I have come to the conclusion

That I can not do a perm rod set. I tried and tried and the rods keep flipping and won't stay in place. I have read every tutorial on this board known to man, or should I say woman and I just can't do it. Maybe I can use small magnetic rollers and get the same effect. What do you think ladies?

Oh by the way, sorry I've been MIA. I've been really busy with work and my children.

A small magnetic roller can give you the same effect. Plus it would be easier to work with a magnetic roller vs. a perm rod. Give it a try, and let us know how it works out for you.

I agree!

I also have problems using the perm rods.

Thats why I just use the small magnetic rollers as Allandra mentioned :yep:

vaqtea said:
I agree!

I also have problems using the perm rods.

Thats why I just use the small magnetic rollers as Allandra mentioned :yep:
If I remember correctly, you had a pic in your album where you used the small magnetic rollers. You did a GREAT job.

Allandra said:
If I remember correctly, you had a pic in your album where you used the small magnetic rollers. You did a GREAT job.

Yes I remember these:) I was telling her the other day thst I loved her rollersets. I look forward to seeing more along with your updates Vaqtea:)

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
That I can not do a perm rod set. I tried and tried and the rods keep flipping and won't stay in place. I have read every tutorial on this board known to man, or should I say woman and I just can't do it. Maybe I can use small magnetic rollers and get the same effect. What do you think ladies?

Oh by the way, sorry I've been MIA. I've been really busy with work and my children.

Are you trying to do spirals or have tight curls? You may want to try some flexirods. They are easier to do. I've tried perm rods in the past and I was unsuccessfull.

Also, you might want to try bantu knots. I have barely there shoulder length hair and I make about 10-12 knots. I can post pics tomorrow, my internet is down at home. The bantu knots come out very curly. You can tweak the size of the knots to get different types of curls and it only takes about 20 mins.

shaffawn said:
Also, you might want to try bantu knots. I have barely there shoulder length hair and I make about 10-12 knots. I can post pics tomorrow, my internet is down at home. The bantu knots come out very curly. You can tweak the size of the knots to get different types of curls and it only takes about 20 mins.

Great idea, I've never tried those knots before. My hair comes to my colarbone and it's layered, hopefully they will work for me. What kinds of products do you use and what did you use to secure the knots?

gorgeoushair said:
Are you trying to do spirals or have tight curls? You may want to try some flexirods. They are easier to do. I've tried perm rods in the past and I was unsuccessfull.

I have flexirods but haven't used them yet. I may try them.

gorgeoushair said:
Yes I remember these:) I was telling her the other day thst I loved her rollersets. I look forward to seeing more along with your updates Vaqtea:)

Is there a certain direction you roll your hair when doing a roller set? I do roller wraps and roll all my hair in the same way machimour (sp?) did in her fotki

Here you go!

rodshelpto4.jpg

How to keep rods in your hair?
Someone asked a question about how you get the rods to stay in. Here's a close up of the back of the set. I used rods. See where the arrow is, there are two grooves on every roller to hold the rubber band. If you twist the band to the next groove, it will keep the rod in place. HTH.

Hey Pink N Green, sorry this took so long...
I did these on 85% air dried hair with Giovanni Leave In and a little tea tree oil. I didn't secure mine, but you can use pony tail holders or bobby pins. You can also do this on dry or wet hair

CIMG0097-1.jpg
CIMG0133-1.jpg

These are different days

Last edited:
Pink, I feel ya, Soror!

I used the perm rods, but they were the large ones. Had a hard time making them tight so they wouldn't fall out.

Turned out like this

1st roller set 1/07

Too curly:ohwell:

Then I did a bantu knot thingy.

Let's just say I looked crazy :antlers:! It was too scary to photograph! :eek:

(I will try it again, though, maybe not twist the hair so tight next time.)

Next I will try the magnetic rollers, as soon as I buy some.

Good luck with the sets & let us know how they turn out!

By the way, glad to see you're back.

girl your hair turned out really pretty, I love curly hair. I haven't done it yet, but as soon as I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the warm welcome

THe rods in the front of your hair, which direction do you roll them, toward your face or away from your face? I'm trying to get a spiral set and I love the way the rods make my hair fall and they last for a long time

crlsweetie912 said:
Here you go!

rodshelpto4.jpg

How to keep rods in your hair?
Someone asked a question about how you get the rods to stay in. Here's a close up of the back of the set. I used rods. See where the arrow is, there are two grooves on every roller to hold the rubber band. If you twist the band to the next groove, it will keep the rod in place. HTH.

Back