOVE Elasta's Mango butter, since its near impossible to find Cantu products around my area, I stick with my staple, Elasta Mango butter...stuff smells great and moisturizes well.

You can also try activator gels. They will add moisture to your hair, will slick it down and they wash out easily by just plain water.

mohair said:
I use Elasta QP Glaze and I love it. It lays the hair down, without leaving it hard and dry.

Like an idiot, I made this post and forgot that I'd bought the glaze!!! (PJism!!) Anyway, i used it this morning ang I loved it. I put a scarf on it, but the only thing is my freaking coat slaps at the left side of head. There is a wool part there, and my hair STILL flew outta place there!! And when I went to bathroom after my second class, I looked in the mirror and I'd lost some of the shine from first applying..But overall, the other side was still held down...the pesky edges came up a tad, but w/e...But I think my problem is prod buildup...Until I can clarify this weekend, I will take it with me and re-apply... A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!!!

Also, I bought the Mango Butter the same time I bought the Glaze but haven't used it, cuz like I said, I have so much gunk in my hair from tryna keep it sleek and layed down. So I will experiment when the situation is taken care of.

Bees said:

Doesn't cantu have two leave ins? If so which one, if not, I'mma go look right now on their site...

Thankies!

I am experiencing a similar dilemna. Right now my hc regime consists of mtg on my scalp in the pm and S-Curl moisturizer, then I bag it. In the pm, I brush it back with a mousse and pin my bun on. My problem is that about 1/2 way thru the day, I have stray pieces sticking out. The mousse doesn't have good hold, but when I was using the gel, it got too hard for me comb at night to put the mtg in. The only other option would be to wash the gel out EVERY night and I don't want to do that. Help:look:

diva2b said:
I am experiencing a similar dilemna. Right now my hc regime consists of mtg on my scalp in the pm and S-Curl moisturizer, then I bag it. In the pm, I brush it back with a mousse and pin my bun on. My problem is that about 1/2 way thru the day, I have stray pieces sticking out. The mousse doesn't have good hold, but when I was using the gel, it got too hard for me comb at night to put the mtg in. The only other option would be to wash the gel out EVERY night and I don't want to do that. Help:look:

I think my only option as far as I can see, is reapplying :( Awww, well, I refuse to keep looking like I've wrestling on a playground...

Yeah, I think I'll have to do the same. I guess it'll be okay to look crazy for a few more weeks, if I'm gonna look fly in the end (lol).

Back