I had to check myself after yelling at a woman today in the wig store!

naturalmanenyc

I went to go check out some new hair today and was wearing my BJ Amani wig. A white woman, well Ukranian I think based on her and her mother's conversation, was in the store trying on hair - as was her mom.

I walk in with my hair on and my coat and they watched me for a few seconds. Probably because they saw me taking off my coat and then taking off my hair.:lachen:

I know the ladies that work at this store since I go there often so I proceed to put on my stocking cap (on top of my durag that was under my wig) and I tried on a few styles. Gabrielle by Sensationnel is really cute (synthetic) but the Modu handmade collection (at least style 118) was too silky, like doll hair. Sensationnel has some human hair lace fronts as well but they do not use real lace but rather that same plastic mesh that is used for most BSS synthetics.

Why did this white woman keep staring at the styles I tried (synthetic and human lace fronts) and then she tried them all on too.

So, why did I have to yell at her - almost? She was not finding a style that she liked so she proceeds to pick up MY HAIR that was sitting with my coat & my purse and was about to put MY HAIR on her head!!! I did not yell per se but I did say "STOP, that is MY HAIR." "That is not for sale." The clerk didn't realize that it was MY HAIR at first and also stopped the woman from trying it on. She was about 5 feet away from me but not really speaking English well; however, she understood STOP.

She did put MY HAIR down, back beside my purse, but I did have to check myself and ask the clerk if I was too loud/rude. She said that I was not rude or too loud and that the woman should not have touched MY HAIR in the first place.

She did not pull that hair off of a mannequin head and she and her mom watched me come in wearing it with my coat so she knew that it was not something to try on.

JUST NASTY!!! And another reason to wash your hair before you put it on or at least use a wig cap until you can wash it.

ETA - Gabrielle is $54.99 locally
The human hair version was $150 or so and the density is too light IMHO

Last edited:
Wow. I just don't get some people.:nono:

You did the right thing and I think that most people would have had the same reaction if some stranger was grabbing at their stuff. Did she say anything to you after she put the hair down?

I went to go check out some new hair today and was wearing my BJ Amani wig. A white woman, well Ukranian I think based on her and her mother's conversation, was in the store trying on hair - as was her mom.

I walk in with my hair on and my coat and they watched me for a few seconds. Probably because they saw me taking off my coat and then taking off my hair.:lachen:

I know the ladies that work at this store since I go there often so I proceed to put on my stocking cap (on top of my durag that was under my wig) and I tried on a few styles. Gabrielle by Sensationnel is really cute (synthetic) but the Modu handmade collection (at least style 118) was too silky, like doll hair. Sensationnel has some human hair lace fronts as well but they do not use real lace but rather that same plastic mesh that is used for most BSS synthetics.

Why did this white woman keep staring at the styles I tried (synthetic and human lace fronts) and then she tried them all on too.

So, why did I have to yell at her - almost? She was not finding a style that she liked so she proceeds to pick up MY HAIR that was sitting with my coat & my purse and was about to put MY HAIR on her head!!! I did not yell per se but I did say "STOP, that is MY HAIR." "That is not for sale." The clerk didn't realize that it was MY HAIR at first and also stopped the woman from trying it on. She was about 5 feet away from me but not really speaking English well; however, she understood STOP.

She did put MY HAIR down, back beside my purse, but I did have to check myself and ask the clerk if I was too loud/rude. She said that I was not rude or too loud and that the woman should not have touched MY HAIR in the first place.

She did not pull that hair off of a mannequin head and she and her mom watched me come in wearing it with my coat so she knew that it was not something to try on.

JUST NASTY!!! And another reason to wash your hair before you put it on or at least use a wig cap until you can wash it.

Absolutely! I vinegar/water wash every wig I buy, rarely trying it on even at the store...I know now what will be right on my head. The sales people are surprised because I refuse to try on a wig without a scarf beneath it. Reg's Wife...keep that purse in your hands too or use a sling across bag-who knows what she'd pick up next!

I don't think you were rude to her. She should have known that that was yours. Or maybe she wasn't paying close attention.

:lachen: :lachen: :dead:

I'm sorry, but you are absolutely right about being careful, though. I would've been too through after that one. You handled it very well.

That's crazy. She knew it was your wig, she just thought she could do what she want. :rolleyes: I would have told her to stop, drop and lock it! J/K. :lachen:But, no, you weren't rude; you handled her very well. :yep:

:lachen: :lachen:

Girl she couldn't help herself, she was mesmerized! You came in looking good, and erry piece of hair you put on you head looked good. She just wanted a piece of the magic. :love:

Hopefully she's thinking back on her mistake and has learned her lesson before somebody with less couth than you, breaks her and her momma off. :lachen:

I told DH, who carries lysol with him in his daily travels, that she had a really short hair cut and he said that she probably had to cut her hair off because she had head lice or ringworm. He was trying to freak me out even more since she even touched my hair. Despite washing my hair out a few days ago, I ended up washing it again last night.....just in case.

Last edited:
I told DH, who carries lysol with him in his daily travels, that she had a really short hair cut and he said that she probably had to cut her hair off because she had head lice or ringworm. He was trying ot freak me out even more since she even touched my hair. Despite washing my hair out a few days ago, I ended up washing it again last night.....just in case.

Eewwww... :nono::nono::nono: That would freak me out too.

Beyond gross. Glad you didn't go off on her too bad though you would have been well within your rights.

This isn't quite as bad but I remember one time I was walking around Ulta and this woman was trying out all the brushes and combs. Just running them through her hair and putting them back down. I saw her do this with at least 6 or 7 brushes. EWWW!!!

Back