I have tried...

growingbrown

Moisture products and protein on my hair and I am still getting breakage. Why :( . I dont know what else to do. Also I have noticed a couple strange strands of hair that has a bulb at the end. The strand looks like a light brown fine thick piece of hair :eek: . Does anyone have any suggestion on anything?

Thanks

What specifically is your regimen? What products are you using?

If your hairs have bulbs at the end its probably shedding rather than breakage.

Aalize said:
What specifically is your regimen? What products are you using?

If your hairs have bulbs at the end its probably shedding rather than breakage.

I wash with NTM or Kerma Kare Hydrating shampoo and condition with NTM. I deep condition with DRP 11. I air dry in ponytail with NTM leave in or Elasta Mango butter. I also use Surge Plus 14.

I have bulbs at the end and medium to short hairs without bulbs.

I get this when it is time for a trim. When I need a trim, my hair seems to tangle more and I get breakage.

HoneyDew said:
I get this when it is time for a trim. When I need a trim, my hair seems to tangle more and I get breakage.

I just trimmed my hair when I did my touch up 3 weeks ago. Yet still I get breakage.

growingbrown said:
I wash with NTM or Kerma Kare Hydrating shampoo and condition with NTM. I deep condition with DRP 11. I air dry in ponytail with NTM leave in or Elasta Mango butter. I also use Surge Plus 14.

I have bulbs at the end and medium to short hairs without bulbs.

When you see this breakage (not the shedding with the bulbs at the end) are combing your airdried hair???

That might be your problem. In general a lot of us can't comb our airdried hair because it doesn't always dry completely smoothly and if you comb that you are sure to have some breakage.

HTH

Maybe the Surge has too much protein for your hair. Try discontinuing it for a while and replace it with a non-protein moisturizer.

RabiaElaine said:
When you see this breakage (not the shedding with the bulbs at the end) are combing your airdried hair???

That might be your problem. In general a lot of us can't comb our airdried hair because it doesn't always dry completely smoothly and if you comb that you are sure to have some breakage.

HTH

This is exactly what I did. I comb my air dried hair and wow, that was a lot of breakage. When it is air dried, should I just leave it alone?

Shine-On said:
I see you are on the C&G challenge. Did you recently remove extensions?

I removed my braids over a month ago because I had to get a touch up. I will be in them next week for another 2 months. I am not sure what style I will get but I will have them

growingbrown said:
This is exactly what I did. I comb my air dried hair and wow, that was a lot of breakage. When it is air dried, should I just leave it alone?

You sure should! Like Rubia said, combing airdried hair is a no-no.:( I dont comb anything unless its wet or dry and completely straightened. Additionally, I also think you have alot of protein in your regimen. The Mango butter contains protein and so does Surge. I think you might want to ease up on the protein heavy products for a couple of weeks until the heavy breakage subsides. Concentrate on moisturizing.:)

Protein is not for everone, I cut 6" in Dec. '05 because I was using protein treatment. So try not using protein for a while and see if you notice a difference.

Thanks for all the help. Could anyone recommend more moisturizing products that I could use that do not have protein?

Okay. I was having the absolute same problem then I used Candy_C's homemade avocado protein treatment and I have had NO SHEDDING whatsoever in the past two months. Nothing.

I recommend the treatment. Take a small ripe HASS avocado (set it out for like two days to get it really soft) and mash it really good. Then mix in a 1/2 cup of EVOO. Then add one egg and put the mixture on your hair for 20-30 minutes.

When I did the treatment I left in on all night long and I mean WOW what a difference this made. My hair had been shedding for almost two months and I even went out and brought this expensive hair mask from Ojon when all I really needed was my local grocery store.

HTH

I'm sure you know the most moisturizing product is cheap and free, WATER. Try putting water is a spray bottle and spritzing the hair throughout the day. Also, Aveda is a great product that I love.

Back