I have henna in my hair NOW... need help...

Nkiru

Hi Ladies,

I have a henna mix in my hair now and have a quick question. Here are the ingredients in my mix:
-henna
-alma
-ground coffee
-olive oil
My question is, how long should should I leave the mix in my hair? Please advise asap.

Thanks a bunch,

henna can be left in your hair up to over night.

you are gonna have a HECK of a time rinsing that ground coffee outta you hair, though.

BUT you're gonna :love: henna!

good luck!

Oops, I meant to say I brewed the ground coffee and used the coffee instead of water. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

Good thing you are not relaxing your hair.

According to the henna threads and websites, you can leave it on for as little or as long as you want. It depends on why you are hennaing in the first place.

Is it for color?
Did you let it develop/release?
If so, how long?

Most people leave it in for a few hours then DC.
Here are some resources:

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hennahow.pdf

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=253889

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=87256&highlight=henna

Suggestion: in the future, your hair's health, ask for help before you do something to it not while you are doing something to it.

Yes, I mixed the henna up around 11:30pm last night, covered it with saran wrap and let it sit in my garage. I clarified my hair at 10 am this morning . I have had the henna on my hair since 10:30 am with a plastic cap. I plan to condition with the ORS replenishing pak w/heat after rinsing the henna out.

I am using henna for both color and conditioning properties. I am a bit anxious about the results and wondering if the color is going to come out right (fingers crossed). I used the Jamila brand henna, brewed coffee and olive oil. To my surprise, the smell was not bad at all. My mix did not smell like hay at all. Maybe because the coffee was french vanilla. Mixing it was not messy at all. Yep, this is my first henna treatment.

I used a bit of the amla powder in my conditioner last week and was impressed with the results of the amla powder. Thanks for the links. I will continue to read until I wash the henna out.

Just to clear up any confusions, trust and believe I have done thorough research prior to putting the henna in my hair. I had originally planned, to leave the henna on for 3 hours.

Again, I brewed the coffee and did not use coffee granules in the mix. Sitting here, getting a lil' anxious I began wondering if 3 hours was long enough to achieve the darker color that I want.

I am just in waiting mode and decided if I should change my plans at the last minute and go longer than 3 hours. Now, I know... just stick to the original plan. Two hours down and 1 to go.

Maybe the title is what is misleading to people. But nevertheless, thanks for answering my question.

Check www.curlynikki.com... She puts hers on and leaves it in like 12 hours to get the dye to release.

According to www.hennaforhair.com, you mix the henna in a plastic/glass bowl (use a plastic spoon, not metal to mix) with an acid (ACV, lemon juice, lime juice, OJ) till its like mashed taters, then let sit on the counter overnight wrapped in plastic wrap. Sittin it out overnight with the acid is what releases the dye. 8 hours or so.

Then put the paste in your hair and let it sit 3-4 hours. I have done it as long as 6-9 hours before. But as long as your dye is released then 3-4 hours in the hair. If the dye isn't released yet, then way longer (as curly nikki does)... she mixes it and puts it on her head right away and waits the 12 hours to rinse (overnight)

I don't mix my henna with acids. I think that was meant for people with really oily hair because when i tried it with lemon juice my hair was so dry and tangled. Now I use water and put it in a warm place for sometimes 8 hours. I have no problem with dye releasing without acids.

I don't mix my henna with acids. I think that was meant for people with really oily hair because when i tried it with lemon juice my hair was so dry and tangled. Now I use water and put it in a warm place for sometimes 8 hours. I have no problem with dye releasing without acids.

You're right, you don't have to mix henna with acids to get dye release. As long as it's good henna the dye will release anyway (that's what Catherine at hennaforhair.com said). And the acids tend to dry people's hair out, that's why they end up having to do marathon DC's just to counteract it.

Thanks for pointing that out.. I have heard that too but haven't tried it yet. I did ACV the last time... prior to that I always did lemon juice. I need to try just the water.

Check www.curlynikki.com... She puts hers on and leaves it in like 12 hours to get the dye to release.

According to www.hennaforhair.com, you mix the henna in a plastic/glass bowl (use a plastic spoon, not metal to mix) with an acid (ACV, lemon juice, lime juice, OJ) till its like mashed taters, then let sit on the counter overnight wrapped in plastic wrap. Sittin it out overnight with the acid is what releases the dye. 8 hours or so.

Then put the paste in your hair and let it sit 3-4 hours. I have done it as long as 6-9 hours before. But as long as your dye is released then 3-4 hours in the hair. If the dye isn't released yet, then way longer (as curly nikki does)... she mixes it and puts it on her head right away and waits the 12 hours to rinse (overnight)

quick question?!? what wrong with mixing it with a metal spoon... I did that today and I have it sitting in my head right now.. first time doing henna so if there a specific reason.. please tell.. is it some chemical reaction or something?:blush::perplexed

This is good to know.

I always use acv but now I will just use hot coffee to tone down the red/copper of the henna.

Thanx!!!

The hennaforhair henna e-book indicated to not use a metal spoon. I can't remember specifically why..something about the metal & the dye? Can't remember..check that e-book out :)

Back