I have found the PERFECT non protein moisturizer, but

SelfStyled

it is a body cream:blush::blush:

I have tried 50-11 moisturizers with out being really won over by anything. The closest I came for a creamy moistuirizer was a combo of Profective Break free+Profective growth lotion.

This past weekend Ella started a thread about using Bath and Body Works body creams as hair moisturizers, well my pj self was too lazy to go to the mall. So my pj self went to Target to see if I could find a suitable body cream that had some good ingredients.

What I discovered was Alba Kukui Nut body cream. When I opened the jar I almost passed out cause this cream smelled that good. I really didn't know if I could actually use a body cream on my hair. I put a dab of the cream on my skin, and put the cream in my basket. I wanted to finish shopping/thinking if I would really use a body cream on my hair. By the time I had finshed shopping that smell wore me down. And I bought it:yep:.

It cost 13.99 for 6.5 oz tub. I think it is a great price because it really has quality ingredients. Here are the ingredients:
Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadenis leaf juice, caprylic/capric triglyceride, safflower seed oil, stearic acid, vegetably glycerin, glyceryl stearate, glyceryl alcohol, shea butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, extracts of kukui seed, vanilla fruit, cucumber fruit, arnica montana flower and anacylus pyrethrum root, kukui seed oil, macadamia seed oil, cocoa seed butter, beta carotene, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexyglycerin, potassium, sorbate, vitamin e, carbomer, caramel and fragrance.

If its safe enough for my skin, then it shoud be safe enough for my hair:rolleyes:. That's my story and I am stickin with it.

I have used this daily since Saturday and it leaves my hair moisturized for the entire day.

Here is a pic, I am new to posting pictures, so I will apologize upfront for the size of this picture. I tried to resize, not sure what happened.

2008Products004.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Iiiiiiiiinnnnnnnteresting.

I've heard of this, before - using body lotions for the hair. Hrrrrm. Most interesting.

Welcome to the club! I know myself and many other ladies use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion. Sometimes hair products just do not cut it. Glad you found something that works for you!

I read that post, BBW is what she mentioned. I have a few but haven't tried any yet. I keep forgetting.

I believe it.:yep: Especially if it's natural. If the ingredients are no different than the ones in your hair moisturizers, then why not? Marketing, marketing, marketing. They have to be able to sell the same thing 500 different ways in order to make money. This may not be true for everything, but I do believe it's true for the majority of products.:look:

thanks for sharing this. I am going to try this out b/c the aloe vera and lecithin mixture did not work at all :nono:. I am going to target today and will pick this up.

Welcome to the club! I know myself and many other ladies use Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion. Sometimes hair products just do not cut it. Glad you found something that works for you!

It was that thread specifically that encouraged me to try it, plus Ella's thread this weekend.

I read that post, BBW is what she mentioned. I have a few but haven't tried any yet. I keep forgetting.

Try it Eisani, I am sure your hair will thank you!

I believe it.:yep: Especially if it's natural. If the ingredients are no different than the ones in your hair moisturizers, then why not? Marketing, marketing, marketing. They have to be able to sell the same thing 500 different ways in order to make money. This may not be true for everything, but I do believe it's true for the majority of products.:look:
You are so right about Marketing. I just became so frustrated with trying to find a decent creamy moisturizer. Why would that be so hard? Last week when I was in the BSS, i just got so frustrated. Manufacturers listen up - if the 1st ingredient is mineral oil, and the 2nd ingredient is petrolatum- guess what? That is not a moisturizer!:lachen:

Thanks for the resize!!! I love you ladies:yep:.

thanks for sharing this. I am going to try this out b/c the aloe vera and lecithin mixture did not work at all :nono:. I am going to target today and will pick this up.
Girl you are more than welcome! If it can help my dry thirsty hair it should be able to help any one.

Don't give up on the avj yet. For misting puprposes, I use a mixture of braid spray+1/3 aloe vera juice. Good luck, I hope you can find the Kukui Cream.

Girl you are more than welcome! If it can help my dry thirsty hair it should be able to help any one.

Don't give up on the avj yet. For misting puprposes, I use a mixture of braid spray+1/3 aloe vera juice. Good luck, I hope you can find the Kukui Cream.

thanks sweetie. I hope this works for me b/c I am tried of buy/returning products that don't work all the time.

