I Have Pure Shea Butter ... What Do I DO With It??

ladymadonna

My natural sistas I need your help again. I have an expensive jar of pure shea butter that's been lying on my vanity because I'm afraid to put it in my hair! I know it melts when warm but will I end up with dried shea butter crusts in my hair after I apply it?

Does anyone have any good hair butter recipes?

Re: I Have Pure Shea Butter ... What Do I DO With

lol you should of seen me goop that stuff on my hair my first time using it , i had no clue the heavines of it and the richness of it. lol my hair was all stuck and gooped together..... it was the unrefined kind and the kind i had wasnt hard, just kinda whipped and gooky. if you have that kind im sure you can cut it (mix it) with oil , any oil, and use it sparingly. if you have the hard kind then i guess you have to melt it down and add oils.

If you're worried about possible build up, you can always mix it with carrier oils - olive, almond, etc. - to kinda thin it out.

I always work butters inbetween my hands for a little bit to avoid any accidental "streaks" of product in my hair.

You can use shea as a daily hair dressing, as part of a deep conditioning treatment; girl, you've got options with that butter ! ! !
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ladymadonna said:
IRIS!!!! Is that you??? It's Kim from your Yahoo Group!

[/ QUOTE ]
Tee Hee Hee , its me
smile.gif
Hey Gurl!!!!!
you recognized me from the Shea butter incident? what gave me away?
laugh.gif

Melt it in the microwave and add some olive oil to it, let it set, that way it's a little more spreadable. How expensive was your shea butter, I didn't pay too much for mine(via ebay)?

I purchased it at a health food store for $9! It's been sitting on the shelf since. Thanks for the olive oil suggestion.

[ QUOTE ]
oglorious1 said:
Melt it in the microwave and add some olive oil to it, let it set, that way it's a little more spreadable. How expensive was your shea butter, I didn't pay too much for mine(via ebay)?

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> </font>

I bought two pounds of it for $20.00 from ebay(unrefined), it works great and doesn't smell stinky like most unrefined shea butters.

I just take about a dime sized amount and rub it between my hands so it melts. Then I apply it to the length of my hair.

I am not natural but... I had some 100% Shea butter that I mixed w/ a few drops of rosemary oil. I really liked it. My mom and sister took it. They loved it too. I microwaved mine and my mom and sister just rubbed theirs in.

SInging "Pookey,Pookeyloo,where are you? We have a question about shea butter."

Back