I Just Did My Own Trim, Very Pleased with Results

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yes, I know I had a trim just 3 weeks ago but I could no longer stand to look at my (now former) hairstylists' lopsided faux pas. I think I'll be doing my own trims from now on, regardless of who my stylist is.

I only had to take off about an inch.

I used Feye's Self Trimming Method. I think many of the old heads are familiar with it, but for anyone who isn't:

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Congrats! I started self-trimming last year, and I haven't looked back! Once you realize that you can do it just as well (or better) than the stylist, you NEVER wanna risk them jackin' it up or having to pay them to do it. For the price of a trim, I could buy a pair of shears.

I use the same method you use, and it works great!! :up:

Hey DI,

Do you have a recommendation on a good, quality pair of sheers? The ones I have are Sheer Glory stainless steel from Sally's. They were only $14, so I'm imagining that these are not the cream of the crop.

Mine are Goody and cost about $15. They're super sharp, and they don't perpetuate splits. From my observations, stainless steel shears that are sharp and only used for hair do the trick just as well as pricier, salon versions. I've heard good things about the Tweezerman shears, but I plan to stick with the Goody shears until they need sharpening or if I catch another brand on sale.

Divine Inspiration said:
Mine are Goody and cost about $15. They're super sharp, and they don't perpetuate splits. From my observations, stainless steel shears that are sharp and only used for hair do the trick just as well as pricier, salon versions. I've heard good things about the Tweezerman shears, but I plan to stick with the Goody shears until they need sharpening or if I catch another brand on sale.
Congrats Supergirl on self-trimming!
This is what I soon intend to do...
I'm also looking for a better pair of shears, that is inexpensive...Where did you purchase yours DI?

Lady_Lioness said:
Congrats Supergirl on self-trimming!
This is what I soon intend to do...
I'm also looking for a better pair of shears, that is inexpensive...Where did you purchase yours DI?

I got mine from Rite Aid. Sally's also seems to have a really great selection for reasonable prices.

OT: Your hair is lookin' good girl!! Congrats on BSL!

Another great thread on taking care of your own hair! I'm glad to see that you're feeling confident with your own trims, Supergirl. Oh by the way, How ya doing?? :)

I'm working on getting better with my own trims, too.

Divine Inspiration said:
I got mine from Rite Aid. Sally's also seems to have a really great selection for reasonable prices.

OT: Your hair is lookin' good girl!! Congrats on BSL!
Great!
Thanx alot for both the info and compliment!
Now, you already know how I feel about your hair...:love: it.

hairlove said:
Another great thread on taking care of your own hair! I'm glad to see that you're feeling confident with your own trims, Supergirl. Oh by the way, How ya doing?? :)

I'm working on getting better with my own trims, too.

Hi Hairlove,

I'm doing good--hope you are too! Long time no "see." :)

Congratulations on your self-trimming. I have some shears that are supposed to be good that I bought at Sally's (still brand new), just prior to LHCF. Thanks for sharing the link too!

Back