I have alopecia areata.Is a big chop inevitable?

africanqueen456

I have been dealing with alopecia since I was 14. I am now 21. I have never been able to grow my hair and the patches are setback for me.I would like some tips on what I should do. I really want to be bsl but I feel like my hair isnt even. I can't get braids or sew ins and I don't wear half wigs.
I know I have posted several threads about this because the situation has never been resolved. I also can not afford to keep going to the derm. I work part time and I am in college full time. I do plan on going when I can save up enough money.
.I am way too discouraged with my hair and I can't do anything with it. I cant make a decent ponytail or bun. I plan on not wearing it out anymore for good. I have been natural for a year and I am apl.
What should I do? Is a big chop inevitable?

I'm sorry to hear that OP. Have you tried calling a derm's office and see what the price is for a cash patient? It is normally lower than a patient with insurance and they may make consider a payment plan for you.

I would call the organization listed below. They may be able to help find a Derm for you at no to lo cost or provide you with funds.

http://www.naaf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

I'm unsure why you think a BC will fix the problem?

Last edited:
Why bc? Where are your patches located?

Seems to me that unless your patches are at the front of your head, then your natural hair would probably do a good job covering it, especially at your length.

To bc may reveal more than you wish to show and keeping your length would be more to your advantage.

If you are/were going the extension/weave route, then this could stress your follicles even more and make the situation worse.

You work AND are a FT student - sounds like lots of stress. Were you also going through a lot of stress during your early teens when the alopecia first began?

..talk to me OP.

I actually have a friend who was just informed recently that she has alopecia areata as well. She keeps asking me to put braids in for her, so she can give her hair a break but I keep trying to dissuade her. My only reasoning is because its putting extra unneeded stress on her scalp and it won't rid her of the constant shedding, she just wont see it.

africanqueen456 is there any other reasons I can give her? I see you already concluded that braids are a definite no for you.

--Sorry for invading your thread asking you questions, when you're looking for answers.

I would suggest not to big chop, it might make the alopecia areata more noticeable like a previous poster said.

Back