I have a Fotki account!!!

Silkycoils

Hi ladies,

I have previously posted some of my pics on a yahoo page, but I got with it and created a Fotki account. There aren't many pictures, but it shows my progress from Feb. 2004 (shortly after I found this board) to now. Check it out. I hope you like it.

http://public.fotki.com/silkynic/

password: longhair

Last edited:
Your hair looks nice. :yep:

btw, I'm a lil confused... are you relaxed, texturized or natural???

happy hair growing!!! ;)

Gorgeous. Your hair is kinda shaped like mine; from the front no one can ever tell I have hair past my shoulders in the back, lol. Good progress, you're very pretty. Happy growing. ^_^

Love your hair. Especially the tree braids. For the last year I have been considering tree braids. How long have you been getting them? Do they stress your edges? Have you noticed any growth? TIA

Thanks ladies :)

Brickhouse: I only got them once b/c the lady is based out of Atlanta and I go to school in D.C. I really liked them b/c I could wash my hair and it would airdry into the exact same style. The lady used synthetic hair and she cut and styled it and added the different colored hair to create highlights. I will be moving to Atl. and I will DEFINITELY get them again. For anyone having trouble stretching, this will help. She charges $150, which to me is not that bad considering they can last for months. I kept mine in about a month and a half. Anywho, her name is Karen and her number is: 404-309-2574. She will travel if there are a group of ladies in the same area who want to get their hair done and pay her travel expenses. Feel free to tell her Nicole referred you ;)

nslewis said:
Thanks ladies :)

Brickhouse: I only got them once b/c the lady is based out of Atlanta and I go to school in D.C. I really liked them b/c I could wash my hair and it would airdry into the exact same style. The lady used synthetic hair and she cut and styled it and added the different colored hair to create highlights. I will be moving to Atl. and I will DEFINITELY get them again. For anyone having trouble stretching, this will help. She charges $150, which to me is not that bad considering they can last for months. I kept mine in about a month and a half. Anywho, her name is Karen and her number is: 404-309-2574. She will travel if there are a group of ladies in the same area who want to get their hair done and pay her travel expenses. Feel free to tell her Nicole referred you ;)

Thanks girl. I think I will definitely get some this summer. I know my new growth will be unbearable. I am in Macon so driving to ATL is no problem. I was a little hesistant because most people I talk to told me that they had a headache for days and the edges are braided too tight. Have you experience any of these problems? Will I need to get my own hair or does she provide the hair? Thanks for the info.

onepraying: This is like my third time going from natural back to relaxed. I first went natural in 1995 when I read that book "Good Hair" by Lonnice, blah, blah, blah. Anywho, my hair was past my shoulders and relatively healthy, but I felt guilted for relaxing, like I was ashamed of my natural texture and one day in a moment of defiance, I chopped it all off. I stayed natural for about a year and a half, but I was still uncomfortable with my hair (b/c I didn't know how to take care of it). I used to wear comb coils and eventually double-strand twists. Well, I relaxed again and kept that a few months and then I shaved (yes, shaved) it off. I wore headwraps. It grew in and I used to get my hair pressed. During that time, I got my hair colored red w/blonde highlights (yikes!!!) I went back to college in Virginia and it was waaayyy humid so a press and curl was not the move on the regular. I relaxed again in 1999 and wore that for two years and it was fine, I had no problems, but I wanted back to my roots and in 2001 I chopped . . . again. Well, I'm rocking my fro and my twists and in everything's cool. In 2002, I found another hair board that specialized in napptural hair and it was on. There I learned to do the pantyhose headband afro-puffs and about conditioner washes, you name it. I just knew I was cute (I was ;) ) Well, I found this board in Feb. 2004 and I saw Tracy's picture and I was like, Dangit, I miss my wash and set!!! I agonized a bit about going back to the chemical (I tell ya, hair is SUCH an issue as a Black Woman) and finally after speaking with my aunt and my mother, I was able to reconcile myself with the fact that I am proud of my natural texture and relaxing doesn't mean that I am not. I am just a woman who likes change and doesn't like to look the same for too long. Simple, right? Well, I know that was long.

Brickhouse: There was no tension and she provides the hair. Post pics if you get them

Sawry about my hair history. :)

I am glad to hear no tension. I am getting a touchup next week, so I will be waiting a few weeks before I get the tree braids. I will keep you upated. Thanks.

I finally set up an appointment with Karen for my tree braids because she is featured in Sophisticated Black Hair. You are right she does not braid the edges tight. Is that your pic in the magazine? I will be seeing her on July 3rd.

Back