I Left The Salon Mid-Service

I'm glad you stood up for yourself and you handled the situation in a very professional manner. Cudos to you!

It is a good thing you left. When I used to go to the stylist they wouldn't listen or do as instructed. You did the right thing leaving the salon and doing your own hair. :yep:

I'm glad you left... you handled it nicer that I would have...you would stink a stylist would know the proper way to rinse relaxer and handle your hair during the wash properly, so that I won't get tangled....(shaking my head)

Whew, Supergirl!

You lucky you left that salon with any hair!

I've been going to my stylist for several years but once my hair started to get long and thick, he was no longer allowed to comb it out because he doesn't know HOW and I'm not teaching him. Uses plastic combs and all other sorts of no-good styling techniques.

He relaxes me; washes and conditions me; bags me and I'm Audi 5000!

I detangle at home! No one combs my hair but ME!

Most Negroes don't know the first thing about combing long hair, especially WET, and they aren't about to tear and rip my hair out!

You did the right thing bouncin' out that chair!

Good for you! You were polite & tactful...we know our hair better than a stylist do...but of course some stylist think because they have the "license" they know what is best! Way to go...:yep:

I applaud you. So many times I've been in a stylist's chair knowing that I needed to get up & leave but my legs just wouldn't move. But isn't it so sad that there are so many "licensed" stylists out there that really don't have a clue? Not to get too deep but it starts with the State Boards - their standards for becoming licensed is based on what? And then I guess you can't blame it all on them. A stylist has to have sense enough to know that what was learned for their license isn't necessarily what's applicable to real life. People are Mizani certified, Affirm certified, but is anyone "Healthy Black Hair" certified?

That was funny nakia.... SG you are soo tactful and handled the situation like a charm... Im sorry for your experience... So, Im sure your hair turned great when you finished it at home...:yep:

THIS post encouraged me to pay my $5.

I wanted to wait until I bought my digicam to officially introduce myself, take pics of my hair and aggressively pursue my goal of BSL. I’ve been on this site since November of 2006 and I visit it many times a day. I haven’t gone to the salon since I found LHCF and the main rules that work for me are: Do not use direct heat (except for deep conditioning), Condition wash only, clarify with ACV from time to time, Do not blow dry, Deep condition every week, moisturize (still working on finding a moisturize that works well for my fine strands) and only wear protective hairstyles. I have been doing this for one year now.

Just this past weekend I went to a braider who does an excellent job with styling my hair. I almost wanted to C-R-Y this time. She was untangling my hair with a small-toothed comb and I was just noticing my hair RIPPING away. My hair was DRY as a desert and she did not even attempt to wet it, moisturize it or heck, spit in it.

I must admit I had a BAD hair washing/conditioning experience the night before. I bought this new cheapie conditioner from Building 19 here in Mass. and it detangled my hair nicely. Then I decided to sit under the dryer with it on my hair for 15 mns. I proceed to wash out the conditioner and cleanse my scalp at the same time. However, I got really LAZY and wanted to speed up the washing process. So I pulled out a bottle of PANTENE I had sitting around my house for the longest time to do ONE quick wash. My hair was like WTF are you doing to me? and that was all she wrote. I took that bottle and threw it immediately in the trash. My hair was so tangled & dry and no 1, 2, 3 or 4 Ms. Keys was going to do ANYTHING to help it. I tried moisturizing with Blended Beauty’s Butter Me Up and that ish didn’t buttah nuttin’ up.

So when I went to this braider the next am it was a nightmare! I even tried using that sticky mess called Kids Organics Shea butter something and NEVER again will I put it on my natural hair.

Bottom line is I did NOT have the courage to leave, I was VERY upset and I am sure she could tell. I am sure I have tons of exposed and broken hairs underneath these pretty cornrows. This has prompted me to buy some vitamins, increase my BT usage (still trying to finish the first bottle I bought MONTHS ago) and will do tons of moisture treatments and one mild protein treatment when I take these out in 3 weeks. Kudos to you for being polite yet resolute!

I’ve learned throughout the years that nobody else will care about your hair as much as you. Every 3-4 years or so I have a set back like this. I need to put on my big girl panties and just say NO!

Oh I have so many thoughts to share with you ladies!

Whew, Supergirl!

I've been going to my stylist for several years but once my hair started to get long and thick, he was no longer allowed to comb it out because he doesn't know HOW and I'm not teaching him. Uses plastic combs and all other sorts of no-good styling techniques.

Most Negroes don't know the first thing about combing long hair, especially WET, and they aren't about to tear and rip my hair out!

You did the right thing bouncin' out that chair!

Bloss,

I said I was going to start doing that and I think I really am. LOL @ he was not allowed to comb your hair out after it got long. :lol:

JBH, LH1, HaleeJ, and SweetGP,

Thanks for taking time to notice and compliment my hair. :)

Pretty,

Check my profile for my regimen. If it is not detailed enough then feel free to ask for more info. :)

Allandra,

In referring to my other stylist, I left her because we'd had several talks about her combing my hair from the ends up. Even her salon manager told her that would be the best way to comb my hair. My last visit with her, she started combing mid-strand and I asked her to comb it from the ends. She made some comment about it being okay to comb it that way because my hair is in good condition, blah blah blah. I should have left like I did at JCP yesterday, but I let her finish. But I decided not to go back to her. I like the way she does the relaxer, but she is somewhat unprofessional in that she usually doesn't start on time. There were times when I beat her to the salon. I can't spend my money, and full price too, if that's how you're going to be. :nono: I once had a stylist that showed up to the salon late. I was already sitting there. Well, she knocked $20 of the bill without me having to say a thing. She was professional. But, she was bossy and scissor happy!

