I made a potentially disatrous hair mistake...

ShiShiPooPoo

So going on three weeks ago I got my relaxer. Usually after about a week I go ahead and do my Natural Instincts black rinse. This time I noticed my hair was breaking a little more than I had ever noticed it...I contributed it to the rinse which I had noticed dried my hair out just a little last time. Well, after a few days when the breaking didn't let up, I decide to do an Aphogee hard core...I know, I know:wallbash:. *please don't yell at me!*

Now my hair is still breaking but just a little more than before the Aphogee. It's very annoying. Now I don't trip out and have panic attacks when I see breakage because I just think it is normal so I'm not TRIPPIN' too bad-just getting a little concerned.

I usually co-wash every night and that V05 Extra Body has kept my hair in immaculate condition...not a dry hair, split, break or nothin' but it has hydrolyzed collagen and keratin in it and I don't know if I should be using that...it does give me a nice moist feel and that nice stretch of the hair strand that we oh so covet.

What should I use? Cowashing usually corrects dryness, breakage issues but I am scared I am doing to much manipulation. Should I cowash with a more moisturizing condish? Help me! I need a suggestion!

HELP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Hrm. Since it ramped up a little after the Aphogee, it might not be a bad idea to go to something a little more moisturizing for your cowashes - or tossing in an extra DC.....

I would definently do a deep condish, I usually need it after using aphogee.

ETA: moisturizing deep condish.:yep:

Last edited:
Hrm. Since it ramped up a little after the Aphogee, it might not be a bad idea to go to something a little more moisturizing for your cowashes - or tossing in an extra DC.....

Do you think the V05 with the keratin and collagen is too much protein still?

Oh I hope you get to the bottom of this. Your hair is so pretty and you have been doing so well with it.

Do you think the V05 with the keratin and collagen is too much protein still?

Honestly - I don't know....but, there wouldn't be any harm in going to something else for a cowash or two, right? On the other hand, if it IS too much, continuing to use it might be a realllly bad idea.

Use moisture only conditioners for cowashing and DCing till ur hair is in propper moisture/protien balance.
Avoid anything with keratin,collagen, and marine proteins at this time

Silk and wheat protiens are fine since they are for silkening,softening, and moisturizing

I had the same kind of experience from Natural Instincts Black. I use the dark brown tones for years without a problem. I used black my hair dried out and started breaking. :( I think used Aveda DR conditioner overnight put me back right. Well, that and a trim. :(

Use moisture only conditioners for cowashing and DCing till ur hair is in propper moisture/protien balance.

Silk and wheat protiens are fine since they are for silkening,softening, and moisturizing

I've got Elasta Breakage Control with Wheat Protein...is that safe to use?

I also have Elasta Intense, Tresemme Moisture Rich...

I had the same kind of experience from Natural Instincts Black. I use the dark brown tones for years without a problem. I used black my hair dried out and started breaking. :( I think used Aveda DR conditioner overnight put me back right. Well, that and a trim. :(

Oh Lawd.

I do have the entire Aveda line...but isn't that protein enriched?

I used Natural Instincts Midnight too. The first time it did make my hair really dry and slightly break. I used my Pantene Moisture Rich condish with a lil WGO, castor oil, and evoo an let it sit overnight and my hair was soft... (I also wrapped it in saran wrap... baggyin?) try adding some oils to your tresemme... that should do the trick... let me know how it turns out. I love ur hair and my nickname is shishi so i have a soft spot in my heart for you:grin: lol

I used Natural Instincts Midnight too. The first time it did make my hair really dry and slightly break. I used my Pantene Moisture Rich condish with a lil WGO, castor oil, and evoo an let it sit overnight and my hair was soft... (I also wrapped it in saran wrap... baggyin?) try adding some oils to your tresemme... that should do the trick... let me know how it turns out. I love ur hair and my nickname is shishi so i have a soft spot in my heart for you:grin: lol

Awwww...that's sooo sweet!

Pantene Moisture Rich huh?

I am now seeing that I need to go out and buy moisturizing conditioners...

Here's what I did last night...I poo'd with CON green label, used the breakage defense serum (wheat protein supposedly moisturizing), then slapped AO Honeysuckle Rose (what little I had left) and baggied all night. This morning I overslept so I could not wash it out so I just slicked it back and bunned. I still noticed a few very short broken hairs this morning and one broken one that was about 3-4 inches long but the rest had the bulb at the end so I think that is a good sign.

