I love my natural hair I really do... But it's pissing off!

Kinkyhairlady

I was determined to rock my own hair this morning for work but I could not get it to look right! Saturday I did the kcc and twisted, Sunday my hair was so shrunken I pinned them away. Sunday night I untwisted them and the the curls were defined, my hair just did not look right. Today I wake up and tried for at least 20 mins to style it to no avail. I ended up putting my wig on which I really did not want to do. How are you 4 a/b naturals styling your hair daily? My hair is short but long enough to go in a small ponytail.

I wear wash-n-gos and to keep my curls defined, I leave the ends loose at night. I actually plait hair into 3 large plaits but leave the ends loose. I'm also using the Keracare line for natural hair and after a lot of trial and errors with every product in the line, I've finally found what works for me.

Pics please so we can see what exactly your working with cause not every 4/b is the same!!

Oh I have to wait till I get home to upload a pic but I'm just trying to figure out what are the easiest cute hairstyles. I can't do wash n go cause my hair does not really curl up, it's just a fro.

I wear alot of headbands, puffs/ponys (with a banana clip), twistouts and I try to stretch my hair with twists then style. Lately I've been wearing more buns, is your stretched hair long enough to bun. I can't do wash n go's either, my hair tangles up too much for that. It is also fine, so it looks thin styled like that.

do you like a puff styled with a headband? i do that on bad hair days. you can't go wrong. i don't have 4b hair, but i got major shrinkage too and i can't do wash and gos anymore. my twist outs look good to me when i'm in the mirror, but look shrunken and a mess when i take a pic. so sometimes i will just pin the sides up and wear a frohawk. a flower headband or flower hair clip makes a big different too.

oh and mine pisses me off too. i think about relaxing everyday, but then i start feeling like a loser. so i just try me best to work with what i have. i have to remind myself that this is still new to me. the longer my hair gets, everything changes. i thought i was going to be able to wear wngs for the rest of me days. that was so easy. i wasn't experience any breakage and my hair was growing like weeds. now i am struggling to find out what works best and to keep hair on my head.

i am walking on ice not to cause another setback. i could kick myself for the setback i had several months ago. i got a hold to some bad hair dye and it cause a bald spot and some breakage in my crown area. and to make things worse, it didn't even take. it washed out like it was a semi permanent.

Last edited:
Girl, we are were in the same boat this morning!! I just said, 4B hair should always be twisted. I'm so disgusted.

I wear alot of headbands, puffs/ponys (with a banana clip), twistouts and I try to stretch my hair with twists then style. Lately I've been wearing more buns, is your stretched hair long enough to bun. I can't do wash n go's either, my hair tangles up too much for that. It is also fine, so it looks thin styled like that.

My stretch hair can go into a pony but it is a small one and I don't like it much. I did not stretch though cause I wanted to use kinky curly. I the twist were not so short I would have left them alone, it just did not look right on me.

How about pinning your hair until you get more length? I agree with the other ladies regarding bunning and braiding or twisting your hair nightly.

I just came in to say my wig is hot as hell...my real hair is not cooperating... I just stood in the mirror looking at my hair like this...

badgirls-t-judgingeyes.gif

I feel you girl... I'm just going to try again tommorrow...

Sorry you had a bad hair morning, been there....done that. For that reason I have a go-to bad hair day style which is simply a puff, esp following a failed braid/twist out. Usually my hair it far to textured to pull off a decent looking bun on those days so I either do a puff or push my headband far back and let the hair hang (sort of a low looser puff). I wish I had a pic to show you what I mean. Sorry!

I just came in to say my wig is hot as hell...my real hair is not cooperating... I just stood in the mirror looking at my hair like this...

:lachen: Im with you im hot under this wig. I'm going to weave it in the next 2 weeks. I get frustrated with my hair too sometimes it gets less and less everyday. That's the main reason for wearing the wig i don't want to mess with it everyday.

Get a weave to grow it to a desirable styling length. I am 1 year post BC and now able to style my hair & if it don't work out i can bun it.

I did braidouts a lot. Braidouts give more length than twistouts. I'm 1 1/2in.-2in from APL and twistouts still don't look right to me yet.

I don't style my hair everyday. But after a lot of trial and error I know some things just don't work for me. I usually have my hair tucked away in a beanie or a wig. Also I tend to wear my hair in twists a lot.

You might want to practice some style on an off day for when you're not going anyway. Even though I love my natural hair, it's very unpredictable. This week I'm doing strictly wash and gos due to the heat and quickness of them.

sistatv , I'm usually against quoting pics but that gif is hilarious. :lachen::lachen:

Trying not to bust out laughing at work.

My hair is very unpredictable and at SL with the shrinkage it's still too short to look cute in most styles. I typically keep my hair in 2 strand twists either lose or in a bun. Or I have it in a flat twist updo. On a rare occassion I will wear a puff. WNGs and out styles just look like fros on me.

Right now I'm in a ratting look self-installed box braid install. :ohwell:

I agree with one of the previous posters on practicing styles on the weekends and wearing something safe during the week. I don't do my hair midweek because there is no way I can recover without making myself late for work.

OP, you are not alone. When my twist outs fail, I wear a puff. I've just been putting in medium sized two-strand twists and wearing them pinned up 90% of the time lately. It's an easy, protective style and keeps my hair stretched.

:dead:

KinkyCurly never worked for me... Maybe try the same thing with la bella styling gel or long aid. A braid out with medium braids maybe work well for you and it helps keep shrinkage at bay.

I wear twist and curls or braid and curls and towards the end of the week when its looking a little shabby I always reach for my banana clip! Best invention for natural hair!

Funny I got this yesterday at Sallys after watching kimmaytube video but it did not work, maybe my hair needs to be stretched cause the clip would not close!

OMG!! That gif is hilarious..I was sittin at my desk at work and busted out laughin..this is exactly how I feel about some of my co-workers right now..phone just ringing and they hear it and not answerin da ish..lol!! Sorry I know this is off topic but vent ova thanks fa listening.. :-)

Just some days its like that. My hair has a mind of its own and its not always friendly. LOL

I was at a funky length and NOTHING worked. My poor styling skills don't help matters at all. It gets better.

I do braidouts/twistouts for about 3 days. The second day gets a headband. The third day is a puff with knee highs. :yep:

Back