Hi Taino, :wave:

Welcome to the board. I'm glad you were inspired to join us. :) I'm sorry for your bad hair experience. I believe most of us have had at least one at one time or another. I agree about the Kids Organics Shea Butter "sticky mess." A lot of people here like it, but it did not work for me. It was "sticky mess" just as you called it.

Gn1g,

When I got home, I shampooed and conditioned again and I detangled my hair under the shower head as I normally do. When I got out, I didn't towel dry. I applied leave-in and combed through gently in about 6 sections. Then I sat under my hooded dryer until about 60% dry. I bunned my hair and today I have nice, large waves.

Well sounds like it went down without any hostility and you were polite so that's good. We can be protective of our hair and still maintain our self-respect. :yep:

Chayil

I really think some stylists just don't know any better. They treat every head of hair (regardless of length or texture) the same way and that's ridiculous. :wallbash:

I don't wash my sweats the same way I wash my lingerie! So why should stylists treat every head of hair the same way?! Nerves...gettin' on mine!

Whew, Supergirl!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
this made me laugh

PS -WAY To go !

I tried a new stylist today at JCP. I had a consultation with her a couple of weeks ago and she was just lovely and seemed to really know her stuff. She talked as if working with long hair was something she was accustomed to.

She expertly applied my relaxer, but I noticed she didn't seem to rinse the nape area well. She didn't really lift my head up to do it, so I reminded her.

The problem started on the comb out. She used a wide tooth comb and I thought that was great, but she was really rough with it. She kept talking about my hair being so tangled. This was something we discussed at the consultation. I told her that many stylists say that my hair is tangled after we leave the wash bowl, and I told her I don't have that problem at home. I told her that the issue really is with how the hair is handled during the shampoo and conditioning. If you ball it up or rough it up, yes it's going to tangle--that's what hair does, especially hair this length. Too many are used to dealing with clients with short to average length hair and it's easier to keep those lengths from tangling.

After the comb out, I felt my hair and it was still very tangled. I knew that once we got to the styling phase, I would lose a lot of hair with it still being that tangled. I did not want her to continue her rough detangling either. So, I told her that it was too tangled and that I am very protective of my hair and that I would just like to pay her and go home and finish it up. I tried to be as polite and tactful as possible.

She was very nice and seemed kind of hurt, which I hated. She asked if she'd done anything wrong or if there was something else she could do. I told her that I would just feel much better going home and finishing it up myself.

So that was that.

Ever since I read this post it has been resonating in my head. I too can't stand when they are rough while combing my hair during the rinse. I feel like they are ripping out my hair. :angry2: Have tried going to a Dominican salon? At least they are used to dealing with very long hair.

Good for you. Your hair probably thanks you as well. Well at least she asked what she did wrong. and you were very nice about it.

I agree wholeheartedly with everyone else:yep:
You didn't cuss her out or anything,even though you had a right to.
Good job lady!!!

I tried a new stylist today at JCP. I had a consultation with her a couple of weeks ago and she was just lovely and seemed to really know her stuff. She talked as if working with long hair was something she was accustomed to.

She expertly applied my relaxer, but I noticed she didn't seem to rinse the nape area well. She didn't really lift my head up to do it, so I reminded her.

The problem started on the comb out. She used a wide tooth comb and I thought that was great, but she was really rough with it. She kept talking about my hair being so tangled. This was something we discussed at the consultation. I told her that many stylists say that my hair is tangled after we leave the wash bowl, and I told her I don't have that problem at home. I told her that the issue really is with how the hair is handled during the shampoo and conditioning. If you ball it up or rough it up, yes it's going to tangle--that's what hair does, especially hair this length. Too many are used to dealing with clients with short to average length hair and it's easier to keep those lengths from tangling.

After the comb out, I felt my hair and it was still very tangled. I knew that once we got to the styling phase, I would lose a lot of hair with it still being that tangled. I did not want her to continue her rough detangling either. So, I told her that it was too tangled and that I am very protective of my hair and that I would just like to pay her and go home and finish it up. I tried to be as polite and tactful as possible.

She was very nice and seemed kind of hurt, which I hated. She asked if she'd done anything wrong or if there was something else she could do. I told her that I would just feel much better going home and finishing it up myself.

So that was that.

You did the right thing and made sure you got out there before it was too late. I find it encouraging. I agree with that a lot of black stylists aren't used to working with long hair at all.

Supergirl, ur my hero! I'm so proud of u, that u handled it that way! I dunno if i could be so brave! Why don't stylists understand these simple concepts that we know here?:rolleyes: Losing a ton of hair everytime u detangle is not normal:rolleyes:

See, that is EXACTLY why I haven't been to a salon in a year and a half. Everytime I go, they ball up my hair in the shampoo sink and don't comb through the conditioner. Then they have the nerve to tell me to relax my hair so it would be easier on them. When the fact is that I don't have a problem at all at home with my hair b/c I don't ball it on my head and I comb the conditioner through. Aren't these people supposed to be professionals? I don't understand why they don't take care and patience with people's hair.

I'm sorry you went through that, Supergirl. I applaud you for walking out.

Back