I just wanna cut and start over again.

MrJohnsonsRib

I have be tempted to cut and start over with my natural journey. Between the time it takes to maintain it because I have no speed or time saving tricks that are not damaging and because I am limited in styling and wearing options because of my military uniform requirements. No bulk more than 3", can't touch eyerows, cannot be faddish, cannot fall below the collarline. most people wear the sock bun which the military has made me grow to not love so much (lol!) I have a lot of junk product, well product that doesn't seem to work, but are staples for other people.

I keep reading SistaSlick's breakage 101, but I just feel unsure of what to do. I think I need moisture but I think my hair is porous . I think I am 4A but my crown is a looser wave pattern than the rest so it's longer and easier to work with. My hair has grown, but it's breaking probably due to poor detangling (anyone know of a perfect detangler?) and wearing two pigtail buns everyday . I used to twist but it takes forever...and the shedded hair will get matted if I try to stretch the style more than a week (detangling hell).

I live in Nebraska now and wanted to try activator. It made my hair soft in Florida this past March when I first tried it during vacation. In Nebraska, not so much. I even tried doing an ACV rinse and it worked okay...and I have flat ironed/ hot combed it a couple times to try and mock the way my mom did my hair when it thrived but it's still not good enough. I just wanna cut it and start over because it is split and the cuticles are rough.

Sorry for the rant but I am just exhausted from trying to make my hair healthy. Nevermind the length I just need it to be manageable and not in my sink and tub. :(

Before considering cutting, I honestly would put it away for a couple weeks. I know exactly how you feel and I was at that point about 5 times. Each time I got to that point, I braided my hair in synthetic braids to keep from making a drastic move that I may regret.

Honestly, I've always been natural and it is not until the last 3 years that I've come to accept my hair and roll with the trials and tribulations. I've learned to stop fighting it and embrace it.

It may be that you just have not found the right products yet. It took me for ever to find what my hair likes and what makes it respond well. You may still be there.

Keep at it!

::hugs::

Thank you so much. I have been thinking about kinky twists since I am learning to do braids. I been at this for 2 1/2 years now and it's grown a lot but I figured it was by a miracle. Lol! I will try and put it away. I do want a new wig, preferably short enough to wear in uniform on those days I don't wanna do maintenance.

I've been at this point too... Don't do it. Wait until your hair is at what you define as a great point and if you still feel you should start over do it with a clear mind.
If you wash your hair and it feels mushy you may need protein try something medium or light like aubrey organics gpb (medium) or bga (light). If its dry and crunchy when water hits it try moisture aubrey organics honeysuckle rose or bear fruit hair shea coconut aloe. I agree with putting it up in a style for a while. I'm about to do the same thing lol cause I'm at the same point but after a while you get use to it happening and know how to cope.

Thanks. It's just good to know I am not the only one who felt like they were at a HHJ standstill. Silentullip, Where can I find the Aubrey Organics? Is it comparable to the Trader Joe's hair care line? I was curious because I am "near" a Whole Foods and I have been getting some long coveted things from them BUT one day when leaving Whole Foods I noticed a Trader Joe's down the street. :) I heard some good things about their stuff. I like the idea of getting these Aubrey Organics and other natural ingredient products. Last thing I need is chemical buildup from crappy fillers. Now that I think of it...the Triple Moisture Mask is the last thing I remember giving me some soft hair...but I was wondering if it was because of silicones coating it giving me the silky feeling illusion. Could that be true anyone? Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement.

Hi Guitarhero, for a deep conditioner for someone with dry hair with rough cuticles what would you suggest conditioning with and how long would be good for thick neck length hair to let it sit? Tulip suggested Aubrey organics. Would that be something to try in your opinion? All responses appreciated. :)

I just wanted to cut because I began to feel like my length could not be saved from all the roughness, dryness, the one strand knots and my impatience because it is so rough.

Last edited:
I agree with WestIndBeauty. Try putting your hair away for a few weeks
With regard to a detangling, I’d highly recommend Africa’s Best kids detangling moisturizer. It’s unbelievable what that stuff would do for your hair! Hang tight
:bighug:

Back