I had a relaxer yesterday and I'm not happy (long)

Yarnie

I had a relaxer yesterday and I\'m not happy (long)

I had a relaxer yesterday and I'm having very mixed feelings about it.

First of all I used Cream of Nature no-lye Regular formula. I normally use the Super formula, but decided to change because I thought it would be better to the health of my hair in the long run, as I now am trying to grow it longer.

So, as a result my just-relaxed hair is not straight and looks very different for the length! I was expecting and prepared for a different texture and all, but I never thought that it would be that noticeable after a rollerset! It is rough to the touch and it feels like I have about 4 weeks of newgrouth. The hair looked dry (not the length, that was shiny, just the just-relaxed part) so I put some moisturizer in it and immediately it reverted. It looked like a 3ish texture, very wavy.

The worst thing is that I have lots of breakage now, very long strands but without the bulb, so I know its not shedding... and this NEVER happened after I have a relaxer. Even my mum noticed the unusual breakage when she was rollerseting (she's the one who does my relaxers).

I'm going to do protein treatments until the breakage stops, but in the meanwhile I'd like to know, especially from the 4a/b heads:

* Which relaxer strength do you use?

* If you use regular, how does your hair look like? Does it get straight with rollers?

* Do you think is possible to grow long hair (bra-strap length or longer) using super formulas for relaxing, without the hair thinning out?

Sorry this is so long, but I'm really feeling miserable now... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Re: I had a relaxer yesterday and I\'m not happy (long)

Hi Yarnie,

Don't feel miserable girl. A lot of us can relate to a bad relaxer experience.

I stopped using no-lye relaxers a couple of months ago. I found that it made my hair look and feel dry. And even after I had just gotten it done, it would look like it needed to be done over again! /images/graemlins/censored.gif

Definately do the protein treatment to get the breakage under control. /images/graemlins/whip.gif

I currently use the regular strength of any relaxer. It is fine with me. My hair looks straight after a rollerset. /images/graemlins/smile.gif The different strengths of relaxers were made for hair that responds very easily (mild), to hair that is more resistant, (super). You can definately grow hair long using the super strength as long as it is applied properly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheer up sister, it's going to be o.k! /images/graemlins/user.gif

i have 4a textured hair and i've used mild before. I still got the str8 look i wanted because the roller set hepled it, but i had some shrinkage when wet.
I've also used reg. strength and i found that it makes my hair too straight for my liking when left on for 25 mins.

Yranie please understand this about relaxers.... the strengths go according to how fast they work. mild works slower and has more additives than lye, reg works faster , and super gets going quick. What i mean by they "work" faster is the rate by which they break down the structure of the hair. ex) when i apply my own relaxer (it takes longer for m to apply) i use mild to give me more time, then i let it stand for 10 mins and i neutralize.

i know you're using no-lye but i've found that lye formulations get my hair straighter, just a thought. HTH

Hi Pebbles and Beana3

Thanks for the kind replies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I appreciate the explanation about the relaxer strengths, it does make sense. I never really understood it, I actually thought it had to do with the texture, I didn't realise people with the same hair type could need different relaxer strengths to work with their hair. As most of you Ladies were using milder relaxers and have such beautiful hair, I just assumed that maybe I was overprocessing mine... I do have a lot to lean, I know... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

As for the lye vs. no-lye issue I was thinking of changing to lye, but I chickened out. I am really afraid of having burns due to my sensitive scalp (have to master the basing technique). And it isn't easy to convince my mom, she has all this horror stories from way back in the days. I told her that lye has come a long way, but she isn't confortable with it yet. She told me that if I really wanted it I should go to a hairdresser and that really isn't an option for me now. I had nothing but bad experiences in hair salons, and by relaxing at home I'm in control of the whole process.

Well, I'm going back to what works for me, in the next touchup. Thanks again!

i understand you fear of going to a salon, I have a deep one too /images/graemlins/cry3.gif If a lye relaxer is out of your comfort zone, then dont apply it. If the no-lye has been working fine for you, stick with it, just make sure to moisturize your hair often!!!

Good Luck Yarnie! Hope it all works out!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back