I am willing to give it a try. I am still in the beginning phases of this, so currently I am a PJ, hoping to finally discover my staples soon. It gets too expensive, and I am tired of hiding stuff from my DH.:grin:

I too have had the hardest time finding the right balanced moisturizer. I will get some that work at first, quenching my dry hair, and then all of sudden it no longer works. I always read the ingredients first, looking for the forbiddens: petroleum and mineral oil, and little to preferably NO Alochol.

I am trying to convince my family to be more observant w/ purchasing hair products.

Thanks for sharing.

I am willing to give it a try. I am still in the beginning phases of this, so currently I am a PJ, hoping to finally discover my staples soon. It gets too expensive, and I am tired of hiding stuff from my DH.:grin:

I too have had the hardest time finding the right balanced moisturizer. I will get some that work at first, quenching my dry hair, and then all of sudden it no longer works. I always read the ingredients first, looking for the forbiddens: petroleum and mineral oil, and little to preferably NO Alochol.

I am trying to convince my family to be more observant w/ purchasing hair products.

Thanks for sharing.

I hope this works for you, but if it doesn't at least you can return it and get your money back-unlike the BSS's that I freqquent. Moistuirizing is so important in your reggie, best of luck, and I hope this will become a staple for you.

i've been wanting to try Alba products for a while; i'm glad you like them. :yep: but i know where you can get those same products for about half-price. PM me so i'll be reminded to find those sites for you.

and i adore the smell of the kukui nut cream! i sniff it every time i walk into target. :lachen:

i've been wanting to try Alba products for a while; i'm glad you like them. :yep: but i know where you can get those same products for about half-price. PM me so i'll be reminded to find those sites for you.

and i adore the smell of the kukui nut cream! i sniff it every time i walk into target. :lachen:

PM'd you:look:!!!!! Thanks!

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only person doing this. I bought a coco butter/shea butter body butter from Giant in Oxon Hill last week, but I put some one my hair for a braid out and it was great. I took the braids down after two days and my hair was really soft and didn't poof in the humidity this past weekend. I figure if it's safe enough for the my living skin it should be ok for my dead hair.

I just tried Jason Natural, Vitamin E Hand & Body Lotion.I love it! My hair is shiny, and very moisturized! I got this cuz I couldnt find the product you posted.

the ingredients are
Aqua (Purified Water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Gel*, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Zinc Ricinoleate, Vegetable Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glycereth-2 Cocoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Natural Tocopherol Acetate (Vit. E), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Algae Extract, Chamellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Allantoin, Panthenol (Vit. B5), Retinyl Palmitate (Vit. A), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vit. C), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Benzoic Acid.

Last edited:
OP: I'm glad you found a moisturizer that works for you! It's so great to be able to solidify a part of one's regimen.

One of my favorite online vendors (www.Villainess.net) makes a whipped body moisturizer whose ingredients sound like they would be great for hair. I love it on my skin, and I've been waffling on whether or not to try it as a hair moisturizer.

Ingredients:Aqua (Water), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60, Cyclomethicone (and) Dimethiconol, Prunus (Cherry) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Does anyone see anything that might present an issue for hair? My hair loves butters, so I don't see oiliness being a problem. And I love that water is the first ingredient.

I have tried 50-11 moisturizers with out being really won over by anything. The closest I came for a creamy moistuirizer was a combo of Profective Break free+Profective growth lotion.

This past weekend Ella started a thread about using Bath and Body Works body creams as hair moisturizers, well my pj self was too lazy to go to the mall. So my pj self went to Target to see if I could find a suitable body cream that had some good ingredients.

What I discovered was Alba Kukui Nut body cream. When I opened the jar I almost passed out cause this cream smelled that good. I really didn't know if I could actually use a body cream on my hair. I put a dab of the cream on my skin, and put the cream in my basket. I wanted to finish shopping/thinking if I would really use a body cream on my hair. By the time I had finshed shopping that smell wore me down. And I bought it:yep:.

It cost 13.99 for 6.5 oz tub. I think it is a great price because it really has quality ingredients. Here are the ingredients:
Purified water, certified organic aloe barbadenis leaf juice, caprylic/capric triglyceride, safflower seed oil, stearic acid, vegetably glycerin, glyceryl stearate, glyceryl alcohol, shea butter, polysorbate 60, dimethicone, extracts of kukui seed, vanilla fruit, cucumber fruit, arnica montana flower and anacylus pyrethrum root, kukui seed oil, macadamia seed oil, cocoa seed butter, beta carotene, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexyglycerin, potassium, sorbate, vitamin e, carbomer, caramel and fragrance.

If its safe enough for my skin, then it shoud be safe enough for my hair:rolleyes:. That's my story and I am stickin with it.

