I just had a flashback about a salon exp.

NubianAngel

Reading NayNay's thread about her trim made me have a flashback. Back when I was relaxed at about 15, I really wanted longer hair, so I hated trims. They always seem to take off too much for my satisfaction. Well, one day the salon owner was getting her hair done by her employees. She was speaking and spanish and I didnt understand her words, but by her motions it was obvious that she only wanted a little bit trimmed off. So, she had her employee actually keep the clippings from her trim in her hand, and show her how much she was taking off as she went along. This made me think....*Why is it that she can obviously understand the concept of trying to retain both optimum health and length, yet not care about when her own customers are trying to do the same? /images/graemlins/confused.gif* I had been a victim of bad trims too. My first trim they gave me, and i went from having hair below my shoulders to neck lenth. Now, I know my hair wasnt that damaged b/c the relaxer was done on virgin hair. It was just uneven, but at the time it didnt occur to me to indicate that i did NOT need a blunt cut.

My point is that stylists (obviously) arent always treating our hair the way they want their own hair to be treated. Kudos to you ladies that have perfected your own home trims. I think that I will keep practicing with my hair so that I can perfect my own haircare /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just wanted to add in my observation about home trims:

When my hair was blunt cut it was VERY easy for me to trim it myself.

Now that I have these funky layers, it is extremely difficult to trim without losing length (soooo many different lengths going on...!) /images/graemlins/mad.gif

So, my feeling is that if you want to trim at home, your hair should be all one length or (just slightly longer in the back if that is your taste).

Just my 2 cents.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
....*Why is it that she can obviously understand the concept of trying to retain both optimum health and length

[/ QUOTE ]

Now these stylists that HACK off so much hair, don't they know that you're not going to go back. I would much prefer my clients have long, healthy hair, you'd get more recommendations and a good reputation = more money.

Thanks NubianAngel and YOU speak the truth! We need to learn to do our own hair. I think I have 2 layers cut in my hair but I am VERY chidken /images/graemlins/shocked.gif to try to cut it myself.....maybe I will buy a book!

In the past when I've wanted just a "trim", I would usually go to Great Clips. They are trained to take off only as much as the client wants. They are very conservative when it comes to cutting hair. I know lots of people that maintain their own hair at home and just go to Great Clips for a trim....

LondonDiva said:
....*Why is it that she can obviously understand the concept of trying to retain both optimum health and length

[/ QUOTE ]

Now these stylists that HACK off so much hair, don't they know that you're not going to go back. I would much prefer my clients have long, healthy hair, you'd get more recommendations and a good reputation = more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would think that that would be enough incentive, but sadly some stylists are only interested in fast money. Assisting a client to (slowly) growing healthy hair so that they might eventually get more clients takes a lot more time than treating and maintaining short, damaged hair (more visits=more money)

Back