I have a few updated pics in my fotki- I need advice

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I suck at taking pics, but a few came out well. I need advice on natural styles and making them look good. My twists look a little busted. I need more practice to get them to look tight and uniform. I'll be doing a modified protective style challenge. Braids in for two weeks, out for a week and then back in for two more weeks. Once I get these styles down, I can be confident at leaving them in for longer periods of time. If you guys can, please give me tips that help you keep twists in for longer time. I just use my own hair for now because extensions and I don't get along.:nono:

Your hair looks good, did you do the cornrows? They look awesome. I cannot cornrow to save my life lol. I love twists though, they are my favorite protective style. When I first bc'd my hair would not hold twists in the crown area for any length of time, they would just unravel, but overtime my hair in that area got more coily vs. wavy and now holds twists nicely for a week or two. Your hair just may not be kinky or coily enough to hold the twists. What have you tried so far? I just use s-curl or some other kind of moisturizer and oil when I twist. I suppose gel may help them hold, I don't know. Maybe you'll need to wait for a little more length and then try twists then. Good luck.

I got them done at a salon. I wish I could cornrow!:grin: I am now practicing daily how to twist my hair. I do OK until I get to my crown, where the thickest and most defiant part of my hair is. I'm not giving up until I get this style down pat. Thank you for your advice. I tried twisting with gel, and it works for the sides, but the defiant crown won't be held down for me. I'm getting better, it's just not good enough to leave the house with. I don't want to be caught outside and end up :blush:in a thread on LHCF.:lachen:

Last edited:
How are the twists coming out in your crown area? Are they sticking up and out? I ask because I know a lot of people say their hair won't "hang". What exactly is going wrong with your twists in that area? If what I mentioned is the problem then I think you will likely need more product when twisting that area to help hold them down and like I said before, you may need a little more length. Also, can the ladies that cornrow your hair do twists too? Maybe they can do it for you for awhile and/or give you some advice.

My hair won't stay twisted. I don't know why it won't. My braider doesn't do twists, but that's why I'm working so hard to learn how to do it myself. It is the shorter part of my hair, so maybe it will be better when my hair grows longer. Technique can also be the problem, so I will be doing everything I can to get as much practice as I can. I appreciate your advice, Hopeful. Some day, I hope to do my own hair like you do.

My hair won't stay twisted. I don't know why it won't. My braider doesn't do twists, but that's why I'm working so hard to learn how to do it myself. It is the shorter part of my hair, so maybe it will be better when my hair grows longer. Technique can also be the problem, so I will be doing everything I can to get as much practice as I can. I appreciate your advice, Hopeful. Some day, I hope to do my own hair like you do.

Have you tried to the flat twist? (the twist version of a cornrow) They help me have more control of the direction that the twist fall in.

I haven't done twists a lot on myself but I knew a girl who did and she gave me some advice on doing them. When she did hers she would put gel at the roots of her hair before she started twisting each twist and this helped to keep the twist from unraveling later.

I tried this myself on some twists I did and it worked. And my hair is prone to easily slipping out of styles (like twists or braids) if not secured. So maybe you could try that. I used IC Fantasia gel (the blue one) when I did mine.

Back