I haven't posted in a while, but my hair is growing!

NuMe2004

Hi ladies,

I've been a member of LHCF for a few years now, but I haven't posted anything in a while. I really want to focus on growing my hair to my waist, so I decided to jump back in the swing of things.

My hair has been through a lot! It broke off severely in 2001 due to a bad dye job. I finally decided to stop relaxing it in 2003, so I'm all natural now and loving it! I can wear my hair curly when I want to and straight when I want to. Since my hair broke off in layers, I've had a tough time waiting for the ends to catch up and my hair to not look so thin.

Anywayz, I'm inviting you guys to visit my album (http://public.fotki.com/hair2004) so that you can share in my journey.

I look forward to sharing tips and progress reports with you!

Hey your progress looks great. Did you relax your hair again or is that just a really good straightening job. The texture of your hair looks really nice too. Keep up the great work.

Your hair looks beautiful... I love your curls and it looks good straight too!!:) Welcome back.

:up:Your hair looks beautiful and soo healthy !
So, you used olive oil moisturizer to moisturize your flat ironed hair ? does it reverted?
I would like to know if i can use it too, when my hair is straightened!
If it doesn't reverted can you list me the 4 or five top ingredients of your olive oil jar please? Thank you lady:) !

TemiLnd said:
Hey your progress looks great. Did you relax your hair again or is that just a really good straightening job. The texture of your hair looks really nice too. Keep up the great work.

Hi TemiLnd,

Thanks for your comments! No, I have not relaxed since 2003 and I don't plan to. My hair can get really straight with the flat iron, so that's the route I've chosen to go in.

soun said:
:up:Your hair looks beautiful and soo healthy !
So, you used olive oil moisturizer to moisturize your flat ironed hair ? does it reverted?
I would like to know if i can use it too, when my hair is straightened!
If it doesn't reverted can you list me the 4 or five top ingredients of your olive oil jar please? Thank you lady:) !

Hey there Soun!

Thanks for your comments. To answer your questions, my hair doesn't revert when I put moisturizer in it. BUT, I only use a dime size amount. It took me a long time to get to the point where I wasn't slathering on tons of moisturizer. A dime size amount is all I need before I wrap my hair at night to fight the dryness incurred during the day.

I use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Mosturizing Lotion. It comes in a green bottle and the top five ingredients are: water, coconut oil, sorbitol, peanut oil, and castor oil.

I hope this helps! Take care :).

Hey ladies,

Sorry I'm replying so late, but I just want to say thanks to all of you for your kind, encouraging words. It's great to be back!

NuMe2004 said:
Hi TemiLnd,

Thanks for your comments! No, I have not relaxed since 2003 and I don't plan to. My hair can get really straight with the flat iron, so that's the route I've chosen to go in.

FYI, you're going to get myriad messages asking what flat iron you use and if you're indeed natural. I'm just warning you. :lol: I'm curious, what flat iron do you use. It looks like a job my ol faithful would do!! :lol:

WhipEffectz1 said:
FYI, you're going to get myriad messages asking what flat iron you use and if you're indeed natural. I'm just warning you. :lol: I'm curious, what flat iron do you use. It looks like a job my ol faithful would do!! :lol:

Hey there,

My avatar pic shows my hair after it was straightened at the shop. The stylist used a typical stove flat iron. That pic was taken about a month ago, and that was the first time in a long time (about a year actually) since I've been to a shop.

Most of the time I flat iron my hair at home with a jilbere ceramic flat iron. I put a little Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Mosturizing Hair Lotion in it after I wash/condition, then blow dry it out with this great Ion ceramic blow dryer that came highly recommended to me by a CSR at Sally's Beauty Supply. Attached is a pic of when I do it myself. This was taken in Dec of last year. As you can see, the stylist trimmed my hair and cut off my tapered tail :(. I needed it though.

BTW, thanks for the warning! However, people should be able to tell by my curly photo in my fotki album that I am indeed all natural...with the exception of a few red highlights in the front!

Attachments

• Hair pics_LHCF.jpg
    Hair pics_LHCF.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5
NuMe2004 said:
Hey there,

My avatar pic shows my hair after it was straightened at the shop. The stylist used a typical stove flat iron. That pic was taken about a month ago, and that was the first time in a long time (about a year actually) since I've been to a shop.

Most of the time I flat iron my hair at home with a jilbere ceramic flat iron. I put a little Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Mosturizing Hair Lotion in it after I wash/condition, then blow dry it out with this great Ion ceramic blow dryer that came highly recommended to me by a CSR at Sally's Beauty Supply. Attached is a pic of when I do it myself. This was taken in Dec of last year. As you can see, the stylist trimmed my hair and cut off my tapered tail :(. I needed it though.

BTW, thanks for the warning! However, people should be able to tell by my curly photo in my fotki album that I am indeed all natural...with the exception of a few red highlights in the front!

That won't stop them!!! :lol: Your hair looks great. Keep up the good work with all of that nice looking natural hair!!!!

Your hair looks very thick and healthy and the texture of your hair looks like you have a relaxer. Great Progress keep it up!:)

Great progress and your hair looks great. I do have a few questions, how often do you use heat and how long did your transition take? Did you just gradually cut your relax ends off and how much did you trim at one time? Sorry if these are too many ?s.

honey4real said:
Your hair looks very thick and healthy and the texture of your hair looks like you have a relaxer. Great Progress keep it up!:)

Thanks honey4real! Your hair is looong and gorgeous too!

leleepop said:
Great progress and your hair looks great. I do have a few questions, how often do you use heat and how long did your transition take? Did you just gradually cut your relax ends off and how much did you trim at one time? Sorry if these are too many ?s.

Thanks leleepop. I don't mind answering your questions :).

I only apply heat to my hair once a week at most. When it's straight, I am careful not to apply anymore heat on it until I'm ready to wash and flat iron it again. However, I have noticed that my hair has been dryer now that I've been flat ironing on a weekly basis, so periodically (like now) I will take a break for a few weeks and wear it curly.

Overall, I'd say that my transition took about 2 years. My hair broke off badly around 2001 because I was relaxing at the time and decided to put blond streaks in it. VERY BAD IDEA! I experienced a lot of breakage so when I cut it to my shoulders, it wasn't that devastating because most of the length had already been lost! I didn't chop my hair all off though. I simply trimmed it regularly until it grew out.

NuMe2004 said:
Thanks leleepop. I don't mind answering your questions :).

I only apply heat to my hair once a week at most. When it's straight, I am careful not to apply anymore heat on it until I'm ready to wash and flat iron it again. However, I have noticed that my hair has been dryer now that I've been flat ironing on a weekly basis, so periodically (like now) I will take a break for a few weeks and wear it curly.

Overall, I'd say that my transition took about 2 years. My hair broke off badly around 2001 because I was relaxing at the time and decided to put blond streaks in it. VERY BAD IDEA! I experienced a lot of breakage so when I cut it to my shoulders, it wasn't that devastating because most of the length had already been lost! I didn't chop my hair all off though. I simply trimmed it regularly until it grew out.
Thanks this is what I'm trying to do. I have been doing big trims since November. I decided to cut a couple of inches in January, but it has grown back to less than a half and inch to armpit so I dont want to just cut it all off. I have been doing pretty good and I am careful with the detangling. I am seven months post.

Back