I half inch of ng to little to relax.

SleepyJean

I only get about quarter of an inch a month. I've tried supplements, and my washing regimen is GREAT! I just can't grow my hair, so I'm convinced now that everyone has a predetermined growth-rate range. Ne ways, I just wanted to know, did you think this was too little to relax?

I don't go by the ng, i go by the months. I usually stretch my relaxers to 3months. How often are you stretching your relaxer?

I only get about quarter of an inch a month. I've tried supplements, and my washing regimen is GREAT! I just can't grow my hair, so I'm convinced now that everyone has a predetermined growth-rate range. Ne ways, I just wanted to know, did you think this was too little to relax?

yes.............................

I've always been told by professional beauticians that you should have about an inch of new growth before you relax.

[/b]

yes.............................

Thanks. I'm in a little bit of an enigma. I want to stretch more, but my mother, who doesn't have a relaxer, my hair type, or my growth rate, thinks I should because she thinks it's too long to go without a relaxer. I'm getting Senior pics, too, so she thinks I might as well get a relaxer while I get my hair styled. I'm trying to stretch longer, because I have overprocessed ends. I think it would be beneficial to stretch in this crucial state to prevent overlapping, but of course my mom disagrees.

What is your washing regime?

Every other week I:
1. Clarify
2. protein treatment(overnight)
3. CW
4. Conditioning shampoo
5. DC
6. ACV

It probably seems like less because of shrinkage. How many weeks has it been since you relaxed? You need to wait at least 8 weeks.

About 12 weeks when I get the relaxer. I've been doing 8 week stretches for about two years before LHCF. My hair stayed the same length! My hair grows sloooow

About 12 weeks when I get the relaxer. I've been doing 8 week stretches for about two years before LHCF. My hair stayed the same length! My hair grows sloooow

It's probably not that your hair wasn't growing. I mean essentially if your hair wasn't growing, you'd never have new growth which would mean that you'd never need a touch up. It must have been breaking off at the ends faster than it was growing. The trick to growing longer hair isn't necessarily getting your hair to grow faster from the root, but to retain the hair you've grown starting with keeping those ends intact. Your ends are the most fragile part of your hair because they are the oldest.

Look up this thread started by "wantingtogrow.' Hope its helpfull. Good luck
Slow Growers, what technique or Growth Aid really boosted your hair growth

It's probably not that your hair wasn't growing. I mean essentially if your hair wasn't growing, you'd never have new growth which would mean that you'd never need a touch up. It must have been breaking off at the ends faster than it was growing. The trick to growing longer hair isn't necessarily getting your hair to grow faster from the root, but to retain the hair you've grown starting with keeping those ends intact. Your ends are the most fragile part of your hair because they are the oldest.

:yep:

That's it in a nutshell...if your ends are breaking off, then your hair seems like it's staying the same lenght. And if your ends are overprocessed, they are even more fragile.

Shorthair, I see that you clarify and use a protein conditioner (which one?) overnight...is this causing much dryness? Are you noticing any breakage?

:yep:

That's it in a nutshell...if your ends are breaking off, then your hair seems like it's staying the same lenght. And if your ends are overprocessed, they are even more fragile.

Shorthair, I see that you clarify and use a protein conditioner (which one?) overnight...is this causing much dryness? Are you noticing any breakage?

I was going to say this as well. If your hair isn't breaking or anything, then maybe you shouldn't be concerned, however clarifying every other week, doing protein overnight, and ACV may be a lot. I agree with bmoreflyygirl, if your hair wasn't growing, then essentially you wouldn't have anything to relax. Personally, when it comes to relaxing, I do not go by months, I go by the amount of new growth (it just happens that I get enough new growth by 4 months, but it varies depending on my eating habits).

I would suggest just to baby your ends, and if you must get a relaxer, coat your relaxed hair with conditioner or oil. Or...you can just get a dominican rollerset to straighten the roots only (not your length). That way you can still have a nice style/straight look for your pictures and can wait till you have more new growth to relax. In the future, you may want to experiment with other methods that other ladies use to increase growth (MTG, BT, MN, etc.) HTH!!!

Be positive. Our worries mess with out bodies. (Let's change that member name to Longhairforever! :grin:) Chop those damaged ends off, hair is deads cell, so it cant repair itself. Once its too far gone, they need to be chopped off.

Be positive. Our worries mess with out bodies. (Let's change that member name to Longhairforever! :grin:) Chop those damaged ends off, hair is deads cell, so it cant repair itself. Once its too far gone, they need to be chopped off.

That's what i'm talking about! I'm just wondering when your hair does grow and you hit your ultimate hair goal, will you rename yourself? But i also think that it sounds like too much protein, you should concentrate on more moisture. What are you using as a leave in condition? And what are you using as a daily moisturizer? Hopefully myself and the other ladies can help you nip this breakage in the bud!

I agree with the other ladies. I don't think it's wise to be using a protein conditioner overnight. And you might not want to use it every week either. Protein is good for strengthening weak hair but on the other hand too much protein can cause shedding or breakage. And clarifying already dry or damaged hair too often can aggravate it even more. You might want to start DCing with a moisturizing conditioner overnight every week and doing protein maybe every 2 weeks or once a month.

I agree with the other ladies. I don't think it's wise to be using a protein conditioner overnight. And you might not want to use it every week either. Protein is good for strengthening weak hair but on the other hand too much protein can cause shedding or breakage. And clarifying already dry or damaged hair too often can aggravate it even more. You might want to start DCing with a moisturizing conditioner overnight every week and doing protein maybe every 2 weeks or once a month.