I will be ordering Color Showers next week and will have to give up on the Natural Instincts I guess...I can't have my hair breaking off...not an option.:nono:

Yea I feel you... the only reason I even used the Natural Instincts is because they were all out of Sebastian's colourshine thingys at the BSS in black... I figured this was the safest alternative... I did it a few weeks ago and it isn't fading so i think im not gonna color it anymore until i get my blonde highlights in may (im scared tho!)

Hope everything works out

Oh and you def need a moisturizing shampoo. My hair loves the NTM (the whole line) and pantene and me been on and off for 15 yrs so those are my suggestion. My hair has loved my for it ( the pantene relaxed and natural deep condish mask is also great for moisture and protein)

Awwww...that's sooo sweet!

Pantene Moisture Rich huh?

I am now seeing that I need to go out and buy moisturizing conditioners...

Here's what I did last night...I poo'd with CON green label, used the breakage defense serum (wheat protein supposedly moisturizing), then slapped AO Honeysuckle Rose (what little I had left) and baggied all night. This morning I overslept so I could not wash it out so I just slicked it back and bunned. I still noticed a few very short broken hairs this morning and one broken one that was about 3-4 inches long but the rest had the bulb at the end so I think that is a good sign.

I will be ordering Color Showers next week and will have to give up on the Natural Instincts I guess...I can't have my hair breaking off...not an option.:nono:

Natural Instincts is a demi perm color. I bet the 10vol developer dried you out a little especially since your main conditioners are protein based. I think you might actually be my sisters hair twin. She usually responds very well to that VO5 one too. I think you should try doing a couple of moisturizing d/c's like the other other ladies suggested. Are you avoiding cones for any particular reason. In this case, you might want to try a moisturizer with cones to help keep that moisture bound to your hair strands, especially right now until they get out of their fragile state.

Aveda Damage Remedy Conditioner has no protein in it. At least none that I recognized. The Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment has protein.

Ohhhhhhh. I thought that it had Quinoa protein in it. I actually like that conditioner better than the treatment! I will keep this in mind.

Natural Instincts is a demi perm color. I bet the 10vol developer dried you out a little especially since your main conditioners are protein based. I think you might actually be my sisters hair twin. She usually responds very well to that VO5 one too. I think you should try doing a couple of moisturizing d/c's like the other other ladies suggested. Are you avoiding cones for any particular reason. In this case, you might want to try a moisturizer with cones to help keep that moisture bound to your hair strands, especially right now until they get out of their fragile state.

So demi perm has that touch of peroxide and semi perm does not correct? I always wondered what the difference was. Well, like I said I wound up with the Honeysuckle Rose in my hair all day from last night because I overslept and couldn't rinse it out this morning. So on my way home I stopped and picked up the AO Camellia Oil condish. I rinsed out the Honeysuckle ( hair felt like silk! Yay!) then did my V05 (gives me good elasticity) then rinsed and now I'm sitting here with the Camellia on my head and will probably leave it on all night and wash it out in the morning.

The breaking is starting to slow up and I'm seeing more whole hairs with the bulb on the end so it's all good. I just know not to use that Natural Instincts again:wallbash:.

So demi perm has that touch of peroxide and semi perm does not correct? I always wondered what the difference was. Well, like I said I wound up with the Honeysuckle Rose in my hair all day from last night because I overslept and couldn't rinse it out this morning. So on my way home I stopped and picked up the AO Camellia Oil condish. I rinsed out the Honeysuckle ( hair felt like silk! Yay!) then did my V05 (gives me good elasticity) then rinsed and now I'm sitting here with the Camellia on my head and will probably leave it on all night and wash it out in the morning.

The breaking is starting to slow up and I'm seeing more whole hairs with the bulb on the end so it's all good. I just know not to use that Natural Instincts again:wallbash:.

Yeah, demi perm has a little developer in it to help it last longer but not as long as permanent color. 10vol developer can't lift color, it just helps it seep in. I am sorry you had a bad experience with the Natural Instincts. I never had a problem with it. Keep us posted.

What she said :yep:

I've been there and protein overload sometimes takes several weeks to correct, so be patient with seeing results.

Back