I have a theory

belletropjolie

I have a theory that heat may actually be better for my hair in reducing breakage and retaining length. I want to test this theory by applying heat and seeing if I notice significant reduction.

Background: I've had a few setbacks related to breakage e.g. in 2011, I had several sections of my hair that were broken off down to like 4 or 5 inches:nono: I never seemed to have this kind of breakage when my hair was relaxed and kept straight.

The other aspect is that my hair gets tangled EXTREMELY easily. To the point where I try not to wash my hair too often because it takes hours to properly detangle (even when I wash/dry in sections).

I also lose A LOT of hair in general because I have multiple textures so my hair tends to "clump" on itself. Essentially I have shrinkage in the areas of my hair that are very underprocessed and they tend to tangle.

I currently have my hair in braids under a wig so I'm not worried about manipulation. My plan is to have my hair straightened whenever I'm out of braids and test to see if I have significantly less breakage.

I know this goes against LHCF orthodoxy so I want to see if anyone has experienced better progress and retention with heat. If you have, please please share! TIA!

My hair is definitely better with heat . The heat seals in the moisture.
But you have to tread carefully because heat has it's own consequences unfortunately (split ends)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My hair is definitely better with heat . The heat seals in the moisture.
But you have to tread carefully because heat has it's own consequences unfortunately (split ends)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thanks for sharing sharifeh! I don't need the hair to be bone skrait/"swanging" but just enough to press out the kinks/coils that tangle on each other. I definitely hair you though because heat is its own animal. I guess i'm trying to figure out which is the lesser evil.

Unfortunately, I already have split ends, well more like mid strand splits that I am trying to manage.

PJaye, how did you incorporate heat? Is it through just blowdrying or blowdry and flat iron?

I haven't straightened in probably over a year, so I'm need to do some research on which application method will give me the best results and least damage.

Have you considered blowdrying? It stretches the ends and prevents single strand knots, and since you're not looking for bone straight hair you don't have to worry about your roots getting super straight.

Since late December, I've been air drying and flat ironing ~ every 2-3 weeks. Normally, my hair is extremely fragile and tangles ridiculously at the drop of a hat. However, with regular straightening I've seen a decrease in tangles, SSKs, shedding and breakage. My hair definitely feels stronger.

I did quite a bit of research before embarking upon this new methodology, too. The best advice I can give you is: (1) Use the most moisturizing DC in your arsenal beforehand because it will help protect against heat damage and facilitate a better straightening experience; (2) Apply a minimal of post-DC products; (3) Decide which heat protectant will glean the best results - serum or spray; (4) Perfect your straightening technique.

I wish you the best and implore you to update this thread during each step of your journey.:yep:

I think I may test this out too. Most likely using blow-dry tension method. I did this a couple weeks ago and dealing with my hair was so much easier during the week. I'll air dry to about 80% dry then use blow dryer on low heat setting.

Every 2-3 weeks I blow dry using the tension method and my hair is doing great. Before hand I always do a hot oil treatment and DC with heat. When I'm done with each section I seal it with a light butter. I've been doing this since December and so far so good. Hoping it can be my long term routine.

Since late December, I've been air drying and flat ironing ~ every 2-3 weeks. Normally, my hair is extremely fragile and tangles ridiculously at the drop of a hat. However, with regular straightening I've seen a decrease in tangles, SSKs, shedding and breakage. My hair definitely feels stronger

I did quite a bit of research before embarking upon this new methodology, too. The best advice I can give you is: (1) Use the most moisturizing DC in your arsenal beforehand because it will help protect against heat damage and facilitate a better straightening experience; (2) Apply a minimal of post-DC products; (3) Decide which heat protectant will glean the best results - serum or spray; (4) Perfect your straightening technique.

I wish you the best and implore you to update this thread during each step of your journey.:yep:

PJaye thank you so much for sharing! I'm glad that this has worked for you so far. I want to approach this in an almost scientific fashion i.e. test my hypothesis. Growth has never been my challenge but retention has been challenging for me. I really hope I can cut down the breakage. For sure i will be back updating you guys on how things go. I plan on switching from wigs to bunning in March so I have some time to research and find the best method.

I Rollerset weekly to avoid tangling problems

hi Blairx0 I a curious about this. Does the rollersetting truly stretch your hair? I ask because rollersets don't really give me that true stretch only blowdrying or flatironing seems to do it. maybe its a hair texture thing? I am a 4b/z so Im thinking that could be why.

I agree with your theory Op. Some textures like 4b 4c do much better with heat. Thin hair, fine hair or looser textures not so much.

Hmmm, what if you have fine 4b? What do you think? Prettymetty

I think fine 4b is a lot easier to manipulate so a lower temperature would be sufficient. My dd has really soft, fine 4b. I wouldnt dare use heat yet, but when shes older I will use the lowest setting on my Sedu revolutionn it goes from 1-25

im thinking of trying that too. Im so plagued by SSK's. In my natural state my ssk's tangled with other strands, rip them, and cause splits. But even when i blow dry my hair my ends are still balls of ssk's.

Hey guys I found a pretty good blowdry tutorial that I think will workk for me. In MsKibibi's tutorial, she was constantly detangling - both with the blowdryer attachment and then again with the seamless comb.

One of the problems I've had in the past with blowdrying is that I didn't take the time to properly detangle. So when I applied the blowdryer heat, it was almost like I was freezing the knots and tangles into place. Anyone else had that experience?

link to tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rRdJj-464

Back