I have used this daily since Saturday and it leaves my hair moisturized for the entire day.

Here is a pic, I am new to posting pictures, so I will apologize upfront for the size of this picture. I tried to resize, not sure what happened.

2008Products004.jpg
[/IMG]
I think I have some of that in my stash :scratchch

OP: I'm glad you found a moisturizer that works for you! It's so great to be able to solidify a part of one's regimen.

One of my favorite online vendors (www.Villainess.net) makes a whipped body moisturizer whose ingredients sound like they would be great for hair. I love it on my skin, and I've been waffling on whether or not to try it as a hair moisturizer.

Ingredients:Aqua (Water), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Polysorbate 60, Cyclomethicone (and) Dimethiconol, Prunus (Cherry) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Does anyone see anything that might present an issue for hair? My hair loves butters, so I don't see oiliness being a problem. And I love that water is the first ingredient.
You could have sold that to me as a hair butter... the only thing I don't recoginze off the bat is:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Behentrimonium Methosulfate[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Definition:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Made from colza oil (canola) Mild ingredient used as a emulsifier, recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin.[/FONT]
-Phenoxyethanol, chloroxylenol and chlorphenesin are all known preservatives for personal care products. Caprylyl glycol is a known moisturizer used in cosmetic preparations and is known to increase the antimicrobial activity of certain preservatives.

I would try it on my hair! :yep:

I saw this in my local natural foods store. I look at it every time I go in. The pj in me wants to get it, but I have been holding out.:yep:

The ingredients look good. I may have to try it :grin:

2008Products004.jpg
[/IMG]

You could have sold that to me as a hair butter... the only thing I don't recoginze off the bat is:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Behentrimonium Methosulfate[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Definition:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Made from colza oil (canola) Mild ingredient used as a emulsifier, recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin.[/FONT]
-Phenoxyethanol, chloroxylenol and chlorphenesin are all known preservatives for personal care products. Caprylyl glycol is a known moisturizer used in cosmetic preparations and is known to increase the antimicrobial activity of certain preservatives.

I would try it on my hair! :yep:

Thanks so much for this reply! I have a hard time sometimes looking up ingredients in products to figure out if they're safe or not. I'll give it a shot the next time I wash.

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only person doing this. I bought a coco butter/shea butter body butter from Giant in Oxon Hill last week, but I put some one my hair for a braid out and it was great. I took the braids down after two days and my hair was really soft and didn't poof in the humidity this past weekend. I figure if it's safe enough for the my living skin it should be ok for my dead hair.
Great minds think a like:yep:- my hair loves cocoa butter and shea

I just tried Jason Natural, Vitamin E Hand & Body Lotion.I love it! My hair is shiny, and very moisturized! I got this cuz I couldnt find the product you posted.

the ingredients are
Aqua (Purified Water), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Gel*, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Zinc Ricinoleate, Vegetable Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glycereth-2 Cocoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Natural Tocopherol Acetate (Vit. E), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Algae Extract, Chamellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Allantoin, Panthenol (Vit. B5), Retinyl Palmitate (Vit. A), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vit. C), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Benzoic Acid.

This sounds like a great prouct with great ingredients, the avocado oil sounds:lick:

whatever works! thats all that matters

I used baby lotion on my daughter's hair for a long time with beautiful results
Come to think of it I used baby lotion on all 3 of my kids when they were little.

That moisturizer sounds soo good, and IA it is so important to solidify your regimen, especially when for the past year you have been spending so much on sub par ingredients.

I think I have some of that in my stash :scratchch

ATL, I'm sure with your PJ self you definitely have some in your stash:lachen:
I saw this in my local natural foods store. I look at it every time I go in. The pj in me wants to get it, but I have been holding out.:yep:
Get it- I swear you will love it!
The ingredients look good. I may have to try it :grin:
Try it, try it:grin:

Y'all make me wanna run out and buy stuff. I've seen that Alba around, too. I tried my Kiss My Face lotion on my hair once, but was not impressed.

Y'all make me wanna run out and buy stuff. I've seen that Alba around, too. I tried my Kiss My Face lotion on my hair once, but was not impressed.

Maybe you could cheat and "try" some at the store befor you purchase:lachen:. I'm just sayin:look:.

Just wanted to update- It's been 5 months of using this body cream as a moisturizer and I am still head over hills.

Just bumping this because I know there are a lot of newbies still looking for that perfect moisturizer - I am so in love with this non traditional mositurizer.

Back