I loooooove Rollersets

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
It's my favorite style; that's a reason as to why I'm hesitant to let go of my relaxed hair. Well, now I'm 2 months post and I plan on stretching my relaxer until I can't stretch anymore (however long that may take). Rollersetting is really helping me stretch. For this particular set, here's what I did...

1) Wash & Condition w/ Elucence Shampoo & Conditioner
2) Apply Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in
3) Apply Elucence Volume Designing Foam
4) Before rolling, I rubbed a bit of 100% unrefined Shea Butter between my fingers and applied it to each section of hair. This final step has been keeping my curls sooooo moisturized.

curls2-th.jpg
curls3-th.jpg

ETA: Excuse the fuzzy pics, I took them with my camera phone while at work. Oh, and the rollers I used were the black medium sized magnetic (w/ snap cover) rollers by Annie.

Last edited:
TSUprincess04 said:
It's my favorite style; that's a reason as to why I'm hesitant to let go of my relaxed hair. Well, now I'm 2 months post and I plan on stretching my relaxer until I can't stretch anymore (however long that may take). Rollersetting is really helping me stretch. For this particular set, here's what I did...

1) Wash & Condition w/ Elucence Shampoo & Conditioner
2) Apply Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in
3) Apply Elucence Volume Designing Foam
4) Before rolling, I rubbed a bit of 100% unrefined Shea Butter between my fingers and applied it to each section of hair. This final step has been keeping my curls sooooo moisturized.

curls2-th.jpg
curls3-th.jpg

ETA: Excuse the fuzzy pics, I took them with my camera phone while at work. Oh, and the rollers I used were the black medium sized magnetic (w/ snap cover) rollers by Annie.

Your hair is gorgeous!!! This is why I'm hesistant to transition as well, but they've allowed me to stretch so long!

BTW, the pics in your signature are gorgeous, you got that swang goin on :grin:

When I was relaxed, I loved them,too. The only thing I hated was that my ends would always come out frizzy, even using the end papers. Since being on this site, I used to get the urge to relax, just to go back to rollersetting.

Thanks everyone.

Bubln, have you ever rollerset your natural hair? I've heard of natural haired ladies doing this, but I wonder if you can get the same effect as with rollersetting on natural hair. That's a big concern of mine....I'd appreciate any responses from you or anyone else willing to answer. :)

TSUprincess04 said:
Thanks everyone.

Bubln, have you ever rollerset your natural hair? I've heard of natural haired ladies doing this, but I wonder if you can get the same effect as with rollersetting on natural hair. That's a big concern of mine....I'd appreciate any responses from you or anyone else willing to answer. :)

Oh yes, I've tried, but it's so time consuming! I find that I have to use smaller rollers and make the sections smaller due to my hair being so textured.

About rollersetting natural hair:

My little sister is natural and I rollerset her hair. It comes out the same exact way as when mine is rollerset, only her roots are more puffy. But a blowdryer or flatiron takes care of that. We're the same exact hair type too, which is probably 4a. She's a little below shoulder length, and I think the key is using small rollers and pulling them tight.

Your rollerset is very pretty.:)
I too love rollersets and continue to rollerset my hair to dry and straighten it out.

Thank you all, and another thanks to Bubln & OneInAMillion for responding to my question about rollersetting Natural hair. I've always wondered that. I'd love to be able to still do rollersets if/when I go natural (one of these days).

ETA: Darn fotki disabled external linking...I guess I gotta post pics on another site so that I could post pics on here with a URL.

Last edited:
Your rollerset looks great! Rollersetting is helping me stretch as well. Question: How do you wear it at night? Do you re-roll it? Wrap it? I don't know how to maintain my curls for very long...

TSU..I looked in your fotki...your rollerset is beautiful...I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice...I bought some pure shea butter just to use on my end, but I never thought about using it when doing rollersets..thanks for the info!

sherylin123 said:
TSU..I looked in your fotki...your rollerset is beautiful...I hope mine comes out 1/2 as nice...I bought some pure shea butter just to use on my end, but I never thought about using it when doing rollersets..thanks for the info!

No problem and thanks. I never thought about using Shea Butter on my rollersets, but I'm glad I did. I noticed that other ladies on this board use some type of moisturizer on their rollersets as well. It doesn't sound like a bad thing to do, and I'm glad I tried it. When I first tried using Shea Butter on wet hair, I had breakage due to me trying to comb through it. That Shea Butter is soooo thick and it caused hairs to stick together and made it difficult to comb through...bad idea. Now I just rub a bit (JUST A BIT) of the shea butter between my fingers and smooth it onto each hair section. It works out a lot better this way and no breakage (even if I run the rattail comb through it one more time).

Camille429 said:
Your rollerset looks great! Rollersetting is helping me stretch as well. Question: How do you wear it at night? Do you re-roll it? Wrap it? I don't know how to maintain my curls for very long...

My sets last for about 2 days (sometimes 3). At night, I don't re-roll my whole head. I only re-roll the curls at the crown of my head, the nape, and the sides. In those areas, the curls are most likely to get SMUSHED while sleeping (my head sweats too). After re-rolling, I wear a silk bonnet that I ordered from tenderheaded.com. I've gotten away sometimes with not re-rolling my curls, but I have to try to sleep in one posisition, preferably with my arms folded in front of me and my cheeks resting on my hands...the only drawback is that I wake up with somewhat of a bruise on my cheek from my knuckles pressing into them while laying on my hands :(

Last edited:
TSUprincess04 said:
My sets last for about 2 days (sometimes 3). At night, I don't re-roll my whole head. I only re-roll the curls at the crown of my head, the nape, and the sides. In those areas, the curls are most likely to get SMUSHED while sleeping (my head sweats too). After re-rolling, I wear a silk bonnet that I ordered from tenderheaded.com. I've gotten away sometimes with not re-rolling my curls, but I have to try to sleep in one posisition, preferably with my arms folded in front of me and my cheeks resting on my hands...the only drawback is that I wake up with somewhat of a bruise on my cheek from my knuckles pressing into them while laying on my hands :(

Haha, anything for beauty. I'm going to try that tonight. I got so many compliments on my curly hair today, I want to try to make this one last. :)

All I want to know is when can I cover over for one of these rollerset TSU!!!
I am like HoneyDew. I havent figured out how to get it work for me yet. Comes out looking a hot mess and a waste of 2 hours. I always end up with BIG hair! I hate big hair.

all you gotta do is detangle well, part neatly, make sure there isn't too much hair covering the roller, and roll. Snap on the cover (or use your pins, clips, etc) and there you have it.

Back