I do wash my hair every 2 weeks. I use soooo much oil to moisturize my fry ends, that I think a clarifyer is neccesary. I also use sillicones, so I worry about the build up.

Last edited:
That's what i'm talking about! I'm just wondering when your hair does grow and you hit your ultimate hair goal, will you rename yourself? But i also think that it sounds like too much protein, you should concentrate on more moisture. What are you using as a leave in condition? And what are you using as a daily moisturizer? Hopefully myself and the other ladies can help you nip this breakage in the bud!

Yeah! That's exactly my goal. Once I get SL I'm changing my name, to represent my new self. :kiss3: I ALWAYS use a leave-im. I have for...my entire like. I use a knock off BT oil as a moisturizer for the scalp, and Hot Six Oil spray for the hair. I can use anything water based, because my hair frizzes like crazy. I actually do want to cut those dead ends off, but my mom insists I let someone else do it. I don't trust beauticians like that, though. I wan't to see how long my hair will be if I try to take care of it the best I can. I'm just going to cut about 2 inches off in May 2008, and hope my hair grow some until then.

Yeah! That's exactly my goal. Once I get SL I'm changing my name, to represent my new self. :kiss3: I ALWAYS use a leave-im. I have for...my entire like. I use a knock off BT oil as a moisturizer for the scalp, and Hot Six Oil spray for the hair. I can use anything water based, because my hair frizzes like crazy. I actually do want to cut those dead ends off, but my mom insists I let someone else do it. I don't trust beauticians like that, though. I wan't to see how long my hair will be if I try to take care of it the best I can. I'm just going to cut about 2 inches off in May 2008, and hope my hair grow some until then.

O.k., we may have found the problem...oil is NOT a moisturizer.

What you're doing is basically sealing any moisture out of your hair, it can't get in because of the oil...so it gets drier, and drier, and eventually breakage occurs.

You say you can't use water based moisturizers...have you tried a creamy leave in, then sealing the ends? That way you don't get the frizz, and your hair stays moisturized.

What you're doing is basically sealing any moisture out of your hair, it can't get in because of the oil...so it gets drier, and drier, and eventually breakage occurs.

You say you can't use water based moisturizers...have you tried a creamy leave in, then sealing the ends? That way you don't get the frizz, and your hair stays moisturized.

Girl you hit the nail on the head! I went through the same thing thinking if I oiled my ends it would protect them. Wrong! and 3 inches shorter!:wallbash:

I don't wash my hair too often. It takes toooooooo long to that every other day. I know oil isn't actually a moisturizer, but I cannot use leave-in. Most creamy leave ins are water based too. I have relaxed 4B(for real) hair, and leave ins cannot work.

I don't wash my hair too often. It takes toooooooo long to that every other day. I know oil isn't actually a moisturizer, but I cannot use leave-in. Most creamy leave ins are water based too. I have relaxed 4B(for real) hair, and leave ins cannot work.

are you afraid water bsaed moisturizer will leave your hair frizzy? I use wave nouveau moisturizing lotion in the blue bottle and it doesnt leave my hair frizzy unless i OD with it.

u definitely need a water based moisturizer if you want to preserve your ends.

I think so, unless you use ouch less bands to seperate the relaxed hair from the new growth. I think you need to wait longer if you can.

It can be different for eveyone. I would relax because if I had an inch of new growth and didn't relax--my hair would break like no tomorrow-espcially if i didn't do protective styling like a weave :perplexed.

are you afraid water bsaed moisturizer will leave your hair frizzy? I use wave nouveau moisturizing lotion in the blue bottle and it doesnt leave my hair frizzy unless i OD with it.

u definitely need a water based moisturizer if you want to preserve your ends.

Yes, I might be a little, but I've had bad experiences. When your trying to rock a straight bob, you really don't want it to look like a frizzy braid-out by the end of the day. I put glycerin on my ends recently, and my hair went out of control! Glycerin essentially draws in water from the humid air, because it is a humectant. I would say it is similar to a leave-in. I've had numerous others, too, from when I was younger. Water and my hair = :afropick:. Even with a relaxer. I have pics. It's funny!

Yes, I might be a little, but I've had bad experiences. When your trying to rock a straight bob, you really don't want it to look like a frizzy braid-out by the end of the day. I put glycerin on my ends recently, and my hair went out of control! Glycerin essentially draws in water from the humid air, because it is a humectant. I would say it is similar to a leave-in. I've had numerous others, too, from when I was younger. Water and my hair = :afropick:. Even with a relaxer. I have pics. It's funny!

maybe something like mango butter might be good? It does nothing for me in terms of moisture but I heard it works for other ladies here. I dont think it will leave your hair frizzy based on the texture of it, even though it's water based, but it's a butter, not liquidy (sp?) at all.

You have to use something or else those ends will go bye-bye.

You should do a search on different moisturizers.

first, imo u cant nurse fried ends, you need to cut them off before the damaged travel up the hair strand. YOu have to let them go.

Another you have to use a waterbased leave-in. I know u like to sport your bob, but dont you want a healthy bob? wear a braid-out so that you can add moisture and oil daily unitl your hair is healthy. Try applying it at night so that you can tie your hair flat and it be straight in the morining.

You have to work and sacrifice for long healthy hair. You have some who use their baggy in public. You cant keep your old habits.
I say this with love.:luv2:

Back