I Love coconut oil, but it weighs my hair down!

*ElleB

Any alternatives or tips?

I tried just putting it on my scalp and distributing it through my hair with a brush and my hair still stuck to my face the next day.

The benefits of the oil have been great...My hair is never, ever crunchy and dry anymore and it always has a sheen :grin: but unfortunately, coconut oil makes it limp.

I've also tried putting it in a spray bottle but that didn't work too well either.

I'm using the spectrum brand.
Hmmm, so it may be that I'm using too much?
Sometimes when I feel too little, my whole head isn't getting moisturized. I'll give the "less is more" approach "a go" after my next wash.
Has anyone tried mixing it into another moisturizer?

I literally tried mixing mine with my hawaiin silky 14-n-1 when i first started & it was a disater...forgot that solids & liquids do not mix lol!! i had to literally melt the mix everyday when i used it...

Now, if i'm just doing a wash-n-go or ponytail, i spray my hair with my glycerin/saa/water mix and seal with the coconut oil...delicious!!!

Try meadowfoam seed or sweet almond. I use them both when I'm wearing my hair out. I use the coconut for days when I have my hair back in a bun or pony.

If it continues to be too heavy you could try mixing it with another lighter/thinner oil like grape seed or sweet almond.

I only use it when I have a lot of NG, because that is when I "need" it to be weighed down! LOL